Author Topic: Ambient Weather WS-5000 vs WeatherFlow Tempest  (Read 9015 times)

Offline bandityo

Ambient Weather WS-5000 vs WeatherFlow Tempest
« on: April 28, 2020, 03:41:10 PM »
Both of these have Ultrasonic Anenometers  and a couple of slightly different features but both are at a similiar price point.  I know the tempest isnt out yet, but has been in testing and the ws-5000 is also about as new.

I like the console that comes with Ambient, but like that Tempest comes with extra features such as lightning and rain sensor without an extra component.

Hmm! what to do!

David

Offline CochiseKev

Re: Ambient Weather WS-5000 vs WeatherFlow Tempest
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 02:02:29 AM »
I've had the original WeatherFlow station for about 8 months. VERY happy with it. I have a Tempest coming in the first batch, which may ship as soon as this week.

I'm not sure why a separate console is even a thing in 2020. WeatherFlow has an app for iOS, Android, iPadOS, and of course a web interface. All work extremely well.

I've had zero issues with the current setup - other than the haptic rain sensor not being particularly precise. That's a tradeoff I'm willing to make for not having to screw around with moving parts that fail frequently, leaves in the rain bucket, etc. WF adjusts the rainfall total daily, based on other local readings. Precise? Obviously not. OK for a backyard PWS? I think so. It's also extraordinarily easy to set up and get connected to Weather Underground. The base station sits inside and has crazy-long range. Current setup has 2 separate sensors, while the Tempest will incorporate everything in a single, solar-powered unit. I have the option solar panel on my current one. The separate temp unit uses batteries but I'm still on the first set 8 months in and they're fine.

I really like WeatherFlow and their communication with their customers is great. I think you'd be pleased too if you go in that direction. Good luck!

My station..

https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/station/9225/grid
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 02:04:55 AM by CochiseKev »

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 04:16:08 AM »
Both of these have Ultrasonic Anenometers  and a couple of slightly different features but both are at a similiar price point.  I know the tempest isnt out yet, but has been in testing and the ws-5000 is also about as new.

I like the console that comes with Ambient, but like that Tempest comes with extra features such as lightning and rain sensor without an extra component.

Hmm! what to do!

David

I am not familiar with the Weatherflow although I have heard many good things about it.
However I would say that the WS80 (the Ultra-sonic sensor array) that Ambient use in the WS5000 has been out in the field since last Summer worldwide so is fairly well tested now and a known component. I have to say I love mine for its accuracy and responsiveness.
The rain gauge that would be part of the WS5000 is also a high precision unit and by virtue of it being separate means that you can position close to the ground in an optimal location and is therefore easy to maintain/clean.

The fact that you can add new sensors as they come out to me is just such a bonus and compelling reason to buy Ambient/Ecowitt/Fine Offset!

Good luck with your choice!
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline giusCB

• www.turismometeo.it
  • Forecaster
    • TurismoMeteo OdV Webcam Streaming and Weather Stations live
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 04:45:26 AM »
I've had the original WeatherFlow station for about 8 months. VERY happy with it. I have a Tempest coming in the first batch, which may ship as soon as this week.

I'm not sure why a separate console is even a thing in 2020. WeatherFlow has an app for iOS, Android, iPadOS, and of course a web interface. All work extremely well.

I've had zero issues with the current setup - other than the haptic rain sensor not being particularly precise. That's a tradeoff I'm willing to make for not having to screw around with moving parts that fail frequently, leaves in the rain bucket, etc. WF adjusts the rainfall total daily, based on other local readings. Precise? Obviously not. OK for a backyard PWS? I think so. It's also extraordinarily easy to set up and get connected to Weather Underground. The base station sits inside and has crazy-long range. Current setup has 2 separate sensors, while the Tempest will incorporate everything in a single, solar-powered unit. I have the option solar panel on my current one. The separate temp unit uses batteries but I'm still on the first set 8 months in and they're fine.

I really like WeatherFlow and their communication with their customers is great. I think you'd be pleased too if you go in that direction. Good luck!

My station..

is there the possibility to see graphs and historical data?
www.turismometeo.it
Webcam and Weather Stations live network from Italy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 06:52:33 AM »
You can see graphs and data from uploading to any supported online service like Weather Underground. But nobody should rely on just WU. One of the great joys of a versatile weather station is the ability to expand its capabilities beyond what the manufacturer lays out in the product manual. You'd have to check compatibility with WF or ask other WF users. I enjoy the ease of expanding my Ambient station by simply adding an Ecowitt GW1000 which then allows me to run Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, Weather-Display, and WeeWX. Not only do these provide their own data and graphs but they allow you to upload to many more online services and to also let you have your own personal weather website by use of wonderfully supported templates.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 07:39:36 AM »
. . .
My station..

is there the possibility to see graphs and historical data?

When you click on f.i. the wind block in the above link, you will get the graphs for that.
Using the dropdown you can select any graph.
The app is more versatile

Wim

Offline MiamiWX

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 07:48:51 PM »

I received my Tempest yesterday afternoon. It was definitely worth the long wait!

Offline bandityo

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 10:35:09 PM »
thanks, how long ago did you order yours and did you get. a shipping email? thanks

David

Offline MiamiWX

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 01:53:19 AM »
thanks, how long ago did you order yours and did you get. a shipping email? thanks

David

I ordered mine the day WeatherFlow first offered them for sale on KickStarter on December 5th, 2019, received my BackerKit confirmation e-mail on May 8th and physically received my Tempest unit via USPS on May 15th.

Offline CochiseKev

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 08:51:01 PM »
My Tempest arrived yesterday. I'm giving my old WeatherFlow stuff to a buddy.

Setup is ridiculously simple and intuitive, and I had it online and fully functional within 5 minutes. One of the improvements in the Tempest is the haptic rain sensor, which had issues with wind vibration in the original station. We'll see how that goes when the monsoon rolls into my back yard come early July.

My public dashboard..

https://tempestwx.com/station/18897/grid

And at Weather Underground...

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KAZHEREF93

WeatherFlow maintains a public forum with very helpful users as well as prompt input from the WeatherFlow peeps themselves. Worth a look if you're considering jumping in...

https://community.weatherflow.com
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:56:21 PM by CochiseKev »

Offline Cpat39

Question about Tempest setup
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2020, 08:37:32 PM »
Received my Tempest yesterday. It is Offline and shows 004 at left side of bottom of Tempest app screen. Any idea what this means.

Offline MiamiWX

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2020, 08:46:06 PM »
Go back to the Tempest unit and hold the LED button down for five seconds (it’s under the on/off switch), then “replace” your unit in the app. You are likely offline due to a bug which has been identified and will be fixed in the next firmware release.

Offline Cpat39

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 10:59:05 AM »
Thank you. You suggest resolved the offline issue.

Offline MiamiWX

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 11:51:44 AM »
Excellent! I hope it stays online for you until the new firmware is pushed out.

Enjoy your Tempest! 👍🏻

Offline CochiseKev

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 08:07:19 PM »
FWIW, I've had my Tempest up for about a month now, zero issues, other than a few spurious rain detections during high winds. This will be resolved by securing my mounting pole better. It's so minor that I haven't bothered yet. Otherwise - 100% uptime, 100% communication to Weather Underground, etc. All good.

Offline wd68

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2020, 03:47:16 PM »
Keep us up to date please. I am interested in this type of station.

Offline Cpat39

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2020, 04:32:18 PM »
After a couple of days and great help from Weatherflow the Tempest is working well. Can see its WUnderground connection at https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/ca/walnut-creek/KCAWALNU194. Weatherflow TS has been very helpful and patient guiding this ole guy through some issues. That are now resolved.

Offline wd68

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2020, 02:29:38 PM »
Didn't see it on their site, but will the unit be able to upgrade with separate units like Air quality? Other than that looks like a perfect unit.

Offline shirsch

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2020, 03:49:27 PM »
How often does the WeatherFlow Tempest update?

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 04:00:30 PM »
How often does the WeatherFlow Tempest update?

Every three seconds for wind, and every minute for other values.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Cpat39

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2020, 04:20:08 PM »
I am not aware of add-on plans. I have a Dyson unit that reports Air Quality and an app on iPhone for pollen. So I am happy just having local info. We are in a micro-climate

Offline AZdave

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2020, 10:21:26 AM »
FWIW, I've had my Tempest up for about a month now, zero issues, other than a few spurious rain detections during high winds. This will be resolved by securing my mounting pole better. It's so minor that I haven't bothered yet. Otherwise - 100% uptime, 100% communication to Weather Underground, etc. All good.

Just up the road a bit from you. BST & St. Andrew area. Thanks for your impressions on the Tempest, this unit is at the top of my list.

David
Information is not knowledge - Albert Einstein

Offline dbv

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2020, 12:27:51 PM »
Any feedback on how the WS-5000 compares to the Tempest?  Thanks!

Offline horseflesh

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2020, 11:03:25 PM »
It's been a while since this Tempest thread was started... are y'all still happy with your Tempests? It looks like a good contender for the Ambient Weather 5000 if a person doesn't care about extra sensors.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2020, 06:44:43 AM »
The Tempest is also good if you don't care about your actual real data.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole