Author Topic: WeatherLink IP randomly locking up  (Read 2070 times)

Offline jkjelsbak

Re: WeatherLink IP randomly locking up
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2021, 03:47:59 PM »
Hi,

I've been fighting the problem with lockup for nearly a year now (since the update to firmware 115). To watch the console I was pinging the box every hour. When the pinging had too many missing responses I was alerted and unplugged/plugged the Ethernet port. Every one to two months the interface was stuck. So far so good - last week the console went stuck every time I pinged the box. I stopped pinging and is making a request to weatherlink.com using the V2 API https://weatherlink.github.io/v2-api/api-reference
In the response to GET /current/{station-id} the value for "ts" is the timestamp for data upload, "generated_at" gives the timestamp for the request. When the difference is bigger than 5 minutes (my setup) I raise an alert. I hope this will allow the console to keep going for many years.

Very best regards

Jens

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2021, 07:10:47 PM »
the WLIP can only handle one connection at a time.  so whilst the device is  talking to weatherlink or another piece of software, when you ping the device you will break the first connection.

the WLIP is a setup and leave alone device.  Also the LAN port connection is 10Mb/s half duplex. you may need to set this on your switch port if you are loosing connection.

but mainly never trying pinging the WLIP constantly. you'll break the initial connection.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline jkjelsbak

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2021, 03:19:00 PM »
What you mentioned here is fully in line with my findings. I was very careful about the time where I did the pinging, always well away from the port activities on the WLIP. This way of monitoring went very well for nearly a year, but suddenly the WLIP didn't like that either. Long story, my new way of monitoring doesn't interrupt the life of the WLIP and I will be alerted when attention is needed. I hope I can keep the system running many years from now.

Offline cjohlandt

• Cedar Ridge Weather
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2021, 03:53:05 PM »
Jens,

This looks like a very elegant way to monitor the WeatherLink IP without causing problems.  Do you have some code you're willing to share?

-Chris
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus Wireless, WeatherLink Live
WXM WiFi (identical to Ecowitt WS69), Ecowitt GW2000
PurpleAir PA-II

Offline jkjelsbak

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2021, 03:55:19 AM »
My WL project is not staged in a public Git, but here something for inspiration:

Weatherlink LIVE code examples: https://weatherlink.github.io/v2-api/authentication#live-code-examples This will cover the authentication challenges
Attached small PHP snippet: This includes my way of logging and pushing the alert to my iOS devices

The cron job to execute the PHP script run every 30 minutes

Happy hunting...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 03:56:51 AM by jkjelsbak »

Offline cjohlandt

• Cedar Ridge Weather
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2021, 02:19:29 PM »
Thank you Jens!  Something to dig into over the weekend.

-Chris
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus Wireless, WeatherLink Live
WXM WiFi (identical to Ecowitt WS69), Ecowitt GW2000
PurpleAir PA-II

anything