Weather Station Hardware > What Weather Station Should I Buy?

Replacement for Vantage Pro2?

(1/2) > >>

ncpilot:
Hello old long-timers. I've been away for so many years as life has thrown the major curve balls healthwise, and other stuff has been so much more important.

Now, as things settle a bit, I'm entertaining a replacement to my Vantage Pro2 I installed in 2005. It has slowly over the recent years been failing, starting with the anemometer, at least a couple of cap replacements, and water intrusion into electronics that has mucked up some of the sensors response.

It has had a good life being exposed to the salt air (I'm about 2 miles as crow flies to the coast).

Looking for simplicity this time around. Don't want to have computer connected in order to upload and see weather. I'm not as critically interested any more in weather, but would like the "basics" with remote access to conditions (web based?).

Don't have a budget, but not looking to spend Vantage Pro2 bucks again. I haven't kept up with the wx station marketplace.

I'm not sure a refurbishment by Davis is the way to go since I basically need a replacement, too much failure.

Thanks guys!

(P.S. I do sometimes peruse the forum, and have to laugh at all the new comers that ask about weather underground, I dumped them so long ago due to the obvious suckiness, LOL, RIP, they used to be good)

CamarilloWX:
Unless you are convinced you want to move away from Davis I would consider refurbishment.  Davis charges $200 and they rebuild the entire station.  You also need to pay for shipping the station to Davis. There are other options to upload data that don't require a computer to be running 24/7.

johnd:
I would say buy a new VP2 ISS (just the ISS). There have been multiple improvements over the years and it's the outside sensors that inevitably wear the most. Indoor things like console and logger generally last pretty well. Don't Davis have a 10% holiday discount on Monday in the US, though may still be cheaper to buy elsewhere.

davidmc36:

--- Quote from: ncpilot link=topic=43951.msg447363#msg447363

Don't want to have computer connected in order to upload and see weather.

[/quote ---
There are multiple options of small IT devices to upload vs using a PC.

A hundred or so should get you uploading for many, many years.
--- End quote ---

PaulMy:

--- Quote ---Looking for simplicity this time around. Don't want to have computer connected in order to upload and see weather.
--- End quote ---

Use a Weatherlink Live with your existing/refurnished/new VP2 ISS and view your data on weatherlink.com using a phone or tablet or computer from anywhere.

Davis:  WeatherLink Live — Davis Instruments

Scaled: Davis 6100 – WeatherLink Live (limited availability due to micro chip shortages) – Scaled Instruments

Enjoy,
Paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version