Miscellaneous Debris > Chit-Chat

Does SailFlow Pay Station Providers?

(1/2) > >>

ryanerb:
I know on Sailflow.com there are certain stations that users must pay for access.

My question is, do the actual station owners ever get paid?

I know it seems lots of stations these days are made publicly available free, but I was wondering if anyone is actually paid for their station data....

vreihen:
The owners of sailflow.com (WeatherFlow) made a commitment back when their Tempest stations first came out to pay station owners a $15/year "data dividend" for operating their station.  I have heard nothing since, and most certainly did not receive any checks.....

ryanerb:

--- Quote from: vreihen on May 12, 2022, 07:27:15 PM ---The owners of sailflow.com (WeatherFlow) made a commitment back when their Tempest stations first came out to pay station owners a $15/year "data dividend" for operating their station.  I have heard nothing since, and most certainly did not receive any checks.....

--- End quote ---

Wow, 15 a year is NOTHING.
And to think they are charging 4 to 15 dollars a month to their thousands of users?
They are raking in all the dough and the station providers get pennies...
Interesting...

vreihen:
Also, the stations that they want money to access are probably WeatherFlow's bread and butter professional coastal observation stations, that are only available with a commercial license from them.....

vreihen:
Actually, that $15/year price is groundbreaking, since it was the first time that a dollar figure was put on the value of PWS weather observations.

If WU paid their reported 250,000+ users that same $15, it would cost IBM only $3.75 million per year.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version