Miscellaneous Debris > Chit-Chat

What if we could no longer access the likes of Ecowitt.....

<< < (2/4) > >>

box:

--- Quote from: vreihen on April 23, 2022, 07:42:45 AM ---Considering that home automation companies iHome and Insteon have both shut down their cloud servers and left customers holding houses full of electronic bricks this month alone, I'd say that your fear is justified.

Personally, I don't buy anything whatsoever with cloud dependencies unless there are absolutely no other options.....

--- End quote ---
luckily the cloud dependencies with ecowitt are quite well defined and relatively easily avoided or mitigated

Mind you, replacement sensors would be tricky

Once they stopped working you would have to start an alternative

davidmc36:

--- Quote from: Mattk on April 23, 2022, 05:29:48 AM ---...., we really need to get over China.

--- End quote ---

And the realistic chances of that happening ant time soon  to any measurable degree is pretty much nil.

Made in USA or Made in Canada?  Replace that with "Assembled in...." with majority if components Made in China would likely be more accurate.

Bashy:
At the moment i am more concerned with my smart home and Ecowitt, although, Ecowitt can be mitigated by running a 2nd WD as my 1st is running the Davis.

Smarthome not so easy, i had to go the route i did as it was the low cost option, but also I added different products along the way, I have about 10 wifi bulbs of different makes but all use Smart Life (China) I've added 2 wifi switches, Ewelink (China), then theres about 10 wifi smart plugs, Smart Life, Meross (both China). Thankfully Smartthings is Samsung thus South Korea, Ring and the 7 Echo devices are Amazon product's that use their own servers in the US and poss EU and there is the Hive heating and smarthome setup, again, thankfully they are a UK company but not sure where their servers are based :/ I do know that most electronics have Chinese components in them so i highly doubt that that side of things will ever be sanctioned but they could be blocked by China, we would then have to look elsewhere thus driving up the costs. It would be a more expensive world for sure!

broadstairs:
I must admit that I don't have any Smart Home stuff, mainly because my wife hates tech and always says it leaves too much to go wrong! She says that's what switches are for and it just makes folks lazy (her opinion!) she even turns the central heating on/off manually despite having a timer on it  :roll: ;) So that would not bother me. A concern on Ecowitt yes because WD and CumulusMX rely on that for catch up as most of the Ecowitt stuff has no logging capability or battery backup.

Stuart

Bashy:

--- Quote from: broadstairs on April 24, 2022, 04:54:40 AM ---I must admit that I don't have any Smart Home stuff, mainly because my wife hates tech and always says it leaves too much to go wrong! She says that's what switches are for and it just makes folks lazy (her opinion!) she even turns the central heating on/off manually despite having a timer on it  :roll: ;) So that would not bother me. A concern on Ecowitt yes because WD and CumulusMX rely on that for catch up as most of the Ecowitt stuff has no logging capability or battery backup.

Stuart

--- End quote ---

What about remote controls for the TV etc, I bet ya Mrs doesn't get up tp turn the TV over any more ;)
There is more to it than just being lazy, although, that's a big part of it for me as I have a bad back, but thers the cost factor, most of my lights are 9w ivae a some 14w but only where needed, also the control factor when you're away, or if you use Alexa or Google or ios home kit, you can have those wake you up to lights on in the rooms needed or use sensors like I do to turn them on and the go off again after 10mins of no movement, they're great for mimicking people at home if you're away, and some can dance to music lol or set the mood colour or set the colours to what you're watching on TV and so on, so there is more to it than just laziness, it's progressive, like the TV remote, even my floodlights are  now, biggest is 50w, the other 3 are 20s, its a cost saving too in the long run

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version