Author Topic: Help to decide what Weather Station to buy - New to this hobby!  (Read 2262 times)

Offline TEMPO

Help to decide what Weather Station to buy - New to this hobby!
« on: February 05, 2022, 05:23:01 AM »
Hi everyone!
I am new to this hobby. I got interested some weeks ago and started reading about the various stations available on the market. Not easy to decide. Unfortunately, there are no dealers in my country. I can only purchase such station online. I am from Malta, so I need one with a European Radio Frequency, preferably an Ultrasonic one. Not 'All In One' station, so that I can have only the sensors I am interested in. I would like the Air Quality and Lightning sensors in particular.

I also need to decide on its position. I don't know if it is a good idea to install the station on a pole of about 2 meters high that I have on the flat roof of  a 2 storey house. Houses in Malta are built with flat roofs and much more convenient to install poles on the roof. So the station will be about 10 meters or more above the street level and about 2 meters above the building.

I was thinking of the Froggit HP1000SE PRO Ultrasonic because of the radio frequency for Malta. But not sure about reception through brick walls and concrete ceilings since the console will be inside the building, 2 floors down. Any idea if such reception can be possible with the station up on a roof?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

TEMPO

« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 05:43:18 AM by TEMPO »

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
Re: Help to decide what Weather Station to buy - New to this hobby!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 05:44:54 AM »
Most of the Froggit stuff is actually Fine Offset/Ecowitt and is very good. I have an Ecowitt GW1003 (now GW1103) which is the 6-in-one sensor array (ultrasonic wind), a separate rain gauge and I purchased a lightning and air quality sensors as well, there are Froggit equivalents as well. The station does not have a console but I use an old Android tablet with Personal Weather Tablet as my console. All works very well. We live in an older house with heavy walls and I have no issues with signal strength, if you have problems try to have the receiver (console) near a window on the side of the house nearest to the array. This replaced an old Davis VP1 which was 15 years old, and I'm happy with my purchase.

Check out https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40730.0 if you've not already done so.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline TEMPO

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 06:11:55 AM »
Thanks for your quick reply, Stuart.

Is the GW1103 same as the HP1000SE? And one can do without a console?

I think that the problem with getting Ecowitt is that one needs to pay taxes and duty since it is not in Europe. But Froggit is in Europe as far as I know.

This is all new to me and I am just learning....

TEMPO

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 06:26:03 AM »
As for installation I would shy away from the rooftop mount for the temperature sensor. A  roof will radiate heat up meaning that data would be compromised. A site over grass about 2 meters high would be ideal. The rooftop mount for everything else would be fine as long as there is easy access.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 06:32:56 AM »
Thanks for your quick reply, Stuart.

Is the GW1103 same as the HP1000SE? And one can do without a console?

I think that the problem with getting Ecowitt is that one needs to pay taxes and duty since it is not in Europe. But Froggit is in Europe as far as I know.

This is all new to me and I am just learning....

TEMPO

I checked the Froggit site and apparently they do not do the equivalent station to mine the closest is the DP1500 but I dont like that as the rain gauge is mounted with the wind array. The closest is the one you've suggested with a console.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline TEMPO

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 06:41:24 AM »
As for installation I would shy away from the rooftop mount for the temperature sensor. A  roof will radiate heat up meaning that data would be compromised. A site over grass about 2 meters high would be ideal. The rooftop mount for everything else would be fine as long as there is easy access.

Thanks, ocala. So, temperature sensor can be mounted separately from the main station? I can understand your point regarding heat reflection. The pole I have is quite near a water tank on the rooftop. The pole had a TV antenna on it. But no longer now.

Offline TEMPO

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 07:21:55 AM »
Where is the best location to mount the lightning and air quality sensors? Is it ok with the station?

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 08:43:13 AM »

Thanks, ocala. So, temperature sensor can be mounted separately from the main station? I can understand your point regarding heat reflection. The pole I have is quite near a water tank on the rooftop. The pole had a TV antenna on it. But no longer now.
Whether or not the temperature sensor can be sited away from the other sensors depends on the station itself. Some do some some don't but I would lean toward getting a station that has this ability. Urban siting is always a challenge because of local conditions. Tree's, buildings etc make it difficult to site properly. Putting them in optimal locations makes the data better. Good luck with what ever you choose.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline TEMPO

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2022, 10:25:55 AM »

Whether or not the temperature sensor can be sited away from the other sensors depends on the station itself. Some do some some don't but I would lean toward getting a station that has this ability. Urban siting is always a challenge because of local conditions. Tree's, buildings etc make it difficult to site properly. Putting them in optimal locations makes the data better. Good luck with what ever you choose.
I can see your point here to put sensors in optimal locations. But what can one do with package sensors like the one I seem to like: HP1000SE PRO ULTRASONIC. What weather stations have the ability to have its sensors mounted separately? Do you know of any with European frequency?

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 10:58:58 AM »
All of the Ecowitt stations are available in UK and EU frequencies and Froggit do two versions of the HP1000SE with separate rain etc.

Stuart

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2022, 11:41:01 AM »
All of the Ecowitt stations are available in UK and EU frequencies and Froggit do two versions of the HP1000SE with separate rain etc.

Stuart
Stuart is absolutely right, look at the GW1101/1102/1103 stations they all have separate sensors with a gateway unit (Gw1100) or you can use a console as the gateway

Offline SpiDybot

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2022, 03:35:47 AM »
On the availability matter, orders from outside the EU (incl. the UK since Brexit) will incur import duty and VAT (plus whatever fees the are added at your border for handling the customs matter).

I've had Froggit HP1000 for several years, once replaced due to internal fault, so now on a HP1000SE v2 since 2016.44

Despite having a very strong wi-fi connection, I regularly suffer from the dreaded loss of connection to internet/Wunderground (have given up on it by now). Customer support from Froggit (located in Germany) is close to zero unless you want to buy something.

I'd be most grateful for a link to a list of downloadable firmware - Froggit seemingly have nothing for the HP1000se anymore and compatibility with other brands is not obvious.

My solar supported outdoor device, pointing south on a 6 meter pole, supplies too little power to the AA rechargeable batteries so regularly have to manually charge them - and by Froggit advice they must be NiZn to cope (despite stating the more common alkaline type in the documentation). Takes a special charger to manage these and guess what? They too need to come out for a recharge very npw and then. Might be better if you're closer to the sun than we are in Scandinavia.

When eventually replacing the station I'll be looking for something more rugged and stable. Probably avoid FOSHK (all private labels).

« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 03:50:06 AM by SpiDybot »

Offline TEMPO

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2022, 05:02:51 AM »
On the availability matter, orders from outside the EU (incl. the UK since Brexit) will incur import duty and VAT (plus whatever fees the are added at your border for handling the customs matter).

I've had Froggit HP1000 for several years, once replaced due to internal fault, so now on a HP1000SE v2 since 2016.44

Despite having a very strong wi-fi connection, I regularly suffer from the dreaded loss of connection to internet/Wunderground (have given up on it by now). Customer support from Froggit (located in Germany) is close to zero unless you want to buy something.

I'd be most grateful for a link to a list of downloadable firmware - Froggit seemingly have nothing for the HP1000se anymore and compatibility with other brands is not obvious.

My solar supported outdoor device, pointing south on a 6 meter pole, supplies too little power to the AA rechargeable batteries so regularly have to manually charge them - and by Froggit advice they must be NiZn to cope (despite stating the more common alkaline type in the documentation). Takes a special charger to manage these and guess what? They too need to come out for a recharge very npw and then. Might be better if you're closer to the sun than we are in Scandinavia.

When eventually replacing the station I'll be looking for something more rugged and stable. Probably avoid FOSHK (all private labels).
Thanks for your help. I am rather confused since I am new to this. But it is good to hear others' opinion from their experience with their stations. I was getting interested in Froggit because it is in Europe. Orders from outside the EU will incur import duty and VAT. But if it will be a better choice, I don't mind paying that.

What would you recommend then as an ultrasonic one? If it is Ecowitt, it can be ordered from UK, I believe and can have Europe frequency. But I think it takes long for delivery.

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2022, 05:21:51 AM »
@SpiDybot

If you have your your ws65 sensor on a high pole ( and it does not receive enough light to recharge his supercap ) you may find the battery extension handy ( don't know if available trough froggit )
The ws65 sensor does not recharge the AA batteries inserted ( it recharges an internal supercap ). The aa batteries are a backup in case ( as in your case ) there is not enough sun.
For the ws65 sensor you can use any aa battery you want, rechargeable or not, but every battery has his own pro and cons:
- alcaline battery, known to leak, do not perform well in cold climate, cheap, not rechargeable
- lithium, do not leak, perform well in cold, high capacity, expensive, not rechargeable
- NiMh, do not leak, do not perfororm well in cold climate, low self-discharge, rechargeable, low nominal voltage ( they perform reasonably well in my ws65, but in Italy we have higher temperatures and sunlight so YMMV )
- NiZn, don't know much about them but are used when high current for short time is needed, high self discharge, high nominal voltage ( don't think these are the right choice for ws65 )
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 05:24:51 AM by davidefa »

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2022, 05:27:56 AM »
Thanks for your help. I am rather confused since I am new to this. But it is good to hear others' opinion from their experience with their stations. I was getting interested in Froggit because it is in Europe. Orders from outside the EU will incur import duty and VAT. But if it will be a better choice, I don't mind paying that.

What would you recommend then as an ultrasonic one? If it is Ecowitt, it can be ordered from UK, I believe and can have Europe frequency. But I think it takes long for delivery.

I have replied to you PM....

Stuart

Offline SpiDybot

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2022, 12:58:06 PM »
@davidefa

Thanks a lot. Interesting info about the charge, certainly explains why batteries go flat. The fact that Froggit not even mention this and points to NiZn as a solution just proves to me that they are not the supplier I want to deal with.

I pondered about some sort of battery extension but could actually fit some AA dummies with connection to a proper mains driven power supply (the pole is by the house so not too difficult to run wires inside).

In case one wanted to replace the system it would indeed take some work to identify what to get. No more Froggit, for sure.

Offline TEMPO

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2022, 02:52:39 PM »
I think I will go for an Ecowitt Station from Weather Spares. Even though I have to pay import duty because it is not in EU.But I think there is no alternative. I will check on this.

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2022, 03:16:17 PM »
I think I will go for an Ecowitt Station from Weather Spares. Even though I have to pay import duty because it is not in EU.But I think there is no alternative. I will check on this.
ecowitt has an Amazon UK shop, may be worth checking especially as they do deals from time to time

Offline SpiDybot

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2022, 11:58:57 PM »
Also available on Amazon.de

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Ecowitt-Weather-Station-Professional-Forecast/dp/B0991GVBYK/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2FK3S7M8XI8DE&currency=EUR&keywords=Ecowitt+Station&qid=1644294367&sprefix=ecowitt+station%2Caps%2C106&sr=8-6

Because of the Amazons nature you always need to check actual seller as it may very well be a 3rd party somewhere in the would and you'd end up with the import issue anyway.

In this case you can check at the right side of the page below the Buy button where it states "Sold by ecowitt eu and Fulfilled by Amazon."
If clicking on the name ecowitt you'll see the details

Business Name:ShenZhenShi OuSaiTeDianZi YouXianGongSi
Business Type:Privately-owned business
Trade Register Number:91440300674834386E
VAT Number:DE345810028

Given that the VAT number is DE (Deutschland = Germany), the Chinese company have registered there obviously to trade in the EU.

Amazon 'hide' these details pretty well, if you use Ebay you get an immediate option to filter on goods location:

• Standard
    Deutschland
    Europäische Union
    Kontinentaleuropa
    Weltweit

Offline TEMPO

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2022, 04:55:38 AM »
Also available on Amazon.de

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Ecowitt-Weather-Station-Professional-Forecast/dp/B0991GVBYK/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2FK3S7M8XI8DE&currency=EUR&keywords=Ecowitt+Station&qid=1644294367&sprefix=ecowitt+station%2Caps%2C106&sr=8-6

Because of the Amazons nature you always need to check actual seller as it may very well be a 3rd party somewhere in the would and you'd end up with the import issue anyway.

In this case you can check at the right side of the page below the Buy button where it states "Sold by ecowitt eu and Fulfilled by Amazon."
If clicking on the name ecowitt you'll see the details

Business Name:ShenZhenShi OuSaiTeDianZi YouXianGongSi
Business Type:Privately-owned business
Trade Register Number:91440300674834386E
VAT Number:DE345810028

Given that the VAT number is DE (Deutschland = Germany), the Chinese company have registered there obviously to trade in the EU.

Amazon 'hide' these details pretty well, if you use Ebay you get an immediate option to filter on goods location:

• Standard
    Deutschland
    Europäische Union
    Kontinentaleuropa
    Weltweit
Thanks for your information.
I checked both Amazon.de and Amazon UK and they give the same details of the seller in China.

1. So, if I order from Amazon UK or Amazon.de, the item will be delivered from China? 
2. And if ordered from Amazon.de (even though it is in EU) I am subject to import fees?

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2022, 05:04:54 AM »
As I believe has been pointed out if you order from Amazon UK you will indeed be liable for duty/taxes. If you order from Amazon DE then because Ecowitt EU has a German Vat registration I believe you are in the clear ordering from them. At least that is what I would expect.

Stuart

Offline TEMPO

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2022, 05:17:08 AM »
As I believe has been pointed out if you order from Amazon UK you will indeed be liable for duty/taxes. If you order from Amazon DE then because Ecowitt EU has a German Vat registration I believe you are in the clear ordering from them. At least that is what I would expect.

Stuart
OK I can understand that. In fact from UK they charge the deposit import fees as well. But, are they shipped from China?

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2022, 05:26:55 AM »
OK I can understand that. In fact from UK they charge the deposit import fees as well. But, are they shipped from China?

My understanding is that as far as Amazon is concerned if it says fulfilled by Amazon then no it is shipped from an Amazon warehouse. Weather Spares has UK stock but buying from them is the same for you as buying from Chine direct as both charge duty/taxes, same applies to Amazon UK I believe.

Stuart

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2022, 05:30:21 AM »

Stuart
my item was shipped within the uk

If you order from Ecowitt it  comes from china, not sure what the duty might be but you will pay vat

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2022, 05:39:15 AM »
If you order from Ecowitt it  comes from china, not sure what the duty might be but you will pay vat

No that's not true, Ecowitt EU has a German VAT registration so anything they sell into the EU is tax/duty paid. Yes the stuff comes from China originally but not directly to the customer if it says fulfilled by Amazon DE, it comes from an Amazon warehouse. It is the same for purchasing in the UK if it is purchased from a UK VAT registered supplier you are buying duty/tax paid.

Stuart