Author Topic: Which weather service to use?  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Brutha

Which weather service to use?
« on: January 08, 2022, 07:30:31 AM »
Hi All,

I'm not sure this topic really belongs here, but I couldn't really see another relevant forum, and it's in relation to the purchase of my new weather station!

Until now I've been using wunderground, since my old weather station could only easily with it, and mostly I'm happy with the layout etc. But one thing about it is a real pain; you can only choose imperial or metric units - which is no good in the UK since we use mostly metric units, but MPH for wind speed.

With the new one (Ecowitt with GW1100 and CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi), I now have a much wider choice. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best service to use, that doesn't have the above restriction?

Cheers

Brutha

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
Re: Which weather service to use?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 07:37:50 AM »
Olicat posted a few months ago ( last summer maybe ) a small guide in pdf, if I remember correctly in the ambient/ecowitt subforum

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 08:07:12 AM »
Hi All,

I'm not sure this topic really belongs here, but I couldn't really see another relevant forum, and it's in relation to the purchase of my new weather station!

Until now I've been using wunderground, since my old weather station could only easily with it, and mostly I'm happy with the layout etc. But one thing about it is a real pain; you can only choose imperial or metric units - which is no good in the UK since we use mostly metric units, but MPH for wind speed.

With the new one (Ecowitt with GW1100 and CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi), I now have a much wider choice. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best service to use, that doesn't have the above restriction?

Cheers

Brutha
I'm a fan of Windy. Dead easy to set up with CumulusMx and good graphics, you can set your  units and favourites for your forecasts

Offline Brutha

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 08:59:26 AM »
Olicat posted a few months ago ( last summer maybe ) a small guide in pdf, if I remember correctly in the ambient/ecowitt subforum

Thanks, will do a bit of research!

Offline Brutha

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 09:02:23 AM »
I'm a fan of Windy. Dead easy to set up with CumulusMx and good graphics, you can set your  units and favourites for your forecasts

Aha, that looks really promising! But perhaps I'm missing something, how do you find a local weather station and navigate to it? If I click on what appears to be a weather station on the map, it shows me a forecast instead of current data or history etc.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 09:03:57 AM by Brutha »

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 10:36:15 AM »
i think you need to be registered to get station data

on a desktop browser click on a layer at bottom right, eg the windsock for reported wind. Stations reporting wind then pop up. Roll your mouse pointer over the top and you get a tooltip with basic data, left click on it and you get detail, including history in the meteogram

meteogram decode here https://community.windy.com/topic/14827/how-to-read-meteogram

on the app just tap on the station

Offline Brutha

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 10:40:10 AM »

Thanks! That's a pity though, it otherwise looks pretty good! I would be looking for something that neighbours etc can see without having to register and sign in.

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 10:49:35 AM »

Thanks! That's a pity though, it otherwise looks pretty good! I would be looking for something that neighbours etc can see without having to register and sign in.

Ah, try AWEKAS then   https://www.awekas.at/en/map.php

I don't think you need an account to view and you can change the settings to units you want

If your neighbours are close enough they can purchase a GW1100 and just view your sensors directly.... 8-)

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 10:54:35 AM »

I don't think you need an account to view and you can change the settings to units you want

If your neighbours are close enough they can purchase a GW1100 and just view your sensors directly.... 8-)

.....and CumulusMX will feed AWEKAS too

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 10:58:58 AM »
Another option is PWS Weather although personally I am not so keen on the graphics

Offline Brutha

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 11:16:37 AM »

Thanks! Although AWEKAS seems to only allow either "Metric" or "American" as far as I can see though (at least when not logged in).

I've been looking through the other sites you have linked in your sig, and irritatingly nothing seems to do *exactly* what I want!

PWS and Weathercloud both have updates that are a bit slow and the Metoffice WOW only shows wind speed in knots or km / hour.

Wunderground would be actually be perfect if you could only select individual units per measurement!

Maybe I need to create my own site. All I really want is a simple internet accessible dashboard showing current conditions and maybe graphs for the day in everyday UK units, that updates in =<1 min intervals (we get quite a lot of wind here, so it's nice to see pretty much real time what the gusts and wind strength is!).

Sadly, we'd need some really beefy receiver hardware for neighbours to read my sensors, it's a somewhat rural area!

Thanks,

Brutha

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 12:21:29 PM »

Thanks! Although AWEKAS seems to only allow either "Metric" or "American" as far as I can see though (at least when not logged in).

I've been looking through the other sites you have linked in your sig, and irritatingly nothing seems to do *exactly* what I want!

PWS and Weathercloud both have updates that are a bit slow and the Metoffice WOW only shows wind speed in knots or km / hour.

Wunderground would be actually be perfect if you could only select individual units per measurement!

Maybe I need to create my own site. All I really want is a simple internet accessible dashboard showing current conditions and maybe graphs for the day in everyday UK units, that updates in =<1 min intervals (we get quite a lot of wind here, so it's nice to see pretty much real time what the gusts and wind strength is!).

Sadly, we'd need some really beefy receiver hardware for neighbours to read my sensors, it's a somewhat rural area!

Thanks,

Brutha

Well, you can create/host your own website - there is plenty of guidance on these boards although that isn't something I have tried yet

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 02:14:57 PM »
Setting up a site like I did with the W34 template was actually pretty easy. I knew nothing going in and managed to pull it off.

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 04:37:08 PM »
I have to chime in 'in defence' of meteotemplate ( see an example in my signature ; - )

The post I previously referred to is this one: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=42983.msg438100#msg438100

Offline Brutha

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2022, 05:13:27 AM »
Many thanks all!

I think I'll go for the meteotemplate approach - seems to be the most flexible and interesting one!

Cheers

Brutha

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2022, 06:39:01 PM »
I have to chime in 'in defence' of meteotemplate ( see an example in my signature ; - )

The post I previously referred to is this one: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=42983.msg438100#msg438100

I've been using Meteotemplate for years. I feed it with FOSHKplugin on a Raspberry Pi 3B.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
Ecowitt Wittboy| FOSHKplugin on Pi 4

anything