Author Topic: My WS-2000 finally died - after 23 years  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Swede

• Farmington, New Mexico Weather
    • Weather Underground Page
My WS-2000 finally died - after 23 years
« on: December 25, 2023, 06:12:30 PM »
I put my Rainwise WS-2000 into service in June of 2000.  This week it finally died.  It's been a reliable unit, used with a data logger and Weather View 32 v. 7 software for the computer.  Looking to buy a MKIII-LR station, but everything has changed.  No computer logger but an IP-100 device that uploads to Rainwise.  I really want to use the WV32 software because the reports are quite nice and easy to access.  Also, I am a member of CWOP, and I'm not sure the Rainwise.net even offers an upload to the MADIS system.

Dilema....do I stick with Rainwise or go for the top of the line Davis unit and their Weatherlink system???  Even then, I'm not sure of the report quality - I download monthly reports.

Any advice??
Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan-Aspirated
WeatherLink 6.0.5 with WeatherLink IP
Weather Underground: KNMFARMI104
CWOP: DW4879

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Re: My WS-2000 finally died - after 23 years
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2023, 06:35:46 PM »
I have an MK-III with both wireless receivers. I like it, but am having issues with it.
I know the temp is off and the rain gauge is not working either. There is a second data logger that I am using, but cant remember what it is. Serial port. Transfers info  every few seconds instead of 15.

With that said-I am looking at getting a Davis as a replacement. My wife is getting a grant for something at work, and is donating it to my science department.

If you do go with a different MK-III, we can work out a deal on the loggers, but it would not be until at least April.  if not, Davis is always a solid choice.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Swede

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2023, 06:50:43 PM »
I have been considering the Davis Pro 2 Plus as the replacement.  Lots of features and 1000 foot range.  I'm just frustrated that everything is going away from the data logger for the home PC and everything goes to some remote site.  I don't have a problem with the remote site, but I like having my weather data history at my fingertips. 

I have never owned a Davis station, so I don't know their reliability.  My RainWise WS-2000 was a solid piece of equipment.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2023, 06:54:58 PM »
I have been considering the Davis Pro 2 Plus as the replacement.  Lots of features and 1000 foot range. 
Not with the new console... Old ones, sure.

Offline Swede

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2023, 07:03:01 PM »
What's the range from the sensor array to the new display console?

I have been considering the Davis Pro 2 Plus as the replacement.  Lots of features and 1000 foot range. 
Not with the new console... Old ones, sure.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2023, 07:07:13 PM »
I have no idea. Mucho complaining here. The antenna is inside the console.  :roll:

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2023, 07:11:08 AM »
The range with the 6313 console is still 1000+ feet in the open air. Davis are adamant that this specification is still met by the 6313. The problem is that the 6312 console significantly outperformed the specification, whereas the 6313 simply meets the specification. (At a guess, if you set up both ISS and 6313 console in the open air at a height of eg 6 feet then the console would receive OK and with an RSSI better than -90.)

Of course range in practice depends on what materials are in the direct signal path between ISS and console antennas, how high each antenna is above the ground etc etc.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 07:13:19 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Swede

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2023, 08:50:01 AM »
Johnd, thanks for the information.  It is appreciated.

I still am leaning towards a new Rainwise MKIII-LR, but my needs are unique.  Since I have been using Weatherview 32 software, I like their reports, and I use them.  Convenience of having ready access to them on the host computer is important.  My problem is I am using version 7 of the software, and they seem to have shut down operations.  My current need would be as follows:

Rainwise MKIII-LR
Rainwise CC-3000
Weatherview 32 version 8 (Pro edition)
Rainwise IP-100 (possibly)

The version of Weatherview 32 that works with the MKIII-LR (and what I need)  is version 8 Pro , and that will work with the CC-3000 data logger.  I would get the IP-100 just because I would get more sharing options.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2023, 09:01:02 AM »
Do you know why the sensors died? Maybe if you open up the housing, you can find what is wrong with it. If it's not working, you have nothing to lose by trying.

Offline Swede

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2023, 09:10:11 AM »
I noticed over several months there would be occasionally 5 minute to 30 minute blocks with the station not transmitting.  Last week, started getting more and more periods of no transmission.  Checked battery level via Weatherview 32 and it was still a little over 6 volts.  Figured battery might be dying.  Finally, when unit stopped transmitting totally, pulled it down and opened it up, installed new battery.  Nothing.  As far as trying to diagnose what the actual cause of the dead station, that is out of my level of expertise.  At this point, Rainwise hasn't had parts for the WS-2000 for years, so getting it fixed by them doesn't seem to be an option.  23 years was a good run for that piece of equipment.

Do you know why the sensors died? Maybe if you open up the housing, you can find what is wrong with it. If it's not working, you have nothing to lose by trying.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2023, 02:04:32 PM »
That's a shame. Most times, the old stuff is better equipment. If you are in a rush, I would look at Ecowitt sensors. You can get a gateway, and a few sensors and be back up and broadcasting quickly. Their stuff is really accurate from my experience.

Offline luckyflyer

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2024, 10:24:28 AM »
I put my Rainwise WS-2000 into service in June of 2000.  This week it finally died.  It's been a reliable unit, used with a data logger and Weather View 32 v. 7 software for the computer.  Looking to buy a MKIII-LR station, but everything has changed.  No computer logger but an IP-100 device that uploads to Rainwise.  I really want to use the WV32 software because the reports are quite nice and easy to access.  Also, I am a member of CWOP, and I'm not sure the Rainwise.net even offers an upload to the MADIS system.

Dilema....do I stick with Rainwise or go for the top of the line Davis unit and their Weatherlink system???  Even then, I'm not sure of the report quality - I download monthly reports.

Any advice??

Swede I've sent you a pm.

Offline RainmanWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • RainmanWeather
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2024, 01:47:05 PM »
Hi Swede, can you verify which model logger you were using with the WS-2000 and would you be interested in selling it? Thanks.

Offline Swede

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2024, 05:10:24 PM »
I have the white rectangular serial port loggers which I used a serial to USB adapter with.  They worked well with my 2000 model WS2000.  Don't know if that's what you're looking for??

Hi Swede, can you verify which model logger you were using with the WS-2000 and would you be interested in selling it? Thanks.

Offline RainmanWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • RainmanWeather
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2024, 08:20:25 PM »

Yes that is it. Please check messages, have sent a PM. Thanks!

I have the white rectangular serial port loggers which I used a serial to USB adapter with.  They worked well with my 2000 model WS2000.  Don't know if that's what you're looking for??

Offline markrubin

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2024, 07:56:31 AM »
I just joined because my 20+ year old MKIII system (418 Mhz) is at end of life: I use it with several Rainwise displays and a IP-100 interface registered on Rainwise and WU

I am testing an Ambient Weather WS5000 system with Weather Windows....it will not connect to the Rainwise/WU station even though it sees it....
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 07:59:40 AM by markrubin »

anything