Author Topic: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.  (Read 58033 times)

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
Re: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.
« Reply #925 on: August 09, 2020, 02:51:10 AM »
Brian.

This is happening throughout the world, yet no one is actually learning from all these 2nd round of infections.

It amazes me that all the government's throughout the world and the WHO are totally incompetent to carry out a lockdown that is benefits the world rather than everyone's self indulged happiness to go on holiday or the beach.

Imagine if this virus was more fatal than it is.

We know new infections in countries that had no cases started  because of travel. Yet government's and the WHO turned a blind eye to this and still are.

As to complacency, yeah it's human nature.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #926 on: August 09, 2020, 03:28:40 AM »
too easy wave the finger at governments  apart from those that continue to rebuke any professional advice ,end of the day each day is a learning curve for all in many ways .different countries have different problems, whats the population of your island not politically but north to south? istanbul has an estimated population of 18 million alone in probably in an area size of the whole of your island may be smaller . buried in that population are people that need to work too feed their families , pay the bills , pay the credit cards, pay the mortgages , pay the loans and whether we agree or not many of those will work in the tourist industry, food restaurant industry, leisure industry (sports,fitness etc) .
lockdowns can not be sustained for months on end , we had approximately 12 weeks of lockdowns and curfews many business in leisure , food , retail disappeared the ones that survived adapted to online methods but what we saw then the online market was just saturated in choice of identical items, food services..

i have few family  friends who have a family business  fish restaurant for 60 years it almost did not survive another few months of lockdowns would have just killed it off ..60 years gone in a hasty decision beyond there control..

it is a difficult situation i have a sister in law who is a professional singer (she studied music at uni so she is not  just a karaoke bar singer but a trained singer,musician) she never worked for 4 months , began to ran out of money all outgoing nothing incoming, lived on the very basics of life not what we all became accustomed to have or doing doing day in day out when life is ok.that meant actually using things like electric,water etc only when necessary. the lockdowns can have a very adverse effect on your life if your means of employment is a part of restrictions.

i wouldnt choose or want to be in a government or any municipality position right now because difficult hard life decisions need to be made , you will please some and destroy others ..
as above each country has its own problems in how they manage the current situation and i think on the whole those fortunate to live in a low population country, island with no neighboring country borders then they have a greater chance of controlling the outbreak and sustain a reasonable lifestyle for the population..travel industry is a source of employment..

complacency yep so we are to blame or contribute  as much any other ?

ps the WHO look deeper they do more than what you may think look at past recent pandemics  , end of the day they dont decide whether you should lockdown or not ..
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 03:47:33 AM by weather34 »

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #927 on: August 09, 2020, 04:13:52 AM »
Brian.
This is happening throughout the world,
but its not
there are countries that are free of the virus in the population now, where life is normal (e.g my country) (apart from restrictions on international travel (i.e managed isolation etc )

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #928 on: August 09, 2020, 04:51:56 AM »
Brian.
but its not
there are countries that are free of the virus in the population now, where life is normal (e.g my country) (apart from restrictions on international travel (i.e managed isolation etc )

your very fortunate and long may it last but circumstances of countries are different very different in comparison to yours with a population of less than 5 million that in comparison to turkey with an estimated 82 million introduces a completely different situation in how its managed right across the board from employment  to food distribution. your nearest large neighbor australia highlights how difficult it can be to manage or control a densely populated city,region etc.. don’t misunderstand its good to hear new zealand is handling it with caution and humanity but scenarios are so different. like it or not air travel is an industry and source of employment that many have spent their lives in . my friends returned to new zealand last month and were full of appraisal for the quarantine accommodation new zealand provided unfortunately they were returning for a funeral which was took place some 5 weeks after their son passed away delays a mixture of finding flights from turkey to new zealand because the normal asia route was not a available so they flew via minsk to usa then a 7 day quarantine then onto new zealand with another 14 day quarantine..  we have too look deeper sometimes to get our head around of the actions or some governments, countries..

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #929 on: August 10, 2020, 10:23:47 AM »
Oklahoma Gov. Stitt thinks he got covid from hugging old friends...

“But anyway, some of my buddies from — some older gentlemen from Tulsa came down to see me. They wanted to talk to me about a new ministry that they had in Tulsa between the police and the African American community and building bridges and so they came down to see me. I hadn’t seen them in a long time and broke my own rule, gave them all hugs. I’ve known them for years. And they ended up having it. So that’s how I got it.”

as i said before we become complacent amongst close friends ,family ,familiar faces ..our guard drops momentarily..but that is all it takes..

my wife returned to work on monday , two of her colleagues become unwell in the week un seasonal symptoms both were went and got  tested both positive, well that was that my wife went into meltdown of we went to get tested we both came back negative but she has to return back on monday it really is a stressful situation never far in the back of your mind are you thinking what if , are you ...

situation here in turkey has seen an unforeseen spike in cases since last weekend another lockdown is imminent..

My long time g/f works as a teacher in a daycare and has been working since the pandemic started.  Scares me to death but they are pretty careful about sanitation and temp checking and all that other stuff.  She's the only person I really hang around with now (we don't live together yet) but alas I have two co-morbs (T2DM and hypertension, both under control) so it scares her just as much.  If people would just wear masks.  I do whenever I go into any public facility.  I have for months, well before our city made them mandatory last month.

Workers like her (considered 'essential') should be getting hazard pay, IMO.  I'm lucky.  I was working from home before the pandemic started so I got a head start on how to configure for that.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #930 on: August 10, 2020, 10:54:37 AM »
I will find out tonight what my district is planning. Rumor is DL. School starts Sept 8.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #931 on: August 11, 2020, 01:34:48 AM »
The graph below shows evidence that city required mask wear works in Oklahoma. At least 13 cities in Oklahoma currently require it.   For my city, since required masks went into effect, it has declined from no. 8 to no. 12 city for total positive cases.  It will be interesting to see if being no. 12 can possibly be maintained after public schools and university start next week.  Around 20,000 college students are expected back.    Some locals think cases will increase so much that all classes will soon have to go back online.  Sports fans are wondering if all football games will have to be canceled.

Oklahoma is still coping okay with the virus situation.  It's starting to look like new cases as well as hospitalizations may have peaked last week and are trying to trend down.  The numbers in coming days may help confirm it.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 01:55:52 AM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #932 on: August 11, 2020, 09:38:38 AM »
Brian.
but its not

things do change from one day to another ....you face the same reality has us all sadly, containment and handling human movement ..lets hope this passes and is contained swiftly for you..

The four new cases were found in the same household in Auckland, but the source of the infections is not yet known.

In response, New Zealand's PM Jacinda Ardern announced that, as of noon on Wednesday, Auckland will move to "level 3" lockdown until midnight on Friday. This will mean everyone will be required to work from home apart from essential workers.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 09:40:17 AM by weather34 »

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #933 on: August 11, 2020, 02:49:18 PM »
yes, its like , next minute...
but as before we are going hard and early to stamp it out again

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #934 on: August 14, 2020, 10:48:51 PM »
rt.live is an interesting website. It shows graphs and details by state of the reproduction level of the virus over time.
https://rt.live/

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #935 on: August 15, 2020, 02:33:29 AM »
This is good local news.  OSU has reported fewer than expected number of positive COVID-19 cases from students moving into on campus housing:

https://www.stwnewspress.com/covid-19/breaking-osu-reports-22-positive-cases-while-testing-thousands-of-students-ahead-of-opening/article_84048296-de7f-11ea-841e-ff9a16486323.html#utm_source=stwnewspress.com&utm_campaign=%2Fcovid-19%2Fbreaking-osu-reports-22-positive-cases-while-testing-thousands-of-students-ahead-of-opening%2Farticle-84048296-de7f-11ea-841e-ff9a16486323.html%3Fmode%3Demail%26-dc%3D1597446361&utm_medium=auto%20alert%20email&utm_content=read%20more

Oklahoma State University is reporting that 22 returning students have tested positive for COVID-19. OSU is in the process of testing all students who will live on campus. The 22 students testing positive came from a pool of 3,049 test results.

So far, this number falls far below expectations. Stillwater Public Schools Superintendent Marc Moore, in discussing his district's report, said OSU had told him they expected anywhere from 5-8 percent positive.

The first official day of class for OSU on the Stillwater campus is Aug. 17.

In a release to employees, OSU called the results a "very low positivity rate."

"As was mentioned in the Employee Town Hall this week, OSU will be reporting weekly on positive cases associated with students, faculty and staff. While we are finalizing the details to begin publishing those statistics on our website, we wanted to inform you that students who were tested at move-in thus far are showing a very low positivity rate," the release reads. "Of the 3,049 students who were tested by University Health Services since the start of our move in process on Aug. 7, only 22 have tested positive, which is 0.72%.

"We know that as our students return to campus, the numbers will invariably go up, which is expected and something we have planned for over the last several months."

Mask enforcers: OSU expects students, faculty to report people not wearing masks — and there's no clear penalty:
https://www.ocolly.com/news/mask-enforcers-osu-expects-students-faculty-to-report-people-not-wearing-masks-and-theres-no/article_52a79bbc-dd89-11ea-841d-63499b46f414.html

Concerns regarding Stillwater music festival continue to increase.
https://www.ocolly.com/news/concerns-regarding-stillwater-music-festival-continue-to-increase/article_5cff0024-dce8-11ea-b796-6fc19d23ec45.html#tncms-source=article-nav-next
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 02:49:11 AM by Bunty »

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #936 on: August 15, 2020, 08:34:45 AM »
Folks need to get over the mask fantasy, they do nothing but cause anger and confrontation. If you'll notice the circled area on a package my friend opened the other day.

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #937 on: August 15, 2020, 08:38:07 AM »
Folks need to get over the mask fantasy, they do nothing but cause anger and confrontation. If you'll notice the circled area on a package my friend opened the other day.
Nobody to my knowledge ever suggested they 'eliminate' the risk of contracting disease. They sure as hell reduce it though. Since my city mandated masks, our county has seen a reduction in the seven day rolling average. But believe what you want I guess. I'll continue to wear mine when I'm out in public.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #938 on: August 15, 2020, 10:05:58 AM »
You virtue signal all you want and be sure to toe the line - but don't come in my yard or get in my face expecting me to adopt the same level of uninformed stupidity.

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #939 on: August 15, 2020, 11:37:03 AM »
You virtue signal all you want and be sure to toe the line - but don't come in my yard or get in my face expecting me to adopt the same level of uninformed stupidity.
I'm a mask-wearer and I'm taking your broad inference of yours personally, that you're basically calling me stupid for wearing a mask.  I would debate the pros and cons of wearing a mask or maybe even call *you* names but I can see that you appear to be immovable with your feet encased solidly in buckets of anti-masker cement...I just hope you don't fall in the river.

As for your little picture with the red circle...  It doesn't state anywhere on the label anything about "aerosoled droplets" that can contain one or more COVID-19 virions.  It's not mentioned probably because the manufacture would have to do intensive testing to be able to add that to the label and the demand for masks is so large that rather than halt production for label approval they're putting them out (in currently labeled bags).

But guess what, those aerosoled droplets are many, many times larger than a bacteria cell or a smoke particle which the label states the masks having a 95% efficiency at stopping.  With that information a logical person who doesn't have dementia or some type of entitlement delusion can see that the masks can be and *are* very effective in hindering the spread of the virus.

There are rights and freedoms to fight and die for...the issue of mask wearing is not one of those.  And, btw, stay out of my yard, too.

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #940 on: August 15, 2020, 11:50:56 AM »
Wow. Snowflake much? Ignore the science at your peril. I've been on these forums over 10 years and always respected your opinion. My mistake. Have a nice day.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #941 on: August 15, 2020, 11:57:23 AM »
Don't treat COVID19 as a thoroughly understood pathogen.  No matter what you think, there's good reason to believe that it's wrong.

I've maintained from the outset of this COVID19 debacle that we don't know what the samhill we're doing, and to treat the 'science' as definitive is to commit yourself to backtracking at some point in the future.  Figures lie and liars figure in order to support whatever viewpoint, i.e. bias, they started out with.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #942 on: August 15, 2020, 12:04:41 PM »
Don't treat COVID19 as a thoroughly understood pathogen.  No matter what you think, there's good reason to believe that it's wrong.

I've maintained from the outset of this COVID19 debacle that we don't know what the samhill we're doing, and to treat the 'science' as definitive is to commit yourself to backtracking at some point in the future.  Figures lie and liars figure in order to support whatever viewpoint, i.e. bias, they started out with.

True, but pathogens all do the same thing.  They spread via droplets, human contact, blood contact, whatever.  This one may not be understood very well yet by the very nature of it's newness to science, but it spreads in the same manner that many common pathogens do.  That much is known.

I'm not quite sure what 'virtue signaling' is, but I listen to scientists when they say wearing a mask helps.  I know it doesn't help much in keeping the wearer from infection, but if someone is asymptomatic and wearing a mask, that's a good thing.  Not everyone presents symptoms.  I have two co-morbidities (T2DM, and hypertension) and sure others have them as well, so I'm trying to be as responsible as I can.  If that means me wearing a mask for the duration of a visit to a store or what have you, then so be it.  Seeing all these people confronting others for either wearing masks or not wanting to wear a mandated mask in some facility tells me all I need to know about our civilization right now.

Stay informed.  Listen to science.  Listen to doctors.

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.".  Not from me, from Neal deGrasse Tyson.  He's not wrong.
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #943 on: August 15, 2020, 12:15:09 PM »
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.".  Not from me, from Neal deGrasse Tyson.  He's not wrong.
Almost true of the physical sciences.  Patently false with respect to the softer sciences.  Medicine is protean and evolving, which constantly invalidates the 'science' of the past.  Oh, BTW, I AM an MD with over half a century of experience.  I trained for a while just down the street from the CDC after graduating from JHU School of Medicine where a 'History of Medicine' course opened my eyes about medical knowledge's evanescence.  How medicine is practiced today is vastly different than it will be done in the future.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #944 on: August 15, 2020, 12:49:43 PM »
@Stevebrtx if you have no background in science then don't preach or jump on viewpoints ,the best thing you can do instead of reading google searched based documents and when you read them thinking you know whats right or wrong or shoving humanitarian gestures back up someones ass . if you are unconvinced on the seriousness of this virus then get yourself off to the hospital and visit a patient recovering from the virus having come out of ICU  ol your viewpoint will vastly change if not then best we leave you to a miserable existence of don't give a dam  f*** about anyone else..  .

I said way back in January " the economy " will dictate how countries deal and handle this virus once it spreads. what this pandemic highlighted cracks in so called strong economies , weakness is business that had no contingency means , highlighted how business were not sustainable under various scenarios ...

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #945 on: August 15, 2020, 01:33:16 PM »
Weather34, here's a simple yes or no question: If in fact I do have a science background with degrees from prestigious universities and a documented career, would you now believe me?

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #946 on: August 15, 2020, 01:39:31 PM »
Weather34, here's a simple yes or no question: If in fact I do have a science background with degrees from prestigious universities and a documented career, would you now believe me?

well you certainly don’t portray it you portray a rather self righteousness dont give a dam about anyone else. so if you have a background in science then show some educational viewpoints as opposed too your current dont give a dam viewpoint and this viewpoint wearing a mask causes anger well perhaps your in that mindset , i dont view it as anger and neither do i see others around me , perhaps frustrations of discomfort in the heat  but not anger and certainly not prejudice against anyone not wearing ....

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #947 on: August 15, 2020, 01:57:29 PM »
That wasn't a yes or no answer, that's all I asked for.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #948 on: August 15, 2020, 02:11:42 PM »
If in fact I do have a science background with degrees from prestigious universities and a documented career, would you now believe me?

If that is the case, rather than just a deflecting, hypothetical question, then it sure as hell wasn't in virology or any related discipline or you would know better. (Speaking as a PhD biochemist with a career in disease control and drug discovery.)
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #949 on: August 15, 2020, 02:44:46 PM »
It's time for this to be said, because it's the right thing to do. I've mostly sat back and watched this parade pass by with some amazement and a lot of distress. The primary thing that distresses me is what a collective bunch of whiny little snowflakes we've become regarding this subject. Most of us are products of the Greatest Generation, did we learn nothing from them? What ever happened to critical thinking, do we just fall in line like good little sheeple at the first call of a threat? Go back and look at who and what Americans are and how we react and persevere in the face of a threat.

In the early 20th century we fought and won a world war while at the same time facing the Spanish Flu pandemic which was a vastly more lethal killer than this current virus - but we didn't even consider shutting down our economy. We rebuilt and smacked right into the stock market crash of 1929, the Dust Bowl and the Great Depression, but as Americans we continued on and rebuilt. Then, a two front world war and we fought our way through to win and rebuild our economy and the American lifestyle even greater than before. Then the cold war and threat of a nuclear war. The Korean conflict had less impact on us, we continued on. Next Viet Nam and the unrest of the 60's, but we always looked to the horizon without fear and trepidation because we knew we were winners. We eventually faced down the enemy in the cold war and celebrated, moving on to a better tomorrow, secure in the knowledge we are Americans and we would win - we've faced and won each of the battles of circumstance that have come our way.

It's not the American way to crawl under a desk in the fetal position when confronted with something shocking and potentially scary, it never has been - at least until now when we've allowed ourselves to be panicked into crawling under the desk by bogus numbers generated by computer models, by inflated unsupported numbers coming out of testing labs and other suspect sources, not the least in the main stream media. When did we become the millennial snowflake generation cowering in fear over an imagined adversary? And, as for this new tactic of mask shaming me for not wearing one, you're wasting your time - it goes nowhere with me. If it's so dangerous to be around people with no masks, then you should stay home, no one forced you to come near me, you've placed yourself in harms way, no one but you is to blame. I certainly don't run around hugging and kissing people. For the rest of us, we have a life to live and things to accomplish that sitting inside a bubble watching netflix won't get done.

Look around, businesses and lives are being destroyed by this lemmings stampede to nowhere. Some small businesses are the life's work and dream of people and now they're gone, and for the imaginary safety of some cloth masks and anti-social distancing? What is the price of this mythological safety we're all being forced to dance to - certainly our freedom as we once knew it is already gone. Each life is precious, but people die every day from a thousand other causes. Now we're told that even if you show up mangled beyond recognition from a car accident but showing positive for the virus it's a covid death and for that we've sacrificed our freedom for some imagined safety?

I'm seventy seven with asthma and  I have a tactical belt with holster normally used for a small pistol which now contains my compulsory compassion mask and my emergency inhaler. I strap them on just before entering a business because I can't wear the mask for very long before I notice the reduced oxygen intake and the re-breathed carbon dioxide caused by the mask may force me to use the inhaler, imagine trying to explain that to some mask nazi at the grocery store. Besides losing my sense of humor, I've lost my dignity and my sense of community. And, mostly I've lost my faith in my generation who should know better than to be cowed by this sham. I have little faith in the millennial generation to carry on the traditions of America as laid out by the Constitution. I've believed we, the older generation, should continue on a logical course praying the next generation after the snowflakes will be up to the task and that America will survive until then. As Ronald Reagan said "freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction" - are we at that tipping point, driven by something as banal as a virus?