Author Topic: WU substitute  (Read 690 times)

Offline JECO

WU substitute
« on: October 25, 2021, 11:31:36 AM »
Currently using WU so that others can see my observations from my Vantage 2. Because it is getting more difficult for others in my neighborhood to find my station, I am wondering what other sites I can use to substitute for WU. Are there similar sites? Or is Wu the only one. Davis only gives the WU in the file menu. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
Re: WU substitute
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 02:17:30 PM »
There are several, but WU is the only site that offers "rapid fire" (live) updates. All other sites update every minute or more. PWS Weather is probably the best alternative. Awekas is a foreign site, but hosts US stations. There is also Weather Cloud. I believe they are a foreign hosting site, as well, but they offer hourly updates you can link to your Twitter account. I have a Vue at our family cabin and set up a Twitter account solely for those hourly updates. Hoping people will find it within the community and subscribe to the page.
Davis Vantage Vue (Brentwood, CA KCABRENT8 and Arnold, CA KCAARNOL99)
Davis Vantage Pro2 (Lakehead, CA KCALAKEH52)
LaCrosse 2813 (retired 1/17/2018)

Offline JECO

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 08:52:34 PM »
Thank you. I am trying to setup in PWS Weather, but my station continues to not connect. Do they support Davis instruments?

Offline rpegg

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 04:11:27 PM »
Certainly not a seasoned expert on these stations like so many others here.   I was able to get WU, PWS and WeatherLink running with only a little difficulty.   Have been using WU for years but in order to get WeatherLink running I needed to take WU uploads off of the 3second rapidfire.   Maybe rapidfire also can't upload with WU in rapidfire.   I'm using a wireless WifiLogger for my uploads.   I eventually settled on uploading WU at 6sec intervals, WeatherLink at 2 minute intervals, and PWS at 6 minute intervals.   Seems to be operating just fine for me.

If you are using a wired station with a separate standalone processor for uploads then maybe it will require different intervals.  Again, take all that with a grain of salt.   For me the whole process seemed to be mostly thinking logically, but remember to stand on your left leg during an even calendar day.

Offline JECO

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 04:32:07 PM »
repegg: Thanks for replying. Since my posting, I have successfully connected to WS and am using it exclusively to post my observations. I like the site, although they still have several fixes to make before I can call it perfect.

Offline JECO

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 05:22:12 PM »
rpegg: One more comment. PWSweather updates my Vantage Pro observations every 15 minutes but the updates are always 8 minutes behind.

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 05:43:23 AM »
You may also consider going with WeeWX or Meteobridge and having your own site. Meteobridge works well with the excellent Weather34 template and WeeWX has several template options. WeeWX templates are also fairly easy to customize.

Note that "rapid fire" updates are doable with WeeWX (I'm not 100% sure about Meteobridge). For example, on my site I have wind, baro, and temperature data updating every few seconds. Everything else updates every five minutes.

https://griffinparkweather.com/

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 08:45:55 AM »
I have every 10 seconds set on Meteobridge to my W34 site.

anything