Author Topic: Replacement for AW WS-2000  (Read 3192 times)

Offline Oilswell

Re: Replacement for AW WS-2000
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2020, 04:40:31 PM »
Thanks for your response galfert, I really appreciate your answer. It gives me more confidence to make a, what I consider "costly but not necessary," purchase.  :lol:

Offline Oilswell

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2020, 05:28:01 PM »
Well I got tired of waiting for a warranty claim and ended up ordering a Vantage Pro 2 wireless model and a Weatherlink Live data logger.

I have to say the logger options were super overwhelming but I thought I have to start somewhere...

I can't wait till they get here and thanks to all who posted ideas!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2020, 10:56:48 PM »
Best of luck with your new station.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline arbkab

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2020, 04:32:28 PM »
Late to the party I guess, but you can buy a replacement thermo-hygrometer for the WS-2000 for $28.

https://www.ambientweather.com/amws2902thermohyfroassembly.html

Offline Oilswell

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2020, 04:34:52 PM »
Late to the party I guess, but you can buy a replacement thermo-hygrometer for the WS-2000 for $28.

Well thanks for thinking about me but I've already sent it back for credit card extended warranty and should have a new VP2 arrive next week.

Offline arbkab

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2020, 04:45:24 PM »

Well thanks for thinking about me but I've already sent it back for credit card extended warranty and should have a new VP2 arrive next week.
Yeah, I learned the hard way myself. My WS-2902A hygrometer went belly up on me last fall and rather than replace the whole array, I just ponied up for an entire WS-2000 system (LOVE the console). It was only after I had everything back up and running that I found out you could buy just the thermo-hygrometer by itself for fairly cheap. My original 2902 array worked flawlessly for a little over 2 years on the Texas gulf coast and, other than the hygrometer, still going strong when I decided to replace full system.

Having said that, I came AWFULLY close to buying the system you just purchased.

Offline Oilswell

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2020, 10:11:18 PM »
I'm starting to realize the limitations to the VP2 and WLL regarding historical data and am considering upgrading to a pro plan for weathelink.com. At $4/month are there any better options for me?

I've put Cumulus MX on a laptop which seems decent but I don't want to run it 24/7. I was hoping whenever I turned it on it would upload from the WLL and full in the laptop down time but that doesn't seem to be an option unless I'm missing something.

Can anyone recommend a better solution given the cost over time that is spend on a pro upgrade? I really liked the Ambient Weather app (Android) and historical data I could access from my phone. Would my best option for that be a Meteobridge or Weatherbridge logger and if I get one of those do I have to pay a fee to AW?

Is one more versatile that the other it are there better options? It's all so confusing.
Appreciate and value your input as always...

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2020, 10:31:13 PM »
Get a Raspberry Pi and run Cumulus MX on that so that you don't need to keep your computer running. You saw how the interface for Cumulus MX is just accessible via an internal webpage. Any time you want to see or interact with your data you open your browser on your laptop and point it to the Raspberry Pi. It all neatly runs on the Raspberry Pi, but is easily accessible from laptop with nothing to install on laptop.

Raspberry Pi has the following advantages:
- minimal cost
- minimal space (run it headless; no monitor, no keyboard, no mouse)
- minimal power use to run 24/7
- can be totally silent if you put it in a Flirc case (no moving parts, no fan) or alternative heatsink cases like Argon NEO, Geekworm cases.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 10:41:43 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Oilswell

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2020, 10:38:56 PM »
Get a Raspberry Pi and run Cumulus MX on that so that you need to keep your computer running. You saw how the interface for Cumulus MX is just accessible via an internal webpage. Any time you want to see or interact with your data you open your browser on your laptop and point it to the Raspberry Pi. It all neatly runs on the Raspberry Pi.
I've got a Raspberry Pi kicking around but I'm such a klutz with Linux. Do you happen to know of any easy to follow tutorials for a total noob?

I like this idea though... Would I also be able to access this web interface from my phone?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2020, 06:18:51 AM »
I would recommend heading over to the official Cumulus forum and asking for help there. I'm sure you will be well received. I've read countless posts of people that didn't know a lick of Linux and were amazed that once they jumped in with the right tutorial and assistance that they were able to get it done. That first step is the toughest one to take. After that it starts to fall in place.

https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/index.php
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2020, 05:08:35 AM »
Get a Raspberry Pi and run Cumulus MX on that so that you need to keep your computer running. You saw how the interface for Cumulus MX is just accessible via an internal webpage. Any time you want to see or interact with your data you open your browser on your laptop and point it to the Raspberry Pi. It all neatly runs on the Raspberry Pi.
I've got a Raspberry Pi kicking around but I'm such a klutz with Linux. Do you happen to know of any easy to follow tutorials for a total noob?

I like this idea though... Would I also be able to access this web interface from my phone?

How's it going?
https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16931
Tele-Pole

Offline Oilswell

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2020, 10:14:19 AM »

How's it going?
That was a great direction to send me galfert. I started the process yesterday and got a good way through the process but lost communication between the pi via putty. So I'm somewhat stalled right now but hopeful.

Offline Oilswell

« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2020, 05:44:24 PM »

How's it going?
An update for you. I'm shocked and thrilled to say I've got it up and running with the help of the good folks over on the Cumulus forums. It's been a challenging few days since most of my support was coming from such a distant time zone.

Thanks again galfert [tup]

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2020, 08:08:10 PM »
Excellent. Glad to hear. Thank you for the update. May you inspire others to make the leap.
Tele-Pole