Author Topic: WS-2000 - online services?  (Read 761 times)

Offline N6GQ

WS-2000 - online services?
« on: January 02, 2020, 05:55:14 PM »
Hey all, thanks for the great resource here.

I am in the suburbs. I'd like a decent weather station for my house that I can watch from afar, and allow others in my family to see as well. It doesn't have to be top of the line and super accurate as long as its somewhat decent. Seems to me the WS-2000 fulfills that.

My question is what online services would work well with that unit. I thought WU was discontinuing their support for PWSs but it seems it still works. What other online services work well with the WS-2000, and are there any that stand out in terms of capability, etc.? Primarily I am interested in the free services, I'd rather not have a monthly fee for uploading my weather data. Realtime or pseudo-realtime is what I'm after.

Lastly, is my choice of WS-2000 within reason for this purpose? I'm looking for temp/humidity/wind/rain and any extra is a bonus. Tracking over time is important but I think that's there with any data hosting service eh?

This will be used in North Texas.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: WS-2000 - online services?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 06:38:01 PM »
I think the WS-2000 would serve you well. There is no perfect station out there. The WS-2000 certainly hits that reasonable price and I think it will surpass your expectations.

As to where the WS-2000 will report to without added hardware and without added software it will report to the following:
- Weather Underground
- Ambientweather.net
- WeatherCloud
- PWSweather (via Ambientweather.com)

But you could add extra hardware or software or both and then upload to many many more places. You could add a GW1000 and then use Cumulus MX, Weather-Display, WeeWx or Meteobridge and upload to just about anywhere that exists now or will in the future.

You could also look at a complete Ecowitt station instead of the Ambient WS-2000. For example the HP2551 which is almost the same thing (some differences due to firmware and it changes some options). Or you can look at many of the other Ecowitt complete kits or customize a kit.

Look here for more info:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=37760.0
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline wd68

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 05:36:36 PM »
Myself, I am waiting for the WS-5000 thats supposed to be at there store sometime this summer. Plan to get the optional p/c 2.5 reader as well. Come on Summer  \:D/

Offline N6GQ

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 05:42:07 PM »
Myself, I am waiting for the WS-5000 thats supposed to be at there store sometime this summer. Plan to get the optional p/c 2.5 reader as well. Come on Summer  \:D/

WS-5000 + PM2.5 is available now and has been for some time. I've had mine for a number of months and it works great. Get it for the Spring Tornado season! From your neighbor to the south...

Offline wd68

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 11:24:42 PM »
Ok, you must be using a store that is something other than the ambient site. It shows 0 in stock. I can wait if it gives me more sensors lightning would be nice and the heater would be nice too. It says the p2.5 sensor is available. Ordered, so hope they get here before the old 2902 dies. Its giving me trouble with wind speed. Lifes not fair....

Offline bandityo

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 04:33:47 PM »
you can order the ws-5000 and the rain sensor seperate on ambient.. however, that will cost you $20 more than if they came in the same box