Author Topic: AllisonHouse Price Increase  (Read 3315 times)

Offline pertman

• Data on Wunderground
AllisonHouse Price Increase
« on: August 08, 2019, 11:41:55 AM »
Just got an email from AH that their pricing is increasing -- for a Storm Chaser subscription it is a 25% increase from 129.99 to 164.99. Below is a cut and paste from their email. IMHO, I don't need new features or "super-res" data. I think they should have a basic, cheaper level without the bells and whistles. Does anybody have any suggestions for an alternate source of data?

$3 Price Increase
AllisonHouse has kept our pricing flat for the past 6 years and only raised our prices once before in the past 12 years. We believe we have been an excellent partner these last 12 years and a good steward of your trust in AllisonHouse by continually adding new features, significant amounts of additional new data and world-class infrastructure. To allow us to continue in this tradition of data excellence, we need to continue to invest in even more capabilities, features, and data. We believe that the cost of one cup of coffee each month is not significant for most of our customers, though not all. I (Tyler Allison) personally apologize to any customer that will be unable to continue on this journey with us while at the same time I feel strongly that AllisonHouse must continue to invest for the rest of our customers. You'll see one example of our continued investment below in this Newsletter (Super-Res Level 3).
Every current and future subscriber will be subject to the price increase on Sept. 15th. Our Storm Chaser subscriptions will be $14.99 monthly/$164.89 annually and our Storm Hunter subscriptions will be $29.99 Monthly/$329.89 annually. We will be honoring existing pricing for anyone who purchases a 1-year subscription prior to September 15th, doing so will give you the next 12 months at the historical price.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: AllisonHouse Price Increase
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 12:24:52 PM »
' personally apologize to any customer that will be unable to continue on this journey with us ... ' ... to fatten our bank account at the expense of those who have less than we do.

I can't believe how many people get suckered into subscription services of any kind for anything.

NOAA still provides basic feeds for free and there are other ways to get some of the frills.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 12:27:30 PM by WeatherHost »

Offline pertman

• Data on Wunderground
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 01:22:01 PM »
Could you suggest some other sources for me?

Thanks for the reply!

P.

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 01:23:56 PM »
Think I will gather up the 3$ a month and continue on. Guess you could call the weather my hobby and a rather cheap hobby when compared to a lot of others.

Doug

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 02:50:53 PM »
I have used Allisonhouse since 2010, and have been very pleased with their service. I can count on one hand how many times they were down in that time frame, and when they were down, the NWS was normally down as well. I will continue to use them for the foreseeable future.

@pertman - To my knowledge there aren't any other data services like Allisonhouse for Level 3 radar data, outside of the default NWS connection.

@WeatherHost - Back when I started with them (April 2010), the default Level 3 service was subject to overload anytime there was a severe weather outbreak (think about the nationwide 30 minute radar outage that occurred during the Yazoo City, MS EF4 tornado on April24, 2010). Granted it is far better now than it was then, it is still subject to overload.

In addition to having GR2AE/GR3 radar access and having available many placefiles that I use on my website and personally when severe weather is in my area, I can also use my subscription on Radarscope on both my phone and tablet. Plus, their customer service is top notch.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 05:10:05 PM »
I've been using the basic GRLevel3 2.50. Nothing fancy it's a 1-time purchase around $80 and has a trial period. Not a storm chaser, just a spotter and run a weather website. If something is going on I upload images to the website.

Here is a current example down at North Platte: You get storm attributes direction barbs of cells and movement speed. Storm reports warning boxes, etc. 
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 05:17:21 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 05:18:33 PM »
Same here, just a hobbyist using the default NWS servers.  If it goes down, I switch to the local NWS WFO site.  But I find that usually if GRX goes down it's because the local WFO radar is down, so no paid site is going to have data either.  In those cases, I just switch to a neighboring WFO and I'm usually back in business.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 05:42:09 PM »
If OP wanted the forecast models instead of doppler there are several free sources to run loops. The one I use most often is pivotalweather.com....Example HRRR latest run locally: https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=hrrr&p=qpf_acc&rh=2019072718&fh=loop&r=us_state_ne&dpdt=&mc=

The EURO model is available at weather.us.
Randy

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 12:19:33 PM »
There is caprock weather.
http://www.caprockweather.com/
But as for radar data they only provide L3.

The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 12:27:38 PM »
There is caprock weather.
http://www.caprockweather.com/
But as for radar data they only provide L3.

Interesting. Did not know they existed, but I am not seeing any prices.

Edit:  They are not accepting new subscriptions at this time, hence the reason I couldn't find the pricing.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 12:40:41 PM by sacreyweather »
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline pertman

• Data on Wunderground
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 12:48:20 PM »
Being a newbie to the NWS Level 3 servers, what URL do I enter into GRLevel to access it. I tried looking at the NWS site and am confused. Can anybody help?

Regards,

P.

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 08:01:19 PM »
Does anyone know how many subscribers AH has? Speaking from a bit of experience, the number of people willing to pay for weather data is dwindling. So this may just be an effort to keep the service alive rather than a money grab. Hard to say without knowing subscriber numbers though.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 08:03:42 AM »
Don't know how many subs they have. The fact that they have no competition means they control this particular market. Also NOAA has got much better in terms of reliability.
The one  place  NOAA falls behind is L2 data. Usually it's    5-10 minutes behind  L3.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

anything