Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109196 times)

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Now I am confused. I know for a fact my consoles cannot be updated beyond 1.9. Does that mean the WiFi logger won’t work?

I have just checked. You can have 1.90 firmware for you console. This will give you extra data.
I am working for you. If people don't want to update theirs consoles to minimum firmware version 1.90 I will program this exception, but losing some data.
I highly recommend to have those informations.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Now I am confused. I know for a fact my consoles cannot be updated beyond 1.9. Does that mean the WiFi logger won’t work?
Ron I am currently testing it on 1.9 and it works fine.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Ron I am currently testing it on 1.9 and it works fine.

Perfect. If I can update my console to 1.9 that currently has version 1.82, then I am good to go.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Will this work with pwsweather.com?
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Yes, PWS Weather is one of the several auto uploads at whatever interval you choose
http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KOMOKA2.html

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Yes, PWS Weather is one of the several auto uploads at whatever interval you choose
http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KOMOKA2.html

Enjoy,
Paul

So, this new tool or “toy” will upload to pwsweather.com but Davis’ Weatherlink won’t? Goofy. Can’t wait to buy one!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:33:45 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
So, this new tool or “toy” will upload to pwsweather.com but Davis’ Weatherlink won’t? Goofy. Can’t wait to buy one!

This is funny situation, because WL.com, and now WL 2.0 are very good services.
I thought adding WL.com to WiFiLogger would be an advantage.
You probably do not like Davis politics, not theirs services.

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
No advantage to WL.com and somehow I doubt WL.com won't be outsourcing the means to do this any time soon.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
It's not a problem for me. I am flexible.
+ WiFiLogger is an IoT device like many other new stations. People are submitting new ideas for sending data, maybe we will set a new standard together.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG

I don't have one, but from reading the info here I think of the WiFiLogger as a device that performs many of the functions of MeteoBridge (but is not related) and is small enough to fit into a Davis console's data logger port.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
And power efficient (0.3 Watts).
Yes I have watched what is main used and I have programed it. So WU, PWS are common for everything.
FTP file is similar to WeatherLink FTP export.
I will program a few more weather sites, but I see that there is a many ideas come to me from other users. We will try make something new to weather data sharing.
But first of all I will enhance WiFiLogger with external GSM module. I have many questions for that. Should be useful.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
And power efficient (0.3 Watts).
Yes I have watched what is main used and I have programed it. So WU, PWS are common for everything.
FTP file is similar to WeatherLink FTP export.
I will program a few more weather sites, but I see that there is a many ideas come to me from other users. We will try make something new to weather data sharing.
But first of all I will enhance WiFiLogger with external GSM module. I have many questions for that. Should be useful.

Power efficient being .3 watts. Using only batteries and uploading to say 4 sites every 5 minutes, how long do you think the 3 “C” batteries will work? Thoughts? Probably not too long so I may hook it up to AC power when I get mine.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
3-4 days, but I have programmed Sleep Mode to disable wifi chip for programmable interval.
5 min won't change anything, because it need 20-30s to connect to router, check time, download settings from console, make upload. When you want to export archive records it's 2min, 15 sec for full memory.
I think 15 min interval it's minimum to have profit with this function.
I did not tested yet how much time it will work on baterries with this mode. When I will have this data I will inform you.
My estimation is about 1 month.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
My console with WiFiLogger work on home made DC UPS 5V.
You can use some power banks, but not all will work as DC UPS. Some has no bypass option and you can't charge and discharge them in one time.

Please go to ebay, google etc. and search for "Angle DC 3.5*1.35mm USB" this cable has little bigger head than original one, but its fit, maybe it's slightly tight, but works fine.
Usb has same parameters like original console adapter. 5v 0.5A. You can use phone charger as well with USB, your PC when it's working with console.
This cable is a key to use power bank/ DC UPS.

For WiFiLogger users there is also second option to use soldering iron, remove fuse which is connecting power from console and solder external power supply max 9v (fuse limitation), or 12-14v without fuse, to supply wifi chip.

I couldn't not do anything more.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Please go to ebay, google etc. and search for "Angle DC 3.5*1.35mm USB" this cable has little bigger head than original one, but its fit, maybe it's slightly tight, but works fine.

Or Davis part 6627.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
3-4 days, but I have programmed Sleep Mode to disable wifi chip for programmable interval.
5 min won't change anything, because it need 20-30s to connect to router, check time, download settings from console, make upload. When you want to export archive records it's 2min, 15 sec for full memory.
I think 15 min interval it's minimum to have profit with this function.
I did not tested yet how much time it will work on baterries with this mode. When I will have this data I will inform you.
My estimation is about 1 month.

I think having an upload minimum of 15 minutes or so will turn some people off as many, myself included, prefer 5 minutes. When marketing your datalogger this “limitation” should clearly be disclosed so as to avoid costly returns. I still want one but will use it for secondary uploads to WU, CWOP, etc., and leave my Davis WL for primary purposes where uploads will continue to be 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 10:20:22 AM by WheatonRon »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
I think having an upload minimum of 15 minutes or so will turn some people off as many, myself included, prefer 5 minutes.

What's the issue here though? Isn't this discussion just about battery life if the unit is run on battery power alone?

If you want network/Internet connectivity of any type (except maybe via BT LE), whether that's cabled (eg IP logger) or WiFi, AND reasonably frequent data updates then that's going to call for AC mains power (other than for short-term use eg to cover mains outages). The only alternative is a reasonably chunky solar PSU, ie panel+charger+battery, which gets progressively more costly at higher latitudes. But in general isn't the answer mains power and then you can update as often as you wish.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 10:54:21 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Original WeatherLink IP has same battery life like WiFiLogger.
To make it better I have added external power option, to prevent battery drain and I have add this Sleep Mode maybe somebody will need this.
Normal usage of IP and WiFI is using main power. 3-4 days are good enough when storm is comming and you need to unplug main power for 2 hours.

Does because original WheatherLink IP has same issue and there is about 26 000 pcs in the world, I don't think that will be a problem.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
I think having an upload minimum of 15 minutes or so will turn some people off as many, myself included, prefer 5 minutes.

What's the issue here though? Isn't this discussion just about battery life if the unit is run on battery power alone?

If you want network/Internet connectivity of any type (except maybe via BT LE), whether that's cabled (eg IP logger) or WiFi, AND reasonably frequent data updates then that's going to call for AC mains power (other than for short-term use eg to cover mains outages). The only alternative is a reasonably chunky solar PSU, ie panel+charger+battery, which gets progressively more costly at higher latitudes. But in general isn't the answer mains power and then you can update as often as you wish.

I am confused. If the update interval can be, for example, 5 minutes or so using AC power, then this limitation, in my mind, is moot. I thought the answer given by WiFiLogger applied to both AC and DC power of the console.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 02:52:43 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
I am confused. If the update interval can be, for example, 5 minutes or so using AC power, then this limitation, in my mind, is moot. I thought the answer given by WiFiLogger applied to both AC and DC power of the console.

My take was that on AC power then you can use whatever update interval you choose. But updating uses significant power, so to mitigate that on battery power (only) then you might be able to space out the updates more (eg every 15 mins or less often) and so conserve power. I think that's what was meant BICBW.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
johnd is correct, I am on AC  and uploading to 6 sites at 5 minute interval, and could do more frequent.  Also uploading console data at same time.

Enjoy,
Paul
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 05:03:48 PM by PaulMy »

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Ron, john nailed it.
You can upload data as frequent as 1 minute and even use WU Rapid Fire option on battery power but those frequent updates consume more battery power. Disabling Rapid Fire and stretching those other sites up to 10 or 15 minute updates will drastically reduce battery consumption.
I posted this back at the beginning of the thread about about Battery power.
Power Consumption. It does use the juice but not as much as I thought. I am uploading to 4 sites at these intervals. 10 minutes, 9 minutes, 1 minute, and WU Rapid Fire at 3 seconds. The batteries lasted
for 4 days and 15 hours. Voltage got down to 3.45 this morning so I plugged it back in. 

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
Hi,

Can you confirm the final build capabilities and price.

In addition what is the functionality difference between the two proposed models.

I like the idea of a fully self contained module.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Also wanted to ad that the wifilogger has a realtime data page thus rendering WU Rapid fire moot. But the Rapidfire page also has a nicer interface which I'm sure is more appealing.

Offline Harley

At the proposed price point these things should sell like hotcakes!  Well done!  I will likely get one.  And I for one do not care about WL.com    BTW, any chance we will see a Bluetooth version?

Thank you. A lot of good words were written under whole this post.

There is newer hardware to use with bluetooth onboard, but I would need another a few month to change it.
Bluetooth is local communication, it will not give you a big advantage.
I am thinking about external GSM addon. I should will be succeed. This is more important than Bluetooth.

WL.com it's under construction, we will see what it will can do. I don't know how about watching data on WL.com, but for transmit data from console to WL.com they have best solution of all.
No oder website accept archive data from data logger. All needs only current data. They accept also HiLows data.
For Davis weather stations it's the best.

For me to check data best site is www.pwsweather.com I like its data presentation.

I'd certainly be interested in a GSM version, I'm currently running an Envoy and Arduino for GSM but this looks much better and most importantly with less power consumption  :grin:

Will you be selling direct to EU customers or through a reseller? Either way im willing to purchase one as soon as they are available.

anything