Author Topic: My Weather Monitor II Never Stops!  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Red-Dave

• Weather Geek
  • Contributor
    • AfftonWeather.com
My Weather Monitor II Never Stops!
« on: May 22, 2021, 01:32:13 AM »
I know I'm gonna get a few eye rolls here, :roll: but my story is as entertaining as it is pathetic.

I have a Weather Monitor II that has been running for something like 22 years. Love that little guy. I replaced the anemometer probably 18 years ago and a rain bucket maybe 5 years ago. Still going strong otherwise. The weakest link in the whole chain is the 2 PCs I've gone through running VWS for that whole time. Well, the last one is slowly dying so I'm looking to move it all to a Windows 10 machine. The problem I have is the comm port. I have a USB to serial adapter and with that, WeatherLink can communicate with the console just fine, but VWS ain't having it.

So, what options does a luddite like me have to go forward. 20 something years ago I loved getting all into how this stuff worked and sending my data all over the place, WU, CWOP, APRS, Ham Weather etc. These days I still love having my data on the web, but I gotta say that I'm a cranky old fart now and I have family and work obligations that keep me from camping out in my weather lab tinkering with the ins and outs of software settings. My best case scenario would be a "new" machine that I could clone my old setup on so I could just fire it up and forget about it. But, I'm also a realist and I can see that I should at least try to get out of the caveman days.

Just get a new station you say? Well, I'm with you and that day will come, but at the moment I am really invested in this great old gear. I have added 2 original Wireless Vantage Pro consoles and 2 Weather Echos around the house that we all love having around. Besides, my rig on the roof has rust an inch thick on the bolts holding it together. The only way to revamp that arrangement at this point would be with a Sawzall. Did I mention that my wife wants to move soon? So, I'd like to keep this system happy until we vacate this observation post sometime soon and then just install all new gear at the new location. I mean, I just love that the thing is still chugging away.

To sum it up, I'm in search of a solution to make VWS see the WMII or another software suggestion that wouldn't have that problem.

For those of you determined enough to still be reading, I appreciate your dedication and I hope you chuckled a little.
Life sure is fun, isn't it?
 [tup]

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: My Weather Monitor II Never Stops!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 02:28:58 AM »
Don't worry there are some of us who know what a WMII is and and also a Weather Echo  :grin: and and even how a Vantage Pro console worked with a WMII, No they just aren't made like they used to hey, the WMII, VP1 and Weather Echo were a good combination and not a dam subscription in sight  [tup]   

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 05:41:09 AM »
First I'd try a different USB to serial adapter. Adapters using FTDI chips seem to be the most reliable for me.

If that doesn't work then you can always go with a industrial windows 10 box that has a serial port. Example:
https://www.amazon.com/Fanless-Industrial-Windows-2-5-inch-Internal/dp/B08BXD81S9/

That's just an example. Search around for a better unit at a better price.

Honestly though, if you know you're going to be getting a new station in the somewhat near future, I wouldn't spend much on getting the current station running on a newer PC.

Offline Red-Dave

• Weather Geek
  • Contributor
    • AfftonWeather.com
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 09:35:16 AM »
Yea mattk, you know... that subscription thing does kinda rub my rug the wrong way. I've had my stuff online humming away all this time and never paid a penny. Also, I have some spare parts around and I could conceivably prop up this rig for quite a few more years. Ebay is great.

And doubleohwhatever, that Windows 10 computer is a thing of absolute beauty. That could be my weather computer for years after my WMII goes into the museum. Never knew such a thing existed.. Excellent find. I must learn more! I'll try to shop those a bit.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 09:37:08 AM by Red-Dave »

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 02:23:46 PM »
Usconverters.com has a selection of 232 to USB adapters.
I choose the thunder link and never had anything complain, especially since I work with Motorola radios from the 80s under DOS!
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline Red-Dave

• Weather Geek
  • Contributor
    • AfftonWeather.com
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 11:12:49 PM »
Ok, so bear with me, smart people.
(Smarter than me)  ;)
Would it be possible to bypass the serial adapter altogether and just use an adapter to go from the RJ9 phone connecter directly to a USB?
That just seems too easy. What say y'all?

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 11:13:53 PM »
Would it be possible to bypass the serial adapter altogether and just use an adapter to go from the RJ9 phone connecter directly to a USB?
Nope

Better answer: I'm not aware of one available for purchase.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 11:31:24 PM by doubleohwhatever »

Offline Red-Dave

• Weather Geek
  • Contributor
    • AfftonWeather.com
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 11:39:53 PM »
Ha! I was just about to ask you why. Here is such an adapter, but I wonder if it could actually work.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B086L3MRRJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_KM1ZS20ZCZJMDJR7AFGR

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 11:47:03 PM »
Sorry, I should have been more clear. There *are* RJ11 to USB serial adapters available. However, without comparing the pinout of the WMII/WeatherLink cable to the pinout of the adapter port, it would be risky to just connect things and give it a go. If the wrong voltage is sent down the wrong wire, you could damage your WMII/WeatherLink.

Also, the adapter you linked to does not appear to be a serial adapter. If you want to connect your WMII to your computer via a USB port then you will have to use a serial adapter. There is no way around that.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 11:57:01 PM by doubleohwhatever »

Offline Red-Dave

• Weather Geek
  • Contributor
    • AfftonWeather.com
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 11:55:27 PM »
Good points there. I'm admittedly out of my league on this topic.
It just seems like there ought to be a way to streamline or simplify this hookup.

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2021, 11:57:50 PM »
You're working in the land of legacy equipment. Here there be dragons adapters.

Offline Red-Dave

• Weather Geek
  • Contributor
    • AfftonWeather.com
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2021, 12:16:49 AM »
At this point, it seems I am legacy equipment.   #-o

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2021, 12:17:23 AM »
.... https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B086L3MRRJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_KM1ZS20ZCZJMDJR7AFGR

No I would stay away from that one.

In the context of WMII's and PC's without serial ports there needs to be a 2 items, USB to Serial adapter and a Serial adapter which connects to the serial plug of the USB to Serial adapter into which the modular 6P4C connector of the logger serial cable plugs to. This Serial adapter, which is a black one (as opposed to the VP logger Blue adapter version) can be easily eliminated via custom wiring, the USB to Serial adapter is a must on PC's with no dedicated serial ports.

The WMII logger in conjunction with modems also used a black serial adapter but is 25 pin, not 9 pin. But then you could get a little tricky and use Serial to Ethernet adapter like a Moxa NPort     

Offline Red-Dave

• Weather Geek
  • Contributor
    • AfftonWeather.com
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2021, 01:25:47 AM »
This is fun. Anybody ever seen any of these actually done in real life?
Thanks for these replies BTW.

Offline Red-Dave

• Weather Geek
  • Contributor
    • AfftonWeather.com
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2021, 09:01:07 PM »
Ok, this is odd.
Trying to work with getting VWS off my old WinXP crapper, but not ready yet to move it. While looking into backing up the old HTML files, it just quit working before my eyes. Like all my login info has vanished, for my WU and my web server. All of the directories that pointed to my page files... anything that stores data is now empty. So, I re-install thinking I got nothing to lose. But, now it won't even see my station from a fresh setup. Weatherlink will connect just fine, but VWS is a toasty critter. WHy the h3ll would it not even accept the station from a new config?
I know this is probably not the thread for this, but it started here and you guys have been pretty helpful, so I thought I would throw it out there.
I'll keep working on it, but wondered if any of you smart folks had a clue.
Thanks!

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2021, 09:23:59 PM »
I really wish I could be more helpful but I haven't used a full PC and data logger software for over a decade.  It think I switched to meteohub either back in late 2008 or early 2009. Now I use WeeWx for my personal site and meteobridge for everything else.

Offline jmello65

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2021, 07:35:11 PM »
i have a weather monitor II from 1992/93 --- just the thermometer/hum/ is working -- wind/rain has been disconnected for newer versions

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2021, 07:46:59 PM »
i have a weather monitor II from 1992/93 --- just the thermometer/hum/ is working --

Frame that, you will probably never find another working WMII temp/humidity sensor?

Offline Red-Dave

• Weather Geek
  • Contributor
    • AfftonWeather.com
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2021, 11:15:13 PM »
I've had good luck with ebay and a little patience. I have parts at the ready.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2021, 11:54:09 PM »
I had one of those with the optical link,  that is the data went across a gap on a light beam to prevent any spike hitting the computer.   I replaced the battery once.   Had it stored in the basement and then we had a flood and it went away.   Then the VP1 and VP2.    The WMII  is a beast, keeps working.  Sadly no parts I can forward, but it is really nice to hear you have a working one.