Author Topic: the FARS finally stopped  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
the FARS finally stopped
« on: December 02, 2014, 05:32:17 PM »
It is winter and of course the FARS after 2 years decides to stop. It is one of two things and possibly both. I am betting the motor wore out.  I have in the closet an additional motor and batteries, but it is too cold to bother to go out and take down the station, bring it in and replace both.  Next spring, it gets fixed up.   When I do replace the unit, both the motor and fresh batteries will be the item of the day.  A few years ago, when I got the unit, it didn't work, so I contacted Davis and while i was waiting I went out and bought two batteries, charged them up and it worked fine. In the meantime, Davis sent me a new motor unit and battery.    In any case  it is cold, winter and Iowa.  the FARS isn't needed during this time, I am now passive by design. :(

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: the FARS finally stopped
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 05:56:09 PM »
My sensors are tucked way inside, don't think I would get correct outside temperature without drawing air across. Thought I read something about that in a post also.
Randy

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 07:07:45 PM »
Davis recommends replacing the motor and batteries every two to 3 years.  I purchased the 24 hr fars from scaled instruments  in june 2013, that would be about right, just shy of 2 years. and of course there could be a chunk of ice in there as well. So.. depends on whether I want to take the station down and bring it inside or. wait until spring when it is warm, and do it outside.

The only pain in the hind quarters would be fishing the wind  sensor wire out of the ISS. I wish they made that portal a tad bigger and more slack.  However... I could hold off until April . I doubt that the FARS difference in winter would be all that much of a difference. In the hot weather, I had 1.3 degrees less than a passive sensor.   

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 09:24:52 PM »
Looking back at my records, I replaced the FARS fan and batteries at 3-1/2 years, and that was in 2009. Hmmm... maybe I should check that those are still good...

When I did so, I only removed the radiation shield from the ISS. As I recall, by removing the three long screws and left the temp/hum sensor hanging while I cleaned up the shield and replaced the batteries and fan.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 11:13:50 PM »
I have to remove the unit. it sits at 5 feet off the ground, and then also I can clean the unit properly.   I am pretty confident that the charging unit and batteries are fine, but the fan has gone south for the winter.   It is just the 3 screws and the unit drops from the rain platform.  The wind has to be removed and any wires attaching the lower unit from the iss, so the only wires remaining attached are the solar and uv.  Eh...  I can wait.

anything