Author Topic: Need help for Newbie not that computer savvy  (Read 750 times)

Offline gbcbu

Need help for Newbie not that computer savvy
« on: February 06, 2019, 08:51:15 AM »
Just signed up to this forum looking for a "Join WU" for Dummies. Want to have my PWS on WU. I have the Davis Vantage Vue. It is running. I own a Mac Book Pro. Is there a step by step document that can: Direct me to the part (WLL) that will work on my Mac OS Mojave that will not require leaving my computer on all the time; and, get me signed up to WU? Terms like platforms etc are beyond my computer skills.

I have a sprinkler system that was so much easier to download the app and have it up and running and its liked to local weather. (Rain Bird)

Did I make a mistake getting Davis as it really does appear it is not compatible with Mac Mojave.

Thanks so much for your help and patience.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Need help for Newbie not that computer savvy
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 09:02:44 AM »
Have you purchased a data logger device for your Davis? I'm referring to the device that gets plugged into the back of your Davis display console. If yes, what type is it? USB or Ethernet?

As for the Rian Bird WiFi controller, if you are within your return period get rid of it. It's terrible. I beta tested it before it came out for a full year. Rain Bird sent it to me to test and help develope it. They didn't listen to a word I said. I recommend Hunter Hydrawise or Rachio. Huge difference. The Rain Bird has zero weather intelligence compared to the competition and is unreliable.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 09:07:39 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 09:03:59 AM »
I would suggest the WiFi logger.  You may need some help from someone that can run the router in your house to get it going.  But it'll work with no PC involved.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34312.0
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 09:09:12 AM »
The WiFi logger is a good option. But I think the Meteobridge Nano is better. But before we can recommend either of these if he/she already has a USB or IP data logger then the regular Meteobridge would make more sense.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 09:11:19 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 09:22:42 AM »
The WiFi logger is a good option. But I think the Meteobridge Nano is better.

Hmm, that's potentially misleading. WFL and Nano are different products and appeal to a different user base:

WFL is cheaper and simpler, but does all that some users need, especially if their needs are relatively straightforward, eg just uploading to WU. For a topic titled 'Need help for Newbie not that computer savvy' then it may well be that WFL is the best choice.

Nano is more powerful and more fully-featured, but also needs rather more in the way of computer skills to really exploit all its capabilities.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 10:31:45 AM »
Yes I agree.

WiFi Logger - less expensive, simple setup, more basic needs.

Meteobridge Nano - more expensive and fully featured,. But it might be misleading to call it more complicated. For simple needs the setup is straight forward easy. So it would not be the best recommendation for a newbie or basic setup as you'd be paying for more than you'd use.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 10:33:49 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline gbcbu

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 11:34:03 AM »
Ok thanks I think I can let you know what I'd like to do.

I have not purchased a data logger as the Davis is not compatible with my Mac Mojave OS. Do I need to and is there any other company that has one for Mac Mojave?

I'm going to the link for a WIFI logger that 92 MERC provided.

Thanks so much. Already making some progress... :grin:

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 12:03:55 PM »
If you have not purchased a data logger yet then just buy the WiFi Logger or the Meteobridge Nano. They both just plug in to your console and do not require your Mac to work as they both have built in WIFi. You configure both of them via your computer's browser.

As for an adapter that works to plug directly into your Mac I would say forget that idea. The best solution is one that works without your Mac. But if you want to look at the data and graphs and such with your Mac then you still can do that if you want since either the WiFi Logger or Meteobridge makes the data available over your network. Then there is no Mac compatibility issue.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 12:07:53 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline gbcbu

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 08:59:46 AM »
Thanks again:
The cost difference is considerable and am comparing both the WL and the MN. Am leaning towards the WL.
This has been very helpful and I've learned a lot. Much appreciated.

Offline gbcbu

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 09:17:35 AM »
Is the Ambient Weather Nano the same thing as Meteobridge NANO? At the Ambient site for the Meteobridge the Ambient Weather Nano come up.

Offline gbcbu

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 10:29:41 AM »
Just spoke to someone at Ambient weather. If I understand correctly the Nano  has no more info than what is on my console. Is this correct or do they take the info and expand on it?

Could not get a direct answer about Meteobridge Nano. Ambient calls it "Nano".

I like being able to connect to my computer, iPad and phone and the graphics are in color etc. But more $ than the wifi.

Care to share some "tipping points".

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 02:12:17 PM »
The Meteobridge web page might help you interpret the differences. The 'Where to buy" pages give some information about the Ambient/Meteobridge products.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 02:13:21 PM »
Yes the WeatherBridge Nano is the same thing as the Meteobridge Nano, with one small difference....

If you buy the WeatherBridge Nano from Ambient then you get their special version that looks identical, runs exactly the same firmware, but has a license for AmbientWeather.net. Then you can besides uploading weather data to numerous places also send your data to AmbientWeather.net. One of the neat advantages of sending your data to AmbientWeather.net is that they've built in the API and skills for it to integrate with Amazon Echo's Alexa and Google Assistant call Google Home (Hey Google). Then you can talk to your smart home device and get all your weather data from your weather station by just talking.

The Meteobridge has been around for many years and is well supported. It has grown very capable. It is yet very easy to use.  The added features it offers over the WiFi Logger do not complicate the user interface. The Meteobridge just does a lot more.

The WiFi Logger although less than a year old is also well regarded. If they both had started at the same time its possible that they would have the same feature sets. So in a few years who knows what the WiFi Logger will be capable of...or maybe not...I think the Meteobridge has more powerful CPU and innards (I haven't really compared them in this regard but that is what I've read people say without confirming).

You should do your research. Read the long WiFi Logger thread in this forum to see what it might be like to have one of these.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34312.0

Then you can also read up in tons of places about the Meteobridge Nano. Realize that the Meteobridge comes in many forms. The Nano is the newest version that only works for Davis consoles. Then there is the original Meteobridge and the Meteobridge Pro which are external devices. The Pro has antenna and build in radio to pickup directly from Davis ISS but the regular Meteobridge needs to plug into the Davis console via USB Logger or via the Network via IP Logger. There are pros and cons of each depending on what you are trying to accomplish.
Tele-Pole