Author Topic: NOAA WEATHER RADIO  (Read 149720 times)

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
Re: NOAA WEATHER RADIO
« Reply #475 on: April 07, 2017, 10:31:09 PM »
129 streams as of 04/06/2017
Most of which are even live and working...

I am totally amazed we have 129 streams at this point. We are now above the 127 feeds listed on the WU spreadsheet. Speaking of which, we have 70 of those feeds listed among the 129.

Got the Google map updated today. My apologies for not doing it sooner. Spent the last 3 days helping install a new 6' chain link fence where our privacy fence was.

For those that do not know, we lost 16' of that privacy fence to the RFD from an upper end EF-1 tornado that passed less than 100 yards away from our home on Friday, March 24th at around 10:35 pm. Lost the fence and parts of 4 Bradford pear trees, one of which had to be cut down. No damage to the house, fortunately. Folks 300 yards to my SW, S and SE weren't so lucky. Lots of damage to several mobile homes and site-built homes. One site-built home was destroyed by a massive oak that went through it. Luckily there weren't any injuries sustained from anyone, which is incredible considering it was late Friday night and there wasn't any Tornado Warning issued. We were under a Severe Thunderstorm Warning at the time of tornado. There wasn't any way to get a Tornado Warning in time. The tornado was on the ground 4 minutes, traveled 2 miles, and was 150 yards wide.

The tornado formed out of a comma head bow echo that was moving NE at around 60 mph. Here is a link to a GR2AE BV image at the time of the tornado closest to my house (plus sign). The height of the scan is about 2400 feet above the ground.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #476 on: April 08, 2017, 05:26:17 AM »
I've got a ground loop hum with power plugged detectable on broadcast using 3.5mm plug. Its an older house built 1952 where portions are ungrounded 2 prong. For safety I've added GFI breakers in main panel. Area my electronics are at is grounded 3 wire receptacles. Anyway ordered a Ebtech hum filter for radio, I've used these on sound system subs before and it worked.
Randy

Offline tim273

• Contributor
Another Antenna Option
« Reply #477 on: April 08, 2017, 09:07:11 AM »
For anyone looking for a better antenna, the 1/4 wave ground plane is a good way to go.  There's another option if you don't want to build one of those yourself, it's referred to as a J-Pole and makes a really good receiving antenna.  I got one of from this guy (mine was a 2 meter one):  http://www.jpole-antenna.com/shop/product-category/weather-band/  They are made from copper pipe so they are very sturdy and make good receiving antennas because they have better "skin effect" (more on that here: http://www.mdarc.org/resources/technical/skin-effect).  He does a good job soldering them and checks for the right SWR.  The price isn't bad either.

If you really want to get "into the woods" about antennas, here's a good website: http://www.antenna-theory.com/

Anyway, just thought I'd give everyone another option.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 09:30:01 AM by tim273 »

Offline colonieweather

• Contributor
    • Colonie Weather Online
« Reply #478 on: April 08, 2017, 09:44:24 AM »
Hi ValentineWeather,

Was this what you purchased?
https://www.amazon.com/Ebtech-Hum-Voltage-Filter/dp/B0002E4YI8

I have a similar syle home (age and electrical-wise)

Thanks,
Chris
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
WeatherLink v6.0.5
colonieweatheronline.com
Wx Underground - KNYCOLON3
APRS/CWOP - EW0288

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #479 on: April 08, 2017, 10:30:12 AM »
Hi ValentineWeather,

Was this what you purchased?
https://www.amazon.com/Ebtech-Hum-Voltage-Filter/dp/B0002E4YI8

I have a similar syle home (age and electrical-wise)

Thanks,
Chris

Exactly what I ordered. I had one of these once before but left it in Arizona.
Randy

Offline heatcats

• Pacific Cyclone and Tsunami Central
  • heatcats
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #480 on: April 08, 2017, 11:27:34 AM »
As of 08:27 PDT, the wxradio.dyndns.org server is down on my end. My internet connection is fine, so I think it's something out of my control. My live stream feed was knocked off the air.
Kyle/heatcats

Pacific Cyclone and Tsunami Central (PCTC)
Facebook: www.facebook.com/TsunamiCycloneCentral

For heatcats...
YouTube: heatcats
Twitter: heatcats7
Facebook: heatcats7

Offline stanswx

• StansWeather.Net
« Reply #481 on: April 08, 2017, 11:36:09 AM »
As of 08:27 PDT, the wxradio.dyndns.org server is down on my end. My internet connection is fine, so I think it's something out of my control. My live stream feed was knocked off the air.
Same here. Guessing their IP might have changed and dyndns hasn't updated? Or the server is just down. Hopefully their ISP didn't disable for running a server. Looks like it went down at 10:24 central time according to my monitoring software. My other stream to Broadcastify which comes from my same streaming box is working fine.
Stan - K9SWX - Champaign, IL

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #482 on: April 08, 2017, 11:49:48 AM »
Chris may be doin' maintenance or upgrade this morning and forgot to tell us... CBS main site is ok.

Offline chappelledpc

• Senior Contributor
    • Stonybrook South
« Reply #483 on: April 08, 2017, 12:23:04 PM »
Chris may be doin' maintenance or upgrade this morning and forgot to tell us... CBS main site is ok.

Question maybe for Tim (tim273) - I'm  using Darkice to stream to Chris' server and to my own Icecast2 server.  When Chris went down,  Darkice stream to my Icecast2 server went down as well.  I had to remove the the portion of the config for Chris' server from darkice.cfg and restart Darkice to get the stream back up to my own server.  Do you have any idea why that happened? 

Doug

Offline stanswx

• StansWeather.Net
« Reply #484 on: April 08, 2017, 12:24:45 PM »
Question maybe for Tim (tim273) - I'm  using Darkice to stream to Chris' server and to my own Icecast2 server.  When Chris went down,  Darkice stream to my Icecast2 server went down as well.  I had to remove the the portion of the config for Chris' server from darkice.cfg and restart Darkice to get the stream back up to my own server.  Do you have any idea why that happened? 
Mine just did the same thing. Maybe that's just how Darkice works? Frustrating!

Offline satcop

• Senior Contributor
    • Clifton Virginia Weather
« Reply #485 on: April 08, 2017, 12:26:09 PM »

I had same issue, need something to keep other streams going if one goes down.
Clifton, Virginia Weather

Blitzortung Stations 1189, 1451 - CWOP EW1675

• Forecaster
« Reply #486 on: April 08, 2017, 12:33:54 PM »
Dunno about your darkices, but BUTT, M3W e.g. stop trying to connect after a few attempts, (whatever you've set for 'retries') and will have to be reconnected when the server comes back up,...
... haven't heard back from Chris as yet on status.  DynDns.org had some maintenance, upgrades this last few days, but report all servers normal this morning... Chris may not have reconnected???? still early on a Sat Morning in Phoenix. :twisted:

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #487 on: April 08, 2017, 12:40:05 PM »
It was running earlier today, down now with m3W also.   
Randy

Offline stanswx

• StansWeather.Net
« Reply #488 on: April 08, 2017, 03:31:06 PM »
Looks like the server came back at 2:18pm central. Added my stream back to Darkice and it's working again.

• Forecaster
« Reply #489 on: April 08, 2017, 06:43:06 PM »

131 streams as of 04/08/2017
 #-o ... back on Feb 8th I sorta projected maybe 70-75 by April 8th... wow...

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #490 on: April 08, 2017, 07:22:12 PM »

Mike, I remember some time ago when you put a message out there about trying to do this very thing.  If I recall correctly (which sometimes I don’t) there was not a lot of response.  I know I responded with interest but did not have adequate software to stream – which you in turn help me resolve.

Now look where we – you – are, this is fantastic.  Well done.  =D>

CW3699

• Forecaster
« Reply #491 on: April 08, 2017, 08:06:27 PM »

Mike, I remember some time ago when you put a message out there about trying to do this very thing.  If I recall correctly (which sometimes I don’t) there was not a lot of response.  I know I responded with interest but did not have adequate software to stream – which you in turn help me resolve.

Thanks... but this community has done this... this is a WE thing... wouldn't happen without that... all I did was instigate it...and folks started jumping behind the idea...  sacreyweather and satcop... along with behind the scenes support from saratogaWX, jmcmurry,  chappelledpc, heatcats, tim273, and others... a special kudo to codegod, for setting up that icecast server, just for this community to use... I'm not sure it could be easier...
But folk like you make it click...
...there are also many 'anonymous' streamers who've kicked in, and wish to remain so... several don't even have PWS stations or sites, but they've got Wx Radios! 
...Now, there's an example.. John S just emailed an updated coverage map with new data he's had only a few minutes... that's what makes this so darn cool...
..we've got some things to do... but right now, the important thing, the gathering of streams, is being done... all the polishing and presentations / modifications, etc will come as we can, but what a base you folks have provided!
...somewhere down the road, we'll save a life... some person trapped at an office computer with no WxRadio handy may just be able to alert their coworkers in time... never know.  If nothing else, maybe we can use the platform to help promote the radios...
NOAA thought enough of this project to authorize the use of that restricred trademark, and that speaks volumes.

So, pat yourself on the back. Once. Gently. And don't break your arm.  The community behind this is what's cool.

Everybody gets a REAL Gold Star!
...that actually means something...

...and has class...  :roll:

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #492 on: April 08, 2017, 08:54:55 PM »

Thanks... but this community has done this... this is a WE thing... wouldn't happen without that... all I did was instigate it...and folks started jumping behind the idea...  sacreyweather and satcop... along with behind the scenes support from saratogaWX, jmcmurry,  chappelledpc, heatcats, tim273, and others... a special kudo to codegod, for setting up that icecast server, just for this community to use... I'm not sure it could be easier...
But folk like you make it click...
...there are also many 'anonymous' streamers who've kicked in, and wish to remain so... several don't even have PWS stations or sites, but they've got Wx Radios! 
...Now, there's an example.. John S just emailed an updated coverage map with new data he's had only a few minutes... that's what makes this so darn cool...
..we've got some things to do... but right now, the important thing, the gathering of streams, is being done... all the polishing and presentations / modifications, etc will come as we can, but what a base you folks have provided!
...somewhere down the road, we'll save a life... some person trapped at an office computer with no WxRadio handy may just be able to alert their coworkers in time... never know.  If nothing else, maybe we can use the platform to help promote the radios...
NOAA thought enough of this project to authorize the use of that restricred trademark, and that speaks volumes.

So, pat yourself on the back. Once. Gently. And don't break your arm.  The community behind this is what's cool.

Everybody gets a REAL Gold Star!
...that actually means something...

...and has class...  :roll:

Well said, Mike.  A major Kudos to everyone involved. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

With the addition of the Pensacola, FL feed, we're up to 71 of the WU feeds. I have also been keeping this page up to date as well.  It takes a while, because the map is done one pixel at a time.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline codegod

• Software Developer
    • Crushed Box Software
« Reply #493 on: April 09, 2017, 12:34:23 AM »
I will second everything just said! I am so glad to be apart of this awesome community of weather enthusiasts! I thought this would never materialize the way it has and very proud of what WE all accomplished!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #494 on: April 09, 2017, 01:04:45 AM »
I've been contemplating doing a stream for years.  It was when this switched to a community of weather guys doing it, that gave me the final nudge.  I'm happy to have joined the team effort.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline codegod

• Software Developer
    • Crushed Box Software
« Reply #495 on: April 09, 2017, 01:31:46 AM »
FYI got in contact with Maui feed provider and the stream is back up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #496 on: April 09, 2017, 08:40:59 AM »
m3W was down again. If server goes down and you only have 3 retries (default) and server comes back up Broadcast won't auto start so I set retries to 10,000.  :grin:
Randy

• Forecaster
« Reply #497 on: April 09, 2017, 08:55:12 AM »
m3W was down again. If server goes down and you only have 3 retries (default) and server comes back up Broadcast won't auto start so I set retries to 10,000.  :grin:
Now THERE's a guy gonna make SURE!

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #498 on: April 09, 2017, 09:04:55 AM »

Just did something similar.  :-) The manual does not explain that section. I set my "delay" to 900 thinking that if that's in seconds and it means how long to wait to try again, it should try every 15 minutes. But again, not sure how that works.
Bill

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #499 on: April 09, 2017, 09:13:53 AM »
Good idea, Randy!  My feed was dead when I got up this morning, so I've followed your example.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

anything