Author Topic: NOAA WEATHER RADIO  (Read 149772 times)

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Re: NOAA WEATHER RADIO
« Reply #200 on: February 28, 2017, 11:35:03 PM »
Hi all,

Wes from weatherUSA, here. .... kind of embarrassed that I've never created an account on WXForum until now, ha.

Well it's about time you joined us here neighbor!   :lol:  Welcome to the forum Wes!   :grin:
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #201 on: February 28, 2017, 11:42:55 PM »
This thread began about and is concerned with
NoaaWeatherRadio

This link, http://noaaweatherradio.org/howto.html
will tell you exactly the paradigms the site is currently operating with,
especially as it might relate to third party stream hosts.
We already have one established, and do not intend to deal with another.

Other discussions and proposals have nothing to do with what
this thread was originally established to discuss.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #202 on: March 01, 2017, 09:05:37 AM »
Hey Tim, do you know if anyone has attempted to use that USB adapter on a Windows machine?  Since I have existing Windows equipment I could use and not have to buy a PI, that USB adapter would be cheaper to implement than buying a Midland radio.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #203 on: March 01, 2017, 09:28:45 AM »
For SNG, I contacted AIW Industries about that HAT board for the PI.  Basically asking them if the tuner they sell could be used for streaming.  This was their response:

Dale,
Yes, you can use this board to stream audio either directly from an icecast server on a Raspberry Pi or via an external server such as weather underground had set up. You'll need to run the audio out the 3.5mm jack to a USB audio dongle or similar to digitize the audio for streaming.

If you run the server off of your own device you would need to port forward the server access port in order to access the stream external to your own network.

That's the benefit of using an external icecast host and using darkice on your end to send the feed to the external server. It could then be accessed by anyone with the address.

Richard Vogel
AIW Industries

So from what I'm reading, you'd still have to buy another USB audio device to perform the capture.  The SDR Tim posted earlier looks like a cheaper solution.
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline mikev

« Reply #204 on: March 01, 2017, 10:00:53 AM »
Hey Tim, do you know if anyone has attempted to use that USB adapter on a Windows machine?  Since I have existing Windows equipment I could use and not have to buy a PI, that USB adapter would be cheaper to implement than buying a Midland radio.

Send me a PM... I'm using an RTL2832U-based software radio on a Windows laptop to provide my stream (Manassas alternate). Rather than clutter this thread up with discussion of getting a system set up (though maybe a topic in the Weather Radios forum might be good?), we can take it to PMs.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #205 on: March 01, 2017, 10:35:51 AM »
It would be great for tim273 and mikev to start separate topics with the detailed instructions to configure and use a SDR with a Raspberry Pi/icecast2/darkice and on a Windows system.  I know that there are instructions sprinkled in this thread, but it would be really helpful to start new threads with just those instructions in them so others can get their NOAA Weather Radio stream up and running.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #206 on: March 01, 2017, 10:36:54 AM »
It would be great for tim273 and mikev to start separate topics with the detailed instructions to configure and use a SDR with a Raspberry Pi/icecast2/darkice and on a Windows system.  I know that there are instructions sprinkled in this thread, but it would be really helpful to start new threads with just those instructions in them so others can get their NOAA Weather Radio stream up and running.

Best regards,
Ken

Yeah, there is a Raspberry Pi thread that I'll do that on.  I'm planning on starting from scratch with a Raspberry Pi so I can document all the steps.  Hopefully this weekend.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:47:39 AM by tim273 »

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #207 on: March 01, 2017, 10:39:47 AM »

Best regards,
Ken

+1
Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #208 on: March 01, 2017, 11:24:59 AM »
I PM'd Mike on it.  I'm totally willing to make up a Windows manual.  I just need to find out what to do on the SDR side.  It looks like Altcast was a newer version of Edcast.  So that would be my preference on what software to use.

Offline 44085weather

• 44085weather.com
« Reply #209 on: March 01, 2017, 05:31:10 PM »

Can you tell me how to set this up to stream to you?

Offline satcop

• Senior Contributor
    • Clifton Virginia Weather
« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2017, 07:01:44 PM »

Change Server IP to: wxradio.dyndns.org
    Use Encoder Password: WxRadio2014

in addition.
In stream name give a name for the stream, such as NOAA Radio Cleveland KHB59 162.55 MHz

The port is 8000
The Mount should be descriptive it is also the end of the url that gets attached to, something like Cleveland.mp3 or 44085/Cleveland.mp3

Other than that you should be ok.

Bob

Oh and if you have a website you can put that in the Website URL

One other thing I see that you have it set for stereo, unless you are feeding both channels you may want to set it for mono, stereo can mess things up, found that one out myself.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 07:07:37 PM by satcop »
Clifton, Virginia Weather

Blitzortung Stations 1189, 1451 - CWOP EW1675

Offline 44085weather

• 44085weather.com
« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2017, 07:54:32 PM »

Still a no go. Any other ideas?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 07:56:26 PM by 44085weather »

Offline satcop

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #212 on: March 01, 2017, 07:58:46 PM »
try taking that / out of your mountpoint name. and give it a name other than stream, just a thought.

Never mind it came up another way a second ago but it appears you changed it.  Will look closer.

Only thing I can see at the moment is to double check your password, it is case sensitive.

Just thought of this, your firewall is blocking you is it?  You need to be able to connect to port 8000 outside.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 08:03:25 PM by satcop »

Offline 44085weather

• 44085weather.com
« Reply #213 on: March 01, 2017, 08:09:56 PM »
Only thing I can see at the moment is to double check your password, it is case sensitive.

Password is WxRadio2014

Just thought of this, your firewall is blocking you is it?  You need to be able to connect to port 8000 outside.

I can go to wxradio.dyndns.org:8000 in my browser.

Offline satcop

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2017, 08:16:28 PM »
Firewall software is usually application specific.  You should go into whatever  firewall software you are using and check and see what it is letting you do.  Things default to port 80 which is the standard port, I had the issue with broadwave, it wouldn't work on port 88 until I told the firewall application that it was ok for broadwave to function on another port.  Your browser gets much more leeway with the firewall applications.

Offline 44085weather

• 44085weather.com
« Reply #215 on: March 01, 2017, 08:20:24 PM »
I turned off windows firewall and allowed port 8000 out through my router. Not sure what else to try. I can connect to broadcastify with no issues. I just cannot get connected to wxradio.dyndns.org
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 08:26:30 PM by 44085weather »

• Forecaster
« Reply #216 on: March 01, 2017, 10:44:21 PM »
I turned off windows firewall and allowed port 8000 out through my router. Not sure what else to try. I can connect to broadcastify with no issues. I just cannot get connected to wxradio.dyndns.org

there's no issue on the server end... we just a few moments ago added one successfully...
Start over...maybe...

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #217 on: March 01, 2017, 11:10:38 PM »
Maybe it's time to pick a different streaming uploader .. edcast is what I use, but it's not 'in print' any more.  Altacast seems to be it's replacement (just as edcast replaced oddcast).
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

• Forecaster
« Reply #218 on: March 02, 2017, 12:28:14 AM »
Maybe it's time to pick a different streaming uploader .. edcast is what I use, but it's not 'in print' any more.  Altacast seems to be it's replacement (just as edcast replaced oddcast).
I Agree.  I cannot get good action on any of the edcast clones.  However, about an hour ago I installed a fantastic free application... It's a lot of overkill for our purposes, but I'm impressed all to HADES and back, with extra change for Charon... and three treats for Cerebus...

If this seems to be operable for most of us, I will post files and links on the radio site... I don't want to distract folks at this point, so let me check it some more....

It may not always be active while testing, but go to http://noaaweatherradio.org
in the station player, scroll to last track :  "TEST from ADMIN"

Mike

It's possible that our youg person above isn't entering the Login correctly. Currently that is the 'default' Icecast Id, with the password he mentioned above. I won't list the 'login' id here... see Icecast docs.  He also may need to port forward 8000 in his router. ... not just 'enable' it.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #219 on: March 02, 2017, 09:12:49 AM »
This software was recommended by MikeV.  This is what he's using to encode his stream.

https://danielnoethen.de/

Broadcast using this tool  (BUTT)

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #220 on: March 02, 2017, 11:13:12 AM »

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #221 on: March 02, 2017, 08:44:16 PM »
Ok here it is, the Raspberry Pi guide.  If anyone tries it out, let me know if you have any problems and I can update it if need be.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=31582

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #222 on: March 02, 2017, 09:28:14 PM »
Thanks!  I'll give it a try tomorrow (new RPi3+SDR just arrived tonight).

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #223 on: March 03, 2017, 06:29:32 AM »
Hi Folks,

Have a new page up using Google Maps and copy of Bob's(satcop) scripts.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline 44085weather

• 44085weather.com
« Reply #224 on: March 03, 2017, 07:30:28 AM »

there's no issue on the server end... we just a few moments ago added one successfully...
Start over...maybe...

There was connectivity issues in our area due to the storms, now internet is completely down at the house, this may have been why I couldn't connect. As soon as internet is restored, I'll try again and should be good to go. Thank you all for the help.

anything