Author Topic: Davis Upload/Download issues 1/1/2020  (Read 5731 times)

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: Davis Upload/Download issues 1/1/2020
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2020, 02:51:33 PM »
Ha Ha! It reminds me of the Y2K mess in the late 90's where we were hiring every programmer who still had a warm body to fix those billions of lines of COBOL code.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt once already.  Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline ephyra

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2020, 05:38:27 AM »
I had exactly the same problem a bit after midnight on 1/1/2020. It got worse the next few days and I could not download data at all.
After trying everything, I realized that resetting the Archive Interval and clearing the memory of the data logger solved the problem and now
the data loss has been minimized. Is there any prospect for Davis releasing a new WeatherLinkIP Data Logger Firmware in the near future?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2020, 05:47:17 AM »
Is there any prospect for Davis releasing a new WeatherLinkIP Data Logger Firmware in the near future?

Yes. And it sounds to be imminent - eg possibly in the next few days - but it will depend on how well updating & testing new firmware works out, eg if there's any residual issue then it may be delayed. There was no update Monday.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2020, 05:49:25 AM »
....the data loss has been minimized....

Defined what you mean by minimized

Offline ephyra

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2020, 09:27:35 AM »
Before I reset the archive internal, every few hours the ISS Reception was dropping to 30 or even 10% . I might be wrong but I got the impression that the data logger was trying desperately to get in contact and upload data without success resulting in the console freezing for a couple of seconds up to a couple of minutes. This behavior started a few hours after the change of year. After clearing the memory the problem was minimized. Meaning that the ISS Reception drops to 98 or 96% every few hours. So the problem is not solved but the data loss has been minimized. Has anyone else noticed similar behavior?

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2020, 07:11:22 PM »
This has gotten ridiculous... No communication  from Davis? Any updates?
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline SlothRocket

• Weather Underground
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2020, 07:56:36 PM »
I havent had any problems for weeks. Just now I noticed no upload in over 2 hours on all my listings. The console is updating fine.
Davis Pro2 Plus
MeteoBridge
FW6600
KFLNEWPO156
Windy F0690740

Offline nhirsch

• Juno Ocean Key Professional
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2020, 10:02:12 PM »
haven't downloaded pages in awhile from my WeatherlinkIP.  Today had 513 (100%) pages to download and it kept failing.   moved all the wlt files and the data files and finally got what there is of this month, Jan 2020, plus Dec 2019 and only 1/2 of November.  So I figure the pages memory is 513 and that's about 1 3/4 months.  Anyhow, tried to get the rest of the data in November from the Weatherlink.com website and for some reason it's missing the second week although it does have the first week but the only way I could grab the month off the Weatherlink website is in increments of 30 minutes I believe it was.   I would like to simply get the data in the month format similar to the way (day by day) it does the NOAA monthly report in Weatherlink.  I see there is a monthly summary in landscape mode but not in same format as weatherlink software.  Any way to grab the data off the weatherlink.com so that it is formatted in the same format as what I get from weatherlink software 6.05?

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2020, 11:11:56 PM »
The problem appears very random...Checking thru saved stations on the app, last update times for the graphs is all over the place from current to way behind....my last update was about 18 hours ago.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2020, 11:37:21 PM »
Some sites are working a little better than other sites but none are totally up to date with a couple totally hopeless since 0:50 1/1/2020.

There is nothing to indicate anything is related to ISS RF reception

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2020, 03:30:40 AM »
A fix in the form of new WLIP firmware is expected later today (California time), subject to progress with final testing.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2020, 04:28:18 AM »
A fix in the form of new WLIP firmware is expected later today (California time), subject to progress with final testing.

Lets hope they make this version installable remotely

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2020, 06:31:44 AM »
Looks like another example here:

> Subject: The Ghost of Y2K hits Hamburg (Hamburger Abendblatt)
>
> The city of Hamburg in Germany has 120 new DT5 trains - and 95 of
> them still won't work after the new decade has blown in. As soon as a
> train reaches the end of the line and has to reverse its direction (and
> the train driver must turn it off and walk to the other end to drive it
> back), it won't turn on again. At all.
>
> The Hamburger Abendblatt reports in that an informer told them that this is
> attributable to a date problem, with the year flipping from 19 to 20.
>
> https://www.abendblatt.de/hamburg/article228038743/U-Bahn-Hamburg-DT5-ausgefallen-Hochbahn-Software-Fehler-Verkehr-Verspaetung-Stoerung.html
>
> All the trains stopped dead in their tracks, so to say. They have
> managed to fix the software on 25 of them, but so many are missing
> they are having to run short trains in the hopes of even keeping
> up with the schedule.
>
> A bit later in the article an update is mentioned as being at fault, the
> rest of the article is politicians blathering on.
>
> Their troubles don't stop there: a passenger purchased a ticket on 1 Jan
> 2020 that is not valid until 1.1.2040. Picture included.

Sorry, I can't read the original link so can't say if this is an accurate summary, but all sounds plausible.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 06:36:24 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline twcmaster

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2020, 06:14:07 PM »

Just Received This via e-mail from Davis:

CRITICAL UPDATE: Important firmware update for WeatherLinkIP
Who needs this update?
Everyone using a WeatherLinkIP datalogger (p/n 6555) with their Davis weather station.
Details:
Your WeatherLinkIP datalogger has a critical bug that will prevent it from keeping its time properly synched with Davis servers and cause it to stop uploading historical archive records. You may have noticed that when downloading archive records into your PC software or looking at archive records on weatherlink.com that they are not entirely up to date. This firmware patch will fix that and ensure your weather station clock stays accurate and in synch.
Installation instructions:
•   Download the "WLIP_Updater_155.exe" firmware update from HERE.
•   Run WLIP_Updater_155.exe.
•   Click Find until your IP dataloggers DID is displayed.

•   Click <Start> and wait for it to completely update the firmware in your WeatherLinkIP datalogger.
•   Once the firmware is complete you should stop and wait for your archive records to catchup and be completely up to date. This may take up to 60 minutes.
If you have any problems, please contact
Davis Instruments Technical Support
M-F 7:00a to 5:30p Pacific time
510-732-7814 support@davisinstruments.com

Davis Instruments Inc., 3465 Diablo Ave, Hayward, CA 94545

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2020, 06:28:57 PM »
No email notification received as yet, haven't had any response either from when I first notified them of the issue on the morning of the 1/1/2020

Offline ed2kayak

• Ed
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro2 w/12 hr FARS, solar/uv
    • Cumberland Valley Weather
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2020, 07:32:59 PM »
Got email.
Went to weatherlink.com website.
Info about update required, across top on my site.
Downloaded WLIP_Updater_115
Ran update per instructions, every appears to be working normally.
dedicated  Win10 pc
Ed
CoCoRaHS PA-CD-6,  Weather Underground KPAMECHA7, CWOP DW5425

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2020, 08:09:44 PM »
For anybody with multiple loggers on the same network the update could FIND the first in the MAC address sequence list but then would not find any further so need to unplug the other loggers.

Interested to hear from anybody who will be or who has run the update remotely through a router & DNS.   

Offline twcmaster

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2020, 09:48:48 PM »
For anybody with multiple loggers on the same network the update could FIND the first in the MAC address sequence list but then would not find any further so need to unplug the other loggers.

Interested to hear from anybody who will be or who has run the update remotely through a router & DNS.   

I updated mine at a remote property via a remote desktop connection with an always-on PC on the local network at that property.

I understand that is not what you are asking, but I wanted to mention that it did not need to reboot anything like it does when you update console firmware. I have gotten burned in the past updating consoles remotely and then they don't reboot like they are supposed to and have gone months without a working station until I could physically get there.

Offline sward6368

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2020, 08:31:28 AM »
Received email notification yesterday evening.  Like others noted only currently supported on Windows (short of running a windows emulator on a mac) - as all my home computers are Macs will have to wait till tonight and try using my work laptop which is Windows.
Wish Davis would release a Mac based executable to perform the firmware update.

Glad to hear others haven't had an issue with the update.

Offline casacota

• Observatori de Sant Martí de Canals
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2020, 04:42:06 PM »
The update has an inconvenient. With the old firmware I could run the stations in UTC/GMT. After the update they change spontaneously to Local Time. Since the stations I have are running in a professional environment, all Davis IP are now incompatible and useless. Trying to reinstall firmware V 109.

Note: Weatherlink V1.0 was much better in many details, one was the ability to specify the Time Zone. Davis quo vadis?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2020, 05:30:41 PM »
The update has an inconvenient. With the old firmware I could run the stations in UTC/GMT. After the update they change spontaneously to Local Time. Since the stations I have are running in a professional environment, all Davis IP are now incompatible and useless. Trying to reinstall firmware V 109.

Note: Weatherlink V1.0 was much better in many details, one was the ability to specify the Time Zone. Davis quo vadis?

WeatherLink 1.0 or 2.0 I don't believe has any bearing on this current WLIP issue, but lots have been said of the change from 1.0 to 2.0

Firmware V 1.09 is now over 10 years old and really not sure if going back to 1.09 would do much good in light of the current issue. At a local level there's no issue with whatever time you want to run but WL2.0 is a way different thing now and not necessarily for the better with the time controlled by the station position

Offline stu-in-flag

• Contributor
    • stu-in-flag
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2020, 07:33:12 AM »
Does not run on a Mac.  I also sent note to Davis support to see when they will be releasing a Mac version if they do.

Here is the response I received from Davis about Mac support:

I am sorry to hear you are having troubles. Unfortunately, we only have a firmware updater available for Windows PCs. 
If you need to update your IP firmware and you do not use a Windows based machine you can do any one of the following.

• Find a Windows PC on the same network your WeatherLinkIP is connected to and update from that PC.
  • Bring a Windows PC laptop into your network and update from that PC.
  • Use Parallels or Bootcamp on your Mac to run Windows and the WeatherLinkIP updater program.
  • Take the console and WeatherLinkIP datalogger to another network and use a Windows PC at that site.
  • Send your WeatherLinkIP datalogger to our service center for us to update the firmware.

You will only need to send us the datalogger itself, you can hold on to your console.  Call and get an RMA and instructions from us at (510) 732-7814 | M-F 7:00am to 5:30pm pacific time

I realize these options are not ideal and if nothing else is possible at your end we are happy to update the firmware here in our service department.

Offline casacota

• Observatori de Sant Martí de Canals
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2020, 07:46:55 AM »
At a local level there's no issue with whatever time you want to run
Tha'ts the problem. With that new firmware you are tied by the time the server thinks it should be. If you change this, it reverts to the time zone the server assign tou you, and in some cases this is wrong.

Offline bahuga

• Meteo-Sciez
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2020, 03:10:59 PM »
Tha'ts the problem. With that new firmware you are tied by the time the server thinks it should be. If you change this, it reverts to the time zone the server assign tou you, and in some cases this is wrong.
In summary : we pay for a weather station, we pay for a datalogger, we pay to have access to our own data on weatherlink.com, but the bugs are free!  And now we have even not the choice to change the time zone of our console ... Thanks Davis
Davis Vantage Pro 2
http://meteo-sciez.fr

anything