Author Topic: Station Name; Station/Website Humidity Value  (Read 888 times)

Offline Haselmaier

Station Name; Station/Website Humidity Value
« on: November 05, 2023, 12:27:42 PM »
New station owner here (Ambient 2902).  It's hooked up to WU (mostly) just fine. 

I have a couple of (unrelated) specific questions:

[I found posts on this that are a few years old - maybe nothing has changed.]  In my Devices (where it shows the Station ID and upload key) I have the Station Name as I want it.  It's a name that my neighbors would easily recognize.  Yet when I choose my station from the map view on the website the station name is my city.  The Station ID (KCOXXXXX###) is correct....but I want to have the Station Name be what I've entered.  When I SEARCH on the Station ID (don't get to the station's page via map view) the correct Station Name is displayed.  Any clue as to why this is the case?

Humidity is one datapoint where what WU reports for the station is different than what I read directly from the station.  Does WU do some sort of aggregation or consolidation of readings from multiple nearby stations?  It's not a big deal to me - I just want to understand why that value in particular doesn't match what I'm getting from the hardware.

Thanks.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: Station Name; Station/Website Humidity Value
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 01:36:52 PM »
New station owner here (Ambient 2902).  It's hooked up to WU (mostly) just fine. 

I have a couple of (unrelated) specific questions:

[I found posts on this that are a few years old - maybe nothing has changed.]  In my Devices (where it shows the Station ID and upload key) I have the Station Name as I want it.  It's a name that my neighbors would easily recognize.  Yet when I choose my station from the map view on the website the station name is my city.  The Station ID (KCOXXXXX###) is correct....but I want to have the Station Name be what I've entered.  When I SEARCH on the Station ID (don't get to the station's page via map view) the correct Station Name is displayed.  Any clue as to why this is the case?

Humidity is one datapoint where what WU reports for the station is different than what I read directly from the station.  Does WU do some sort of aggregation or consolidation of readings from multiple nearby stations?  It's not a big deal to me - I just want to understand why that value in particular doesn't match what I'm getting from the hardware.

Thanks.

1. You can’t change your station name to be something other than how WU tags it as. You just have to tell your neighbors what your station is.

2. AFAIK WU takes whatever information you are sending them and posts that. They do not aggregate or manipulate your data. I am not familiar with your hardware/software but something is off. It sounds like you have made a calibration adjustment that has been reflected in your uploads but not on your console.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Haselmaier

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2023, 01:46:25 PM »
What I'm not understanding is that there are multiple nearby stations that have distinct and descriptive names.    (e.g. "Blue Hill HOA"). And even though I've put a name I want as the station name in the device information WU displays it on the map with my city's name. 

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2023, 01:58:20 PM »
What I'm not understanding is that there are multiple nearby stations that have distinct and descriptive names.    (e.g. "Blue Hill HOA"). And even though I've put a name I want as the station name in the device information WU displays it on the map with my city's name.

I upload to WU my 3 stations. I have descriptive names for each but they also must include the WU naming convention. Maybe your descriptive name conflicts with your WU tag and WU doesn’t allow that—maybe. Try again. Log into your WU account,member settings,my devices, manage devices, edit and make changes then hit save. Should work. If not, maybe WU has to approve changes to your station name to ensure it meets their “naming standards,” whatever they are.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 09:24:49 AM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline joegr

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 03:21:57 PM »

How old are those stations?  WU used to let you name them whatever you wanted to.  That was the case when I added mine.  They never forced me to change it when they changed how new stations are named.