Author Topic: Meteotemplate - new free website template  (Read 631480 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Meteotemplate - new free website template
« Reply #7375 on: July 08, 2017, 07:48:03 AM »
Hi Jachym,
just a question about gfs Block.
Is it possible to choice which type of data or chart shows on block?
Because actually block show mandatory temperatures meteogram.
Thanks to advance,

Alessandro

Inviato dal mio SM-T535 utilizzando Tapatalk
Hi Jachym,
is it possible?
Regards,

Alessandro

Hi Alessandro,
I am not sure what you mean because the block shows not just temperature, but all the other variables as well:
http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/indexBlockDemoWide.php?block=gfs

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Meteotemplate 15.0 Black Currant
« Reply #7376 on: July 08, 2017, 09:41:20 AM »

New version is available with several features many of you asked for and a brand new update mechanism, which will update your template in a matter of milliseconds.

http://meteotemplate.com/blog/?p=2969

Offline nitrx

• Senior Contributor
    • Apeldoorn-Oost The Netherlands
« Reply #7377 on: July 08, 2017, 10:40:28 AM »
Great  =D>  updated before blinking my eyes Thanks Jachym!
Ron
Cumulus software
Apeldoorn NL
http://www.apeldoornmeteo.nl

several languages

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7378 on: July 08, 2017, 10:48:12 AM »
Thanks Ron, I think we found a solution to the dilema of frequent updates with new features vs. too much time spent with updating the template :)

Offline nitrx

• Senior Contributor
    • Apeldoorn-Oost The Netherlands
« Reply #7379 on: July 08, 2017, 10:51:32 AM »
Lol well the updates were mostly easy after good resding but this method beats all  :grin:
Ron
Cumulus software
Apeldoorn NL
http://www.apeldoornmeteo.nl

several languages

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
    • Long Island New York Weather
« Reply #7380 on: July 08, 2017, 12:03:40 PM »
It is actually a very strange approach because if everyone applied that logic, then there would be no internet, there would be no search engines etc. Why? Because what you are basically suggesting is that any external link is basically bad or undesirable. I guess your "internet" would then be called "intronet" :D Everyone uses external links.

I agree.  In fact good SEO includes links, back links, etc...

Offline mldenison

• Contributor
    • York, PA Weather
« Reply #7381 on: July 08, 2017, 12:15:34 PM »
Nice job, Jachym.  I wish all products were that easy and slick to update!
Windows 7 x64
Weather PC: Intel NUC
Davis Vantage Pro 2
Weather Underground: KPAYORK30
York, PA Weather (Saratoga)
York, PA Weather (Leuven)
York, PA PWS Station

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7382 on: July 08, 2017, 12:33:08 PM »
Thanks, in terms of MT block/plugin/template updates, this is probably as easy as it can get, this template update process was the last thing that really took some time and could potentially cause errors when not done correctly.

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #7383 on: July 08, 2017, 12:57:49 PM »
It is actually a very strange approach because if everyone applied that logic, then there would be no internet, there would be no search engines etc. Why? Because what you are basically suggesting is that any external link is basically bad or undesirable. I guess your "internet" would then be called "intronet" :D Everyone uses external links.

Yes, to a certain extent, but ever since Google rolled out its Penguin algorithm, the whole landscape of backlinking has changed

Me not wanting to link to competitor sites is not going to break the internet, its my preference, not the preference of billions
Me wanting to have the actual content on my site opposed to sending visitors to other sites to get it makes a lot more sense
It means more visitors, it means staying longer, it means giving the visitors the information that they need, there and then.
It also means repeat visitors, if then had to leave on a link to another site, it means i did not have what they needed, the other
site did, why would they come back to me if that other site has what they needed?

Thats the way i have always looked at it, getting the visitors, and keeping them, i used to own a large forum 38k+ members
38k because i knew what i was doing, it was called Bashys Place, i must have been doing something right :)
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7384 on: July 08, 2017, 01:29:28 PM »
Hmm... Metoffice as your main competitor? I see you aim quite high...

Well maybe given how successful you are at all this you could create a template for us all as well and Im sure it would be the best template ever.

P.S. The way things work in science and in general on the internet, is that you share knowledge and try not to duplicate things, thats just my 2 cents

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7385 on: July 08, 2017, 01:31:32 PM »
One more crucial issue - that information actually comes from your competitor, and so you cannot really call it a competitor, it is simply a source which you want to duplicate on your site and in this particular case, scraping metoffice is forbidden, they have an RSS feed which I used and they do not include all the info - probably to attract people to their site, which makes sense to me and I made the block accordingly.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #7386 on: July 08, 2017, 01:40:02 PM »
Never once said main competitor, but in a sense they are I suppose.
The data is available because Wim has sourced it for the Leuven template

Owning and running a forum is totally different to coding a template,  your analogy is inappropriate.

You evidently have some issues with me so how about we leave it there and I shall walk away, thanK you for letting me try the template.
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7387 on: July 08, 2017, 01:48:16 PM »
Wim sourced it from Meteoalarm, which gets data from Metoffice...

You know I sort of expected you to say this, but it is your decision. If you want to use MT, feel free to do so, if not, then thats totally fine with me too. Do whatever you want to do. I dont have any issues with you, I just reply to what you say.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 01:50:32 PM by Jáchym »

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #7388 on: July 08, 2017, 01:52:36 PM »
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/guide/weather/rss

Link to content pages
The RSS service may be used only with those platforms from which a functional link is made available that, when accessed, takes the viewer directly to the display of the full article on the Met Office Site. You may not display the RSS Content in a manner that does not permit successful linking to, redirection to or delivery of the applicable Met Office Site web page. You may not insert any intermediate page, splash page or other content between the RSS link and the applicable Met office Site web page.

so basically where ever the rss data is being used ! above quite clearly quotes if you take take the time you will find more reference on the guidance of using their data. seems quite bad that you want to use there data portray it as yours but yet offer nothing in return not even a simple reciprocal gesture ... think your attitude sux quite frankly .. as he says above design your own stuff give us something to drool over and tear apart  .. we can only judge you based on your writings ..

just my 2 pence worth ... brian

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7389 on: July 08, 2017, 01:55:37 PM »
Thanks Brian....

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #7390 on: July 08, 2017, 02:17:27 PM »

Link to content pages
The RSS service may be used only with those platforms from which a functional link is made available that, when accessed, takes the viewer directly to the display of the full article on the Met Office Site. You may not display the RSS Content in a manner that does not permit successful linking to, redirection to or delivery of the applicable Met Office Site web page. You may not insert any intermediate page, splash page or other content between the RSS link and the applicable Met office Site web page.

so basically where ever the rss data is being used ! above quite clearly quotes if you take take the time you will find more reference on the guidance of using their data. seems quite bad that you want to use there data portray it as yours but yet offer nothing in return not even a simple reciprocal gesture ... think your attitude sux quite frankly .. as he says above design your own stuff give us something to drool over and tear apart  .. we can only judge you based on your writings ..

Woah, easy tiger, this has now been taken way out of context, I have always acknowledged when using others data, never said anything to the contrary.
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #7391 on: July 08, 2017, 02:18:26 PM »
And for what's its worth, nothing, and I repeat,  nothing has been torn apart
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline kocher

• San Sebastian (Spain)
« Reply #7392 on: July 08, 2017, 02:19:49 PM »
Updated to the new version without any problem.

The speed of the update is incredible.  :roll:

Many thanks Jachym
Windows 7 Pr
Davis Vantage Pro Plus f.a.
WeatherLink 6.0.2
CumulusMX
GraphWeather Version 3.0.15

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #7393 on: July 08, 2017, 02:23:26 PM »
I only asked if instead of having to link to the met office can the more button actually show the extra information, this whole thing has been blown up way out of proportion, quite disgusted by it to be honest, Jáchym said no, I respected that bit it's just gone on and on, this is deffo the last I am saying on it for sure, carry on ya witch hunt if you like, I'm Finshed, I have Spiderman Home coming to watch :)
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
« Reply #7394 on: July 08, 2017, 02:45:44 PM »

Yes, to a certain extent, but ever since Google rolled out its Penguin algorithm, the whole landscape of backlinking has changed

Me not wanting to link to competitor sites is not going to break the internet, its my preference, not the preference of billions
Me wanting to have the actual content on my site opposed to sending visitors to other sites to get it makes a lot more sense
It means more visitors, it means staying longer, it means giving the visitors the information that they need, there and then.
It also means repeat visitors, if then had to leave on a link to another site, it means i did not have what they needed, the other
site did, why would they come back to me if that other site has what they needed?

Thats the way i have always looked at it, getting the visitors, and keeping them, i used to own a large forum 38k+ members
38k because i knew what i was doing, it was called Bashys Place, i must have been doing something right :)

Hmmm.  I’d like to know your page hit volume and bounce rate.  Maybe you should share your “secret sauce” with those outside your competitive region :)

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
« Reply #7395 on: July 08, 2017, 02:50:08 PM »

Link to content pages

Exactly why when websites are made, one mit be very careful.  I know of someone that had a website - and not some little nothing, but a rather large website and they did get caught with having “copywrited” information on it - they were forced to take it down when presented with a cease and desist and had to rework it so it was a link to the other users website.

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #7396 on: July 08, 2017, 03:18:06 PM »
bashy

get a grip will you ?  if you make a comment "The last thing a site owner should want is to send their visitors to another site" then can i not just say this sux ? i wouldn't call it a witch hunt i just find it somewhat false ...fair enough if the original content is yours and its something you put together and generate then one would expect you to try and keep the data within .but when it comes to scraping lets say I decided to use something from your website perhaps scraping your clientraw and deem it as mine and fail to acknowledge ! your gonna get the hump ? in fact you would become the man of Notre Dam or resemble a camel ! .

don't see everything as being detrimental sometimes we just quote the obvious and have to spell it out..

remember there is no body language or tone of voice in my writings so you see it somewhat different perhaps very different ..

brian

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #7397 on: July 08, 2017, 03:32:32 PM »
I have updated to v.15 without any issues and all seems to be working.  Blocks and plugins all up to date.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7398 on: July 08, 2017, 04:19:04 PM »
Great to see it is all working as intended   :grin:

Offline gillesroszak

• Contributor
  • Qui trop écoute la météo, passe sa vie au bistrot.
    • meteokerbach
« Reply #7399 on: July 09, 2017, 05:05:19 AM »
Update without problems and very fast Thanks to Jachym  :-P :-P :-P

anything