Author Topic: Meteotemplate - new free website template  (Read 631466 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Meteotemplate - New plugin - Climate US
« Reply #1750 on: March 01, 2016, 10:31:10 AM »
Hi guys,

a new plugin is now available. In the current template there is also a page about climate. As I explained earlier, because I made this database all by myself from tens of different sources and because it is global, the number of stations available is limited.

Now there is a new plugin available, this time specifically for the United States. It includes three different pages and has data for any NOAA station in the U.S.

It includes climate normals and parameters such as avg, max, min temperature, precipitation, snowfall, heating/cooling degree days etc. The information is provided using interactive graphs, sortable tables and there is also a map.

I used the plain text files provided by NOAA and visualized them in a slightly more understandable way. But because I always try to have some added value, I created two additional pages.

In addition to the page with detailed analysis of a single station, there is also a page that compares two stations side by side. You can immediately see the differences on the graphs and in the tables, the actual value of the difference is also calculated.

Then, the last page is also quite interesting. It is basically the same page as the comparison page, but this time, you only choose one station and it will compare it to your own station, using data from your MySQL database.

As always, the plugin adjusts the units, colors and all the other settings based on your config.php.

Hope you enjoy it, installation cannot be simpler (just set default station)

Install instructions/download: http://www.meteotemplate.com/web/plugins/climateUS.php

DEMO: http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/plugins/climateUS/index.php

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Meteotemplate - new free website template
« Reply #1751 on: March 01, 2016, 11:13:14 AM »
Thanks Jachym,
I have it added and it is interesting to compare my station to Port Huron, MI just 50 miles to the west http://www.komokaweather.com/j-template/plugins/climateUS/comparisonStation.php?id=USC00206680

I guess some of the differences are because of our locations related to Lake Huron.

Enjoying,
Paul

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #1752 on: March 01, 2016, 11:44:19 AM »
Congratulations on the 100 users Jachym!

Thank you for the updated 'current' block - perhaps other WS-1001 users will be able to take advantage of this at some point. :)

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #1753 on: March 01, 2016, 12:38:47 PM »
I guess, though Im not sure if anyone else uses the WS1001 in combination with the script you use.

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
Re: Meteotemplate
« Reply #1754 on: March 01, 2016, 10:01:55 PM »
I guess this doesn’t need much comments, just wanted to say big thank you to everyone who supports me and for all the help and great feedback you gave me. Since there were so many people I have been in contact with in the past few months, I decided not to mention anyone in particular. I would never even in my wildest dream imagine this will grow so big, I expected maybe 2 or 3 people giving it a try just for fun...

Thanks!!!
None of this would be possible if I did not enjoy doing this and I enjoy it because I see it actually makes sense and people find it useful!

Jachym

Thank you Jachym for creating Meteotemplate!
It has come a long way and all your hard work is appreciated.

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
Re: Meteotemplate - New plugin - Climate US
« Reply #1755 on: March 01, 2016, 10:06:47 PM »
Hi guys,

a new plugin is now available. In the current template there is also a page about climate. As I explained earlier, because I made this database all by myself from tens of different sources and because it is global, the number of stations available is limited.

Now there is a new plugin available, this time specifically for the United States. It includes three different pages and has data for any NOAA station in the U.S.

It includes climate normals and parameters such as avg, max, min temperature, precipitation, snowfall, heating/cooling degree days etc. The information is provided using interactive graphs, sortable tables and there is also a map.

I used the plain text files provided by NOAA and visualized them in a slightly more understandable way. But because I always try to have some added value, I created two additional pages.

In addition to the page with detailed analysis of a single station, there is also a page that compares two stations side by side. You can immediately see the differences on the graphs and in the tables, the actual value of the difference is also calculated.

Then, the last page is also quite interesting. It is basically the same page as the comparison page, but this time, you only choose one station and it will compare it to your own station, using data from your MySQL database.

As always, the plugin adjusts the units, colors and all the other settings based on your config.php.

Hope you enjoy it, installation cannot be simpler (just set default station)

Install instructions/download: http://www.meteotemplate.com/web/plugins/climateUS.php

DEMO: http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/plugins/climateUS/index.php

Wow this is great! 

Will be very nice to do comparisions now and have graphs.
Good Job Jachym!
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline johnny

« Reply #1756 on: March 02, 2016, 02:31:57 AM »
Congratulations Jachym for all the efforts to create such an amazing template!
Did you release any update for the stickers? Your sticker is displaying date and time of your latest data in the upper corner. Could i have the same please?

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #1757 on: March 02, 2016, 04:43:17 AM »
Congratulations Jachym for all the efforts to create such an amazing template!
Did you release any update for the stickers? Your sticker is displaying date and time of your latest data in the upper corner. Could i have the same please?

Hi Johnny,

LOL I was wondering if someone notices it :D Yes I did change the stickers code, but havent released it yet and currently am only testing it myself. I want to make a few more changes and then release the updated version :-)

Offline johnny

« Reply #1758 on: March 02, 2016, 06:59:07 AM »
Hi Jachym,

I just noticed that the new version of "summary" block doesn't work for the Forecast tab. It obviously doesn't fetch the forecast data from yr.no. What should i do to fix it?

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #1759 on: March 02, 2016, 07:17:15 AM »
Hmmm... do you see any errors in your error log? If so, send them to me by PM or email, I know your server is sometimes problematic :D

Offline johnny

« Reply #1760 on: March 02, 2016, 07:55:27 AM »
Hmmm... do you see any errors in your error log? If so, send them to me by PM or email, I know your server is sometimes problematic :D
It has a lot of errors, but i guess that all of them are 4 or 5...
I sent you PM.
Thanks!

Offline Colin

• Senior Contributor
    • Colin's Weather
« Reply #1761 on: March 02, 2016, 11:57:51 PM »
Even though the default colour scheme is nice plus the fact the colours can be changed,
is it or would it be possible to have textures rather than flat colours?
eg

Davis Vantage Pro 2 - USB Data Logger - Meteobridge
Porepunkah, Victoria, Australia
https://www.weather.manorts.com
https://www.punkaweather.com
www.meteo.manorts.com

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #1762 on: March 03, 2016, 05:12:51 AM »
Hi Colin,.
I cant really imagine how you would want to use textures, the text, tables etc. have to have a color, maybe the main background could have a texture, but Im definitely not a big fan of this idea. I originally didnt even include the gradients and also recommend not to use it. Once you start putting textures etc. in table headers, backgrounds, it all becomes rather confusing.
Since there is lots of info, number, graphs, you really dont want to distract the user and make the user experience as good as possible. The template also uses some concepts of the so-called material design, which uses no 3D effects, shadows, just very simple, clean look, flat icons etc.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Meteotemplate - New Block - RSS Feed Reader
« Reply #1763 on: March 03, 2016, 10:39:59 AM »
Hi guys,

a new block is now available. It is called “RSS feed” – the purpose of it is quite obvious.

Features:

- specify as many RSS feeds as you like and it will display them (assuming they confirm to the proper RSS format)
- items are automatically sliced into pages and you can specify the maximum number of items per page
- you can also limit the length of the text for one item, which means if it is longer, it will be truncated at the nearest word, but making sure any HTML tags are preserved.
- supports pictures

I hope most of the RSS will work, obviously I was not able to test every single RSS feed there is and I did find a few which did not work, however, those that did not simply did not work because they were not properly formatted as an RSS feed.

Just one last thing, if you install it, please just let me know whoever is first if it works so that Im sure it is ok (though I tested it and it should be fine)

Enjoy

Download/screenshots: http://www.meteotemplate.com/web/blocks.php

Offline nitrx

• Senior Contributor
    • Apeldoorn-Oost The Netherlands
« Reply #1764 on: March 03, 2016, 11:02:02 AM »
Great block Jachym  =D> I've two feeds added from our National Weatherservice (KNMI) Forecast and Alerts both are in Dutch
Ron
Cumulus software
Apeldoorn NL
http://www.apeldoornmeteo.nl

several languages

Offline KapitainOne

• Senior Contributor
    • Sanford Weather
Re: Meteotemplate - New Block - RSS Feed Reader
« Reply #1765 on: March 03, 2016, 11:54:19 AM »
Hi guys,

a new block is now available. It is called “RSS feed” – the purpose of it is quite obvious.

Features:

- specify as many RSS feeds as you like and it will display them (assuming they confirm to the proper RSS format)
- items are automatically sliced into pages and you can specify the maximum number of items per page
- you can also limit the length of the text for one item, which means if it is longer, it will be truncated at the nearest word, but making sure any HTML tags are preserved.
- supports pictures

I hope most of the RSS will work, obviously I was not able to test every single RSS feed there is and I did find a few which did not work, however, those that did not simply did not work because they were not properly formatted as an RSS feed.

Just one last thing, if you install it, please just let me know whoever is first if it works so that Im sure it is ok (though I tested it and it should be fine)

Enjoy

Download/screenshots: http://www.meteotemplate.com/web/blocks.php

Looking good here http://www.sanfordweather.com/meteo/

Thanks
Bill

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #1766 on: March 03, 2016, 12:11:30 PM »
:)

Offline justinhow

• Dumfries Weather
« Reply #1767 on: March 03, 2016, 12:40:31 PM »
Love the RSS feed block Jachym - its on my site now. That was super quick from suggestion to launch!  =D>
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2, Weather Display, meteotemplate 14

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #1768 on: March 03, 2016, 12:48:17 PM »
Love the RSS feed block Jachym - its on my site now. That was super quick from suggestion to launch!  =D>

Thank you Justin

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #1769 on: March 03, 2016, 06:30:47 PM »
Hi Jachym,
It is easy to set up and works with the default/included RSS feeds.  However, I have added my own weather RRS Feed link http://www.komokaweather.com/weather/cumulusrss.php in the settings.php and when selecting this from http://www.komokaweather.com/j-template/index.php it gives an error.
Fatal error:  Call to a member function item() on a non-object in /home/content/96/5379896/html/j-template/homepage/blocks/rssFeed/reader.php on line 41

I admit I know very little about RSS Feed and any suggestions to get this working is appreciated.

Paul

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #1770 on: March 03, 2016, 06:40:31 PM »
Can you post link to the particular RSS feed you are trying to use? Most likely this is one of those RSS feeds not properly formatted...

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #1771 on: March 03, 2016, 06:44:17 PM »

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #1772 on: March 03, 2016, 07:01:05 PM »
I see... it is because it is missing the "link" element, I will try to modify the script to make this optional, but in normal case each feed item has also the link property, with a link to the full page

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #1773 on: March 03, 2016, 07:14:19 PM »
OK, so I checked the feed and it is as I suspected, it is the missing "link" property that is causing this.

One other person also had problems with loading an RSS feed from the NWS - in this case it was because it returned "access forbidden" - I was already able to find a workaround to this, so what I will do is try to also deal with situations where the "link" property is not available and then release an updated version of the whole block.

For now just delete this particular one and I will try to fix it asap so that you can add it.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #1774 on: March 03, 2016, 07:45:49 PM »
Thanks Jachym,
With the help and persistence of a forum member a couple of years ago I was able to create this KomokaWeather RSS Feed and by Cumulus processing the file at each regular web update.  It would be great if you can make it work as a block =D>

Paul

anything