Author Topic: Weatherlink.com 2.0 announced  (Read 40982 times)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Weatherlink.com 2.0 announced
« Reply #75 on: December 25, 2017, 04:15:09 PM »
No, as I said, I've not had cause to run through this myself, but 98% sure that the initial interaction is just to register the account and receive a note of the DID & key.

Marginally simpler if you do it on the same PC because then you can just copy and paste the details, but I'm virtually certain that there's no interaction between your browser request for an account and the WL program. The WL version has not changed at all so the process with WL is just the same as it was previously when you received the details by email.

OK, I did the "install logger" process, and got my 12-character DID and 6-digit Key.  Went to WeatherLink Setup, typed in those items, clicked the button to enter them and.... after a wait of a few seconds ....

Value Cannot be null
         Parameter name: request UriString

Tried several times (cut-and-paste, typing, etc. etc.) with the same result.  It's not sending data to my WeatherLink.com page.  (Waited over an hour to be sure).  But is still working OK with all other destinations.

I suppose it's time to send a question to Davis Support.

Footnote: it is obviously trying,  In addition to the other things, the log file contains (once per minute)
12/25/17  3:31p (ValleyForge) Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: requestUriString
 12/25/17  3:30p (ValleyForge) Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: requestUriString

Footnote 2:  I'm running WeatherLink version 6.0.1 - is version 6.0.3 required to use WeatherLink.com this way?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 04:48:18 PM by dalecoy »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2017, 04:50:56 PM »
Definitely update to 6.0.3 before concluding that there's any issue. IIRC 6.0.1 was only around briefly and obviously had some bugs, maybe including this one - can't remember the details though.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #77 on: December 25, 2017, 05:12:43 PM »
just trying here
I have an IP data logger
that was was previously registered with WL.com 1.0
I got that auto transfered to WL 2.0 when logging in
running weatherlink 6.03, how do I get that to upload to weatherlink.com?
(i have setup weatherlink to get data from my IP data logger)
under setup, weatherlink network is greyed out...

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #78 on: December 25, 2017, 05:24:40 PM »
Definitely update to 6.0.3 before concluding that there's any issue. IIRC 6.0.1 was only around briefly and obviously had some bugs, maybe including this one - can't remember the details though.

Answering that: Updating to 6.0.3 "fixed" the issue.  Now seems to be working OK.

Comment: the "instructions" for how to do all of this were not very helpful (in most cases, did not exist).  For instance, in the "install" procedure, there was a box for "time zone" - that could not be manually changed.

It was not OBVIOUS that I should be either entering my street address or geographic coordinates, and that, when that was done, the "time zone" would be set for me.  In my case, it now says  America/Chicago - but of course, I don't live anywhere near Chicago.

And a note, somewhere, that WeatherLink for Windows Version 6.0.3 is the required version, would obviously have been quite helpful to me.

Thanks for all of your help, johnd.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2017, 06:17:20 PM »
I see what I have done wrong
I need to be using a non IP data logger

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #80 on: December 25, 2017, 06:30:38 PM »
got it working. i.e updating to WL 2.0 via weatherlink 6.03 from a USB data logger
question
how do you change the units on your weatherlink.com web site?
I could not see anything obvious?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #81 on: December 25, 2017, 08:58:01 PM »
Click on the account information icon   The left icon under your login name.

Paul

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #82 on: December 25, 2017, 09:24:11 PM »
I don't seem to see that or I am blind?

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #83 on: December 25, 2017, 09:26:32 PM »
I found it
its that little man icon
tbanks!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #84 on: December 25, 2017, 10:05:08 PM »

2. 'Current conditions' data packets are ........ still uploaded every minute, with updates reflected in the Bulletin/dashboard presentation.

Is there a way to change that (make it less frequent)?  I know my feelings are off-norm here, but I would be happy with every 5 minutes.  Why waste the bandwidth, if I don't personally need it?

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #85 on: December 25, 2017, 11:09:25 PM »
using wireshark, I see the HTTP Post data is going to 54.172.164.1 (i.e weatherlink.com) as a binary stream
probably as a whole 52 byte page of data

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2017, 03:42:26 AM »
Comment: the "instructions" for how to do all of this were not very helpful (in most cases, did not exist).  For instance, in the "install" procedure, there was a box for "time zone" - that could not be manually changed.

Probably a comment to direct towards support@weatherlink.com . I suspect that doing more external beta-testing would have helped though there are quite a few different use cases. Behind the scenes I think it is a fairly major update against a deadline, so unsurprising that there is scope for improvement in the instructions,

It was not OBVIOUS that I should be either entering my street address or geographic coordinates, and that, when that was done, the "time zone" would be set for me.  In my case, it now says  America/Chicago - but of course, I don't live anywhere near Chicago.

It should be made more obvious that there are shortcuts available for location details, eg in the UK we just need to enter the postcode and everything else is automatic. I'm guessing the same applies to US zip codes.

And a note, somewhere, that WeatherLink for Windows Version 6.0.3 is the required version, would obviously have been quite helpful to me.

Agreed

NB And I'm not aware that there is any way of changing the update intervals - suspect the WLfW uploads are simply set at the same frequency as the WLIP ones. But Brian could probably confirm that if he's watching the binary uploads. (So we're expecting a brief update every minute, with a longer one for the archive data every hour.)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 03:46:00 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #87 on: December 26, 2017, 04:19:29 AM »
yes there is an update every minute, I am guessing of the just the latest data
ps, its an octet binary stream http post
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 04:23:45 AM by waiukuweather »

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #88 on: December 26, 2017, 04:24:30 AM »
application/octet-stream
it might be similar to the info provided in the latest Davis manual for doing a http download from weatherlink.com, which downloads binary data
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 04:26:12 AM by waiukuweather »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #89 on: December 26, 2017, 04:32:35 AM »
application/octet-stream
it might be similar to the info provided in the latest Davis manual for doing a http download from weatherlink.com, which downloads binary data

Yes my guess is very similar, maybe the actual weather content is identical.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2017, 05:20:38 AM »
from the manual for the web download section:
The response is a binary encoded octet stream of the raw 52 byte archive records. These can be
decoded per the definition in X.4
so maybe the upload is that same 52 byte archive record?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2017, 05:28:12 AM »
so maybe the upload is that same 52 byte archive record?

Why not? I can imagine the thought process that if you already have a concise format for all the key data that your weather station can generate then why reinvent the wheel, especially when you have C++  (or whatever) modules on-hand that already build and parse the records. BICBW.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2017, 07:52:35 PM »
making progress
I was able to download the binary record data (52 bytes) from weatherlink.com using HTTP Get OK using the info in the manual
ie a file was created
I now need to see if I can read that file in and make sure its correct data etc

I then was able to upload that same file again using HTTP POST and the response back looked valid
so now I need to try creating that record file , and see if that data shows up on weatherlink.com

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2017, 06:24:30 PM »
OK, I am able to download the 52 byte archive data
and parse that out OK
and even create a record data file (which I can parse out OK)
one problem is though, that download from weatherlink.com ,is actually of data my my old weatherlink.com 1.0 data
and not the new weatherlink.com 2.0 data (which I am able to populate OK with a virtual DID /Key via weatherlink 6.03 web upload function via data via usb to a VP console

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2017, 03:57:39 AM »
Ah, if I've followed correctly what you're trying to do  you need to substitute DID for username in the web download call, but still use the account pw - it's working fine here.

And yes there shouldn't be any problem with parsing the downloaded data - the format of the binary packet hasn't changed since 1.0 and this download is used by a number of user programs, including our own Prowlar (wxdata.net) (demo/demo if you're interested).

Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
New Weatherlink.com 2.0 Video on YouTube
« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2017, 04:22:22 AM »
Davis posted a new video on YouTube. Here's the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEWsAeQB0R8
Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline Swannie

• Swannie, Ex Lab Rat from Sunny South Africa
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2017, 07:25:27 AM »
[Is there a way to change that (make it less frequent)?  I know my feelings are off-norm here, but I would be happy with every 5 minutes.  Why waste the bandwidth, if I don't personally need it?]

Open WeatherLink 6.03 and under Setup, Internet Settings are Profiles. Select 1 and change the update time to what you want
Retired Analytical Chemist.
Precision. Precision. Precision
Davis Vantage VUE

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2017, 12:33:06 PM »
oh great tip that, using the DID instead of the username
now I can download the data from weatherlink.com 2.0 now OK (and you get the info about the latest data via a header call too)

for the upload, I can upload if I set the time stamp to 1 day earlier...so I wonder if the times need to be UTC?

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2017, 12:48:48 PM »
another question
how many records in the binary file (i.e how many pages of 52 byte data (i.e history) would be expected in a upload?
(for uploading current data, i.e where the time stamp is set to current time)
(in testing, setting the time stamp to 0 in the upload makes a larger upload of data occur..interesting (compared to say setting to 1 day back)
still not getting the uploaded data (its being accepted OK ) to actually show up as new current data
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 12:52:22 PM by waiukuweather »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2017, 01:11:08 PM »
[Is there a way to change that (make it less frequent)?  I know my feelings are off-norm here, but I would be happy with every 5 minutes.  Why waste the bandwidth, if I don't personally need it?]

Open WeatherLink 6.03 and under Setup, Internet Settings are Profiles. Select 1 and change the update time to what you want

No, that doesn't work (for the uploads to WeatherLink.com).  There's no profile for the WeatherLink.com upload.