Author Topic: How long have u had your VP1/VP2, what kind of track record?  (Read 16035 times)

Offline Ravenstar

• Senior Contributor
    • http://veronaweather.com
How long have u had your VP1/VP2, what kind of track record?
« on: October 01, 2006, 07:32:26 PM »
I've only had my VP2 wireless now for 6 months. USB connector and not a single hitch so far. Hope this isn't the kiss of death  :shock:

How bout you folks, how long, what things have broken, ect?

Vantage pro 2 (wireless)

Offline talbert1952

• Contributor
    • http://tobaccovilleweather.com
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 09:09:47 PM »
I got my 6153 almost 1½ years ago. Davis had a water leak problem around the SIM antenna. I ended up with one of the units that leaked. Davis replaced the whole SIM. No problems since. I have the serial version of Weatherlink. Zero problems from day one.
Tom
W4SNA
IRLP 4069 - Echolink W4SNA-R

http://tobaccovilleweather.com/
Hardware: Davis 6153 wireless VP2 with 24 hr fan aspirated radiation shield, WMR968, Boltek Stormtracker PCI,
  Hamtronics R139, stacked Woodhouse 6X6 beams on Yaesu G-5500 az/el rotator
Software: Weatherlink, VWS, Image Salsa, Lightning/2000, GRLevel3 with Allison House data feed, WxtoImg

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 09:14:28 PM »
Have had my VP1 wireless (with serial datalogger) for 2 years and 4 months, with no issues, except that rainfall was underreporting by about 12%.  Added a wireless anemometer transmitter two years ago.  Still using the original batteries for both.   :D

Offline Elderberry

• Mike
    • SoHiWeather
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 09:24:30 PM »
I've had my VP2 for 11 months. Only problem was water leak around ISS antenna. Davis sent me one of the little rubber things to put on the antenna and that fixed it right up.

Offline up10ad N9RJH

• USA Weather Finder
  • WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
  • Station will be back up someday...
    • Forecaster without a site
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 09:40:32 PM »
Original VP Wireless, operating 24/7 since Nov 2001, almost 5 years now.  Using the serial datalogger and have missed only a few hours of data the entire time.  I've never had to do anything but keep it clean.  It really has been an amazing piece of hardware.
Rick (N9RJH)
Have you joined USAWeatherFinder.com yet?

Offline Dragonfly

• http://www.crewe-weather.com
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 09:46:27 PM »
Put my VP1 in service February 2004, since then added the Day FARS, Solar, UV and heater. Only problem I had was my Console needed repair and Davis fixed it for $79.00. At that time I was offered by Davis to send also my ISS for an overhaul at no extra charge but declined.

A big issue for me is reception, too many 900MHz phones in the neighborhood. every time we have a power outage my reception goes to almost a perfect 100% for the duration.

-Ingo

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 10:31:27 PM »
Original VP1(FARS)-wired/serial interface in service since Feb, 2004.  Davis replaced the SIM card about a year ago (no charge) when anemometer went a bit screwy in the rain (read 113mph with no wind).  Really solved that problem with a B&B serial opto-isolator (some kind of ground loop we guess).  Rain gauge read about 12%low (compared with a nearby station and a 4" manual gauge), so adjusted rocker screws up a bit and now matches what's collected in the manual gauge and a station about .25 mile away (also a Davis VP).

I've been quite pleased with the reliability.. it just keeps on working   :D

Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 10:44:45 PM »
Davis VP 1 Wireless installed March 2002.  Anemometer was replaced just inside warranty for a bad reed switch.  I've had occasional bouts of reception problems but finding a new sweet spot for the console or antenna direction has always solved them.  I found a small twist-tie coiled around the antenna just above the base is enough to cut the gain a bit and hold reception during bad interference times.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 12:11:25 AM »
Have a VP1+ cabled version here and has been in operation since January 2004. Using the serial datalogger. Haven't had a single problem with it since it was installed.

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 01:08:35 AM »
Have a VP2. Purchased in Dec of 2005. Had over four months of near constant communications failures using the USB datalogger (on two different computers). Finally gave in and contacted Davis requesting a change to the Serial datalogger. Once installed, have had about five months of flawless communications from it.

Am VERY happy I switched to the Serial datalogger and wish I had done so much sooner...  :D
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 11:03:33 AM »
VP2 purchased about 1 year ago, USB logger.

Zero problems.
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline mhweather

• http://home.comcast.net/~mullicahillweather
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 12:18:34 PM »
Had my VP1 since May 2001.  I've had the anenometer replaced 3 times (original reed switch design used to stick) and the SIM board last year.  All replacements - even out of warranty - were free of charge.  They even sent the firmware updater loaner free as well.  The SIM board was tough, it was a 2-week outage, but the annies still worked even while I was awaiting replacement.  Sometimes I just had to tap it with a pole to unstick the switch.  I'm very pleased with this hardware, hoping that maybe a VP3 will be along someday with ethernet connectivity and a better hi-contrast LCD display.
Mullica Hill Weather
http://home.comcast.net/~mullicahillweather
Powered by Kubuntu Linux and Wview weather software.

Offline anvana

• http://www.topsailweather.com
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 07:33:42 PM »
Running a VP2 here since August of last year. It has been through 1 hurricane, 1 TS, and 1 Noreaster with no problems. Like the bunny, it just keeps going and going.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 09:08:29 PM »
VP2 up since April 2005. Had communications problems starting in Jan. 2006, which Davis determined a bad board. Replaced  it N/C.

USB Datalogger also. Working great (so far)
Tony

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 01:55:32 PM »
VP2 since August of 2005. Temp/humidity sensor went bad. Davis replaced that free of charge.  ( was still under warranty ) With the sensor they also sent a new SIM Box because of the leaking problem.  Didn't ask for it and they didn't tell me it was coming. Nice surprise. Rain gauge was reading too low so had to adjust that.
 Using the serial data logger with no problem but have a problem with Steve's Virtual VP because the distance from console to PC is about 90 feet. Need to find some type of amplifier to correct that problem.
 Kevin, how can you be using the same batteries. :shock: I changed mine once after 6 months and am about to change again.

Offline jaded

• http://home.comcast.net/~jadeters/Weather.htm
VP1, mostly satisfied
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 01:13:47 AM »
I've had my VP1 since June 2004.  After the initial purchase, I moved the ISS package from my roof to a post in the backyard, and bought the remote anemometer kit for the anemometer which remained on the rooftop.  I also added a Weather Echo Plus.

Battery life on the ISS board has been poor, and so has reception.  (Started OK, but got worse over time.)  I went so far as to toss my 900 MHz phones and buy 5.8 GHz ones, just in case they were causing interference.  

Sent the ISS board back to Davis last year about the battery issue, they replaced it without question, hassle, or cost.

I love the station, love the setup, love the Weather Echo, I just wish I got better reception.  I'm only disappointed that Davis provided no upgrade path to the radios, and that my lithium batteries last only a few months.

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
    • http://www.softwx.com/products.html
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 08:53:36 AM »
I've had my VP2 for 1 year 9 months. Has always run like a charm, except occasional problems with the USB datalogger becoming unavailable. I replaced it with a serial datalogger, and that has fixed that problem. I'm still running with the original batteries in the ISS. Probably should replace those before the cold weather sets in, just to be safe.

Steve

Offline Andy Overton

• http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/doncastertownmoorwx
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 02:53:24 PM »
I've had a cabled VP1 for 2 and a half years or so, with WeatherLink USB software after the first year.  I have had problems with the USB connection but as I don't have a website uploading constantly this hasn't been too much hassle, though if I were buying again I would probably go for a serial version (Davis did offer me a swop out).  My raingauge read about 12% too low out of the box compared to a 5" gauge (UK standard) so I have adjusted it.  I recently had problems with the logger failing for several hours at a time (the console recorded ok so it wasn't an ISS problem) which baffled everyone but after I removed the logger then reinstalled it just in case the connections had got oxidised/loose I haven't had a repeat (fingers crossed).  I have had the ground loop problem with the anemometer going mad with the laptop on battery power.  I traced this to an issue with the Lexmark printer, so long as I have the laptop plugged in the main when it is connected to the printer the problem doesn't happen.  So, some good experiences, some not so good but overall I am happy with the system, would recommend it to anyone and would definitely buy Davis again.  I reckon it is far and away the best AWS for the amateur market today.  Not to be underestimated is Davis's aftersales service, worth a lot when you do have a problem with something which has cost you a fair bit of money.  Some manufacturers don't want to know you once your cheque has cleared.

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
    • http://www.jimboombaweather.com
Re: How long have u had your VP1/VP2, what kind of track rec
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2006, 04:47:13 AM »
Quote from: "Ravenstar"
I've only had my VP2 wireless now for 6 months. USB connector and not a single hitch so far. Hope this isn't the kiss of death  :shock:

How bout you folks, how long, what things have broken, ect?

Have had mine for around 18 months now, and only one short term problem which rectified itself back around June this year.

Wasn't receiving data from the ISS or the Anemometer transmitter kit... sometimes both at the same time, other times separately. Replaced batteries, made no difference, then all of sudden after a day or so everything returned to normal, hopefully never to return again.
Brendan,
vk4blp
IRLP 6857 Echolink 672767

Offline FishDude

• OFA Weather Web!
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 06:27:51 AM »
Bought my VP2 wireless at the end of August! Has been running perfectly since. Have since purchased Virtual VP so I can run both VWS & WD. I like/dislike parts of both software packages!

I made some adjustments to Barometer/Rain.

I understand it has gotten better with new drivers, but  Intentionally avoided the USB datalogger just to be sure I didn't have "The PRoblem".

Bob

PS - I originally planned on buying a cheaper brand, glad  I went for the Davis!

Offline mikejeep

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 12:21:59 AM »
Wireless VP2 owner for almost 11 months now.  Started off with USB, after 2+ months of communications problems I contacted Davis and they happily swapped mine for the serial version, and even included a free serial->USB adapter so I have a "virtual" USB logger, without the comm hassles!

Not a single problem since, still running strong on the battery shipped from the factory too, knock on wood...

-Mike

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
    • Beamsville Weather Station
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2006, 10:01:18 AM »
I just got my wireless VP2 using a serial connection.  I hooked it up over the weekend, changed my station settings in VWS, and the two are getting along great!
Ann-Marie
Beamsville, Ontario, Canada

Offline Ravenstar

• Senior Contributor
    • http://veronaweather.com
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 08:26:52 PM »
Congratulations Ann-Marie on your new VP2, I'm sure you're very excited about your new upgrade. I have no doubts it will serve you and your community well!

Enjoy

Vantage pro 2 (wireless)

Offline Bruiser

• Contributor
    • Miami Township (Just South of Dayton), Ohio Weather
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2006, 01:31:39 PM »
I have had my Vantage Pro wireless installed since February of 2004 (About the same time as Dragonfly's) and has worked without problems since.  I give the occasional light cleaning of the station with the hardest core cleaning occurring about a year ago when I added a F.A.R.S. unit.  Once a year I replace the batteries on the SIM.

Good product and knock on wood it doesn't blow up now :)

anything