Author Topic: Envoy's think my Vantage Vue is a Vantage Pro2  (Read 676 times)

Offline staze

• Everybody Staze...
Envoy's think my Vantage Vue is a Vantage Pro2
« on: May 15, 2022, 07:50:26 PM »
Hi All,

I have a Vantage Vue that came with a console, works great. I have two Envoy's, both the older black ones (rather than what look like newer light gray ones), both with latest firmware. One with an MB Nano SD in it, and the other with a Weatherlink IP. However, both Envoy's are convinced my Vue is a Vantage Pro2. =/ Even though there's no ET data, no solar/uv data, etc.

Opening up them in Weatherlink 6.0.5 (wow this software is terrible), I get warnings saying "The station is configured as a Vantage Vue model, but the console is detected as a Vantage Pro model. Please re-configure station".

I've got a ticket with Davis, but no response so far. I'm at a bit of a loss... am I picking up a neighbors station on accident? I don't KNOW of any neighbors with a Davis station, but doesn't mean they don't have one and I haven't seen it... but pretty sure it's my Vue since when I work on it, I can see the errant rain tips, or anemometer spins.

Thoughts? The main issue, tbh, is Weewx is reporting ET because of this errant ISS info, and yet it's always 0.0 (since the Vue doesn't support ET data).

Thanks!
Davis Vantage Vue, Weather Envoy, Meteobridge Nano SD

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Envoy's think my Vantage Vue is a Vantage Pro2
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 08:44:41 PM »
A Vantage Pro2 does not have to have ET or solar or UV to be a VP2 and the "Vue" ISS is nothing more than the typical VP2 ISS and to a VP2 Console or Envoy a Vue ISS is simply nothing more than a typical ISS

So yes if you have configured your Envoys Station Configuration as a "Vantage Vue" then you need to change that to "Vantage Pro" 

BTW WeatherLink 6.0.5 is still quite functional especially where Envoy's are concerned and continues to do what is does quite well, some of us have absolutely no issue and better understand this software for what it does     

Offline staze

• Everybody Staze...
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 11:41:43 PM »
Fair. It throws errors like crazy about being unable to save config, create station (even though it does succeed), etc. has done this in win10 for me, as well as 11. I get it’s use for Envoys. I just wish it was less (seemingly) buggy.

Alright, so you’re saying don’t set it as a Vue even though that option is in Weatherlink, and instead set it as a Vantage Pro and then set the channel to “ISS” and not “Vue ISS”? (This option only shows up if Station is set to Vue).

Or are you saying the Envoy doesn’t know anything but Vantage Pro and it can’t tell the difference? This would seem to run counter to what the Weewx dev has indicated in that the console should be able to tell (and it reporting back the wrong console type causing other issues (like ET being recorded even though it’s always 0).

Sorry. Davis doesn’t seem to really have much in the way of documentation on this. So any info you have is extremely helpful.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 11:43:20 PM by staze »

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 12:56:03 AM »
The simple way to look at this is the Envoy is a VP2 and the all in one "Vue Sensor Suite" is simply an ISS as opposed to say a Vantage Pro(2) Plus which might have part of or all of the addit extra sensors?

The Envoy doesn't care as the Vue ISS essentially provides the same basic sensor data feed as a basic VP2 (as such) ISS. WeatherLink wants to know the Model, which in the case of an Envoy is a Vantage Pro. Now an Envoy could also be a Vantage Pro Plus but all the Vue ISS does is mimic a basic VP2 ISS so lets not confuse things or go outside the WeatherLink software and get confused with non Davis software interpretations     

Offline staze

• Everybody Staze...
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 12:58:38 AM »
Interesting. Okay, thanks. Will flip it over.

Guess I’ll hit up weewx dev About this and see how to proceed (regarding weewx interpreting model from console)

anything