Author Topic: Serial or USB?  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Mryank9

• Hamden Weather
Serial or USB?
« on: July 14, 2014, 02:13:46 PM »
So after about 2.5 years, finally going to upgrade my Ambient WS-2080 to a new Davis VP2! I'm really excited to get started but wasn't sure which Weatherlink to purchase, the serial or USB. I am using an older desktop that has both ports, wasn't sure if one was more stable or it didn't really matter. If I ever upgrade to a newer PC, it probably won't have a serial port so that's also something to consider. Any opinions on this?

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
Re: Serial or USB?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 02:37:02 PM »
The newer hardware in my opinion, the USB works just as good as the serial as long as you remember to install the com port emulator and keep in mind that the only software that can use USB direct (which bypasses the comport emulator) is WeatherLink.  I've been running my USB VP2 for over a year now with no issues.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline Mryank9

• Hamden Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 03:17:49 PM »
So can I not use say, Cumulus or Weather Display with the USB?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 03:19:56 PM »
How far will it be between your console and your computer?

See the following topic for lots of discussion.  Some of it on-topic.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=22932.0

Offline Mryank9

• Hamden Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 03:21:51 PM »
Console and PC are on the same desk..no more than 2-3 feet apart

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 04:07:15 PM »
Console and PC are on the same desk..no more than 2-3 feet apart

So, assuming your PC is running 24/7, go with the USB logger.  Just be sure to follow the directions when you first set it up (using WeatherLink), and you will then be able to use other weather programs like Cumulus and Weather Display, etc. 

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 04:46:46 PM »
More to think about:  when your serial port peters out, you can always get a serial/usb connector.

You can use other third party software with a usb WL, but during setup, you have to tell it it's a serial adapter.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 09:13:10 PM »
I am a 6 year Davis with USB datalogger user, without any issue in these 6 years.  All (afaik) third party weather programs must have the Davis station running in serial mode, so all that is needed upon initial WL station set up is to select "Serial" mode.
Enjoy,

Paul

Offline Daffypuck

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 10:18:19 PM »
I'm I understanding correctly that on initial setup with the logger to my PC, I MUST use WL software to establish the connection between the station and my PC before switching to say, Cumulus or any 3rd party software? If so, can I delete WL once I switch over to Cumulus?

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 10:23:31 PM »
I'm I understanding correctly that on initial setup with the logger to my PC, I MUST use WL software to establish the connection between the station and my PC before switching to say, Cumulus or any 3rd party software? If so, can I delete WL once I switch over to Cumulus?
Correct
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 10:54:07 PM »
If so, can I delete WL once I switch over to Cumulus?

Out of curiosity, why would you want to delete WL?

Offline Daffypuck

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 04:40:43 AM »
Maybe Im misunderstanding what WL does. I thought WL is just like Cumulus in that it links your station via the logger to your PC, saving data, showing you your stations reports  and giving you the ability to connect online to WU or whatever. So if I preferred Cumulus over WL, why would I need two programs on my PC if Im only using one?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 04:59:25 AM »
So if I preferred Cumulus over WL, why would I need two programs on my PC if Im only using one?

Because occasionally you might need to run WL (eg if you needed to change any settings on the console/logger that Cumulus doesn't support). No-one is suggesting that you routinely run both Cumulus and WL (not that that would work anyway), simply asking why you would delete WL if you might occasionally need it - it won't be doing any harm just sitting unused on the hard disk  and the amount of space taken up on a modern HDD is minimal.

I wouldn't disagree with the principle of not cluttering up your HDD and desktop with loads of applications that you may eg have looked at once but never taken up. But WL is a program that - even just occasionally, eg to change an archive interval or to easily update transmitter settings on the console - you might find useful to have available.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Daffypuck

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 03:30:36 PM »
Ok, I understand. I just thought, at first, that the logger was like any other device that your computer would recognize. I thought you could make changes with other 3rd party software just like in WL. Thanks for the clarification.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 10:26:35 PM »
I do all my uploading with WUHU software.  However, I stop it once/month and launch WL and download the datalogger info for a back.  I email it to my yahoo email account so the data is saved in the cloud somewhere.  Then I stop WL and restart WUHU.

You can also make adjustments to your davis station using WL.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Daffypuck

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 02:53:37 AM »
For clRification, I just got my logger and WL today. I'm assuming I take the batteries out of my station, insert the logger, replace batteries, connect to PC, open WL and set my interval and other settings and then what?

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 09:07:11 AM »
Daffypuck,

"I'm assuming I unplug the ac wallwart, take the batteries out of my station, insert the logger, replace batteries, plug the wallwart back in, connect to PC, open WL" go to Setup => Walkthrough then after that, enjoy.

Note that under Setup you can adjust individual items but if the Bulletin or Strip charts are up, you can't. Only "walkthrough" is not grayed out.

FWIW

George

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 09:54:53 PM »
I not familiar with Cumulus, but I know Virtual Weather Station has the option of launching WL each night to archive the data from the data-logger.

I have mine doing this each night at 11:55 PM.

VWS disconnects, launches WL (which then retrieves the data from the data-logger, creates my NOAA reports and then disconnects), and then VWS reconnects with the weather station.

Additional advantages WL:

A: Ability to change the archive interval on your station (mine is set to 1 minute, but I change it 5 minute if I'm going to be out of town - so I don't loose any data if I encounter a computer problem while I'm away).
B: WL has some GREAT graphing abilities. From one year down to one hour, with the ability to display multiple years/days of data overlaid. I just posted an example recently: https://www.facebook.com/LFWeatherCenter?sk=wall&filter=1#!/LFWeatherCenter/photos/a.170251423060600.44979.169769506442125/652793084806429/?type=1
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network