Author Topic: Weather Underground Servers Down  (Read 7220 times)

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
Re: Weather Underground Servers Down
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2021, 02:41:58 PM »
WU should be wanting to hold onto users like you guys who know how to properly site a temperature sensor and or use good quality weather station equipment
IBM don’t care, plain and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2021, 05:11:10 PM »
my radar from WU has been down for a day.
They all went down at the same time and are still down three days later.  I suspect this is now a "feature" just like the TWDRs which have been down since December 17, 2019.

Radar is about the only thing WU is good for anymore and now they seem to have tossed that in the bin, too.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2021, 05:22:54 PM »
Just severed all connections to WU....Been real..... [tup]
Our data feed to WU / IBM has halted after 16 years starting today.
=D> This is a bandwagon worth jumping on.

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2021, 05:44:35 PM »
I'll keep my WU subscription active as I still find value and it doesn't cost me anything.
1. WU is still the only site that does rapid-fire ~5 second updates.
2. Since so many people subscribe I can see what dozens of stations around me are reporting.
3. I find value in looking at my daily charts. (Long term charts not so much.)
4. The 10 day forecast has always been good, I look at it every day, and I love the format.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 05:46:27 PM by TraderGary »
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2021, 05:44:41 PM »
if the Nexrad is truly done, I will be done with WU as soon as I get home.

Now we have to start modifying the WU radar.inc  set up.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2021, 06:23:48 PM »
I'll keep my WU subscription active as I still find value and it doesn't cost me anything.
2. Since so many people subscribe I can see what dozens of stations around me are reporting.
4. The 10 day forecast has always been good, I look at it every day, and I love the format.
I second everything you've said. Plus it's accessible anywhere.

If WU goes completely up (they are cancelling their Storm Radar android app in June, not sure about the WU app), then I'm stuck with real time data only when I'm home with Cumulus MX. At that point I'll have to buy space on an internet server and set up my own web-based real time view of my data. That will be a pain to program since I haven't written code since 2005, but it will be my only option.
Weather Underground PWS KMDNEWWI3

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2021, 06:34:36 PM »

If WU goes completely up (they are cancelling their Storm Radar android app in June, not sure about the WU app), then I'm stuck with real time data only when I'm home with Cumulus MX. At that point I'll have to buy space on an internet server and set up my own web-based real time view of my data. That will be a pain to program since I haven't written code since 2005, but it will be my only option.

Since you're using a Davis Vantage Pro2, you could consider adding a Davis WeatherLink Live 6100. That's what I did and I love it. The Davis WeatherLink Android app is superb and gives you live real-time data.

Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2021, 06:47:44 PM »
Just severed all connections to WU....Been real..... [tup]
Our data feed to WU / IBM has halted after 16 years starting today.
=D> This is a bandwagon worth jumping on.

Indeed it is

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2021, 07:07:11 PM »

Since you're using a Davis Vantage Pro2, you could consider adding a Davis WeatherLink Live 6100. That's what I did and I love it. The Davis WeatherLink Android app is superb and gives you live real-time data.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the WLL only work over the same wifi network? I HAVE the WLL and often use it during storms at home but otherwise I have to use WU for RapidFire updates when out of the house...

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2021, 07:09:06 PM »
I don't really understand this cancel sending data thing
as they are not going to notice or care themselves, but why not just keep the data going, as it might be useful data for someone in your area

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2021, 07:17:57 PM »

Even if you don't want to send data to an external website or source, you can still access your data via a vpn server.  I do this and run it on my router and it works great.  It's a little more technical but it keeps me from having to pay for a site and worry about if the site goes down.  I have an Asus router running an OpenVPN server on it and have been running it this way for years.  And to the question of why cancel?  I've noticed on several occasions that my data gets corrupted on the way to WU; there are instances where it loses the wind direction/speed stream and since the migration it has NEVER reported UV correctly.  For me, now is as good a time as any to dump it.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2021, 07:19:15 PM »
It's called mediocrity. This is exactly the attitude WU wants to hear and everyone who continues to send their data there does nothing but facilitate it. IBM is laughing all the way to the bank...

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2021, 07:28:35 PM »
It's called mediocrity. This is exactly the attitude WU wants to hear and everyone who continues to send their data there does nothing but facilitate it. IBM is laughing all the way to the bank...

👍🏻👍🏻

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2021, 07:45:55 PM »

Even if you don't want to send data to an external website or source, you can still access your data via a vpn server.  I do this and run it on my router and it works great.  It's a little more technical but it keeps me from having to pay for a site and worry about if the site goes down.  I have an Asus router running an OpenVPN server on it and have been running it this way for years.  And to the question of why cancel?  I've noticed on several occasions that my data gets corrupted on the way to WU; there are instances where it loses the wind direction/speed stream and since the migration it has NEVER reported UV correctly.  For me, now is as good a time as any to dump it.

I have an xFinity 3rd Gen gigabit gateway (the XB7). Perhaps this has the ability to do as you describe above. I'm not sure how I'd connect my Android WeatherLink app to that vs the cellular network while out and about but I'm sure Google is my friend working that problem...

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2021, 07:56:20 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the WLL only work over the same wifi network? I HAVE the WLL and often use it during storms at home but otherwise I have to use WU for RapidFire updates when out of the house...

If you have the Davis WeatherLink Live 6100, you can see your data from anywhere by logging in to weatherlink.com. You can also see your data from anywhere using the Davis weatherlink app on either an Android or Apple iOS smart phone. If you are local on your own WiFi, you have LIVE real-time data on your phone app updated as often as 2.5 seconds for wind data. On weatherlink.com your data is updated every 60 seconds both local and away from home.

https://www.davisinstruments.com/weatherlinklive/

https://www.davisinstruments.com/weatherlink-app/

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2021, 08:07:38 PM »
If you have the Davis WeatherLink Live 6100, you can see your data from anywhere by logging in to weatherlink.com. You can also see your data from anywhere using the Davis weatherlink app on either an Android or Apple iOS smart phone. If you are local on your own WiFi, you have LIVE real-time data on your phone app updated as often as 2.5 seconds for wind data. On weatherlink.com your data is updated every 60 seconds both local and away from home.

Right, I get that. My point, which I'm sorry I didn't make clear, is that there are no alternatives to WU for LIVE access to your weather station across the internet unless you roll your own. Setting up your own commercially hosted website and writing the code for a web page is one option, and as described above, using a VPN on the home router (somehow, I have to figure that out).

Davis, inexplicably, doesn't provide realtime access on their WeatherLink.com website. If they did I'd ditch WU in a heartbeat.

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2021, 10:13:12 PM »

Right, I get that. My point, which I'm sorry I didn't make clear, is that there are no alternatives to WU for LIVE access to your weather station across the internet unless you roll your own. Setting up your own commercially hosted website and writing the code for a web page is one option, and as described above, using a VPN on the home router (somehow, I have to figure that out).

Davis, inexplicably, doesn't provide realtime access on their WeatherLink.com website. If they did I'd ditch WU in a heartbeat.

Right! I understand. When I'm home and I can see the trees bending in the wind and the rain is pelting down, real-time data is what I want to see. But when I'm away from home, I can do just fine with data that is never more than 60 seconds old.

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2021, 05:20:38 AM »

Right! I understand. When I'm home and I can see the trees bending in the wind and the rain is pelting down, real-time data is what I want to see. But when I'm away from home, I can do just fine with data that is never more than 60 seconds old.

And lest thou not forgeteth!
Whilst away frome home...
Thou yet haves't ye olde semi-reliable WU still pumping out thy rapid-fire ~5 second updates!

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2021, 09:51:07 AM »

Thou yet haves't ye olde semi-reliable WU still pumping out thy rapid-fire ~5 second updates!

But if I have a VPN set up, you get updates as often as your software will update it.  I know how to set VPN servers up on Asus routers (specifically using OpenVPN) and once you have them set up and the client programs (which both Android and iOS have available and are pretty easy to get going).  The only gotcha might be if your ISP changes IP addresses regularly.  Some do.  Mine doesn't.  I've had the same IP address now for over a year.  And even then Asus has a free DDNS service for those who have their routers and the routers will auto-update when an IP address changes.   8-)
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2021, 11:07:22 AM »

But if I have a VPN set up, you get updates as often as your software will update it.  I know how to set VPN servers up on Asus routers (specifically using OpenVPN) and once you have them set up and the client programs (which both Android and iOS have available and are pretty easy to get going).  The only gotcha might be if your ISP changes IP addresses regularly.  Some do.  Mine doesn't.  I've had the same IP address now for over a year.  And even then Asus has a free DDNS service for those who have their routers and the routers will auto-update when an IP address changes.   8-)

I need to look in to how this is done. I've never done it as I've never felt the need. I'm happy with how everything works now. But you are indicating that I could be even happier? You're saying that my phone can work like its attached to my router at home for WeatherLink Live updates even when I'm away from home?

Can this work with my current VPN on my Pixel that is already automagically supplied by Google Fi, my phone provider. Can I have multiple VPN's working at the same time?

And my apologies for the 17th century English humor. It is Sunday morning.

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2021, 12:20:31 PM »
Not all routers/gateways come out of the box with the ability to spin up a VPN server.  Many have to have customized firmware loaded to do this (mine does, the router I have is an older Asus RT-AC66U with Merlin custom firmware loaded).  I know that any device in the network has the capability to run a VPN server as long as it's always on and you clear ports for the device in the firewall.  For example.  I have a Synology NAS in my network that can run OpenVPN server software.  It's likely if you have one it can make it much simpler to spin up a VPN server for your network.  If you have it on the router it centralizes it.

Make no mistake, running and configuring a VPN server can be a little challenging, especially if you're a novice computer person (of which I most definitely am not anymore).  The Asus firmware makes it a little easier.  Set up the server, install the OpenVPN app on your phone (I have both ecosystems within my mobile network -- Android and iOS -- there are apps for both), import the client file which tells the app how to connect to the VPN and bingo.  It should work.  If you have any other router I may or may not be able to help depending on how complex the setup is.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 12:23:47 PM by BigOkie »
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2021, 01:16:45 PM »

My router is a couple of years old and covers my whole house beautifully.
It is a NetGear RBR20 Mesh with a satellite.
I have a PDF manual to study.

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2021, 01:20:11 PM »
Reading about the RBR20 initially tells me that there is a way to configure the OpenVPN server on this, so it sounds possible.

Edit:  I also found this, maybe it would help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CRKV2DfugI

Second Edit:  Found this too

https://kb.netgear.com/31489/How-do-I-use-VPN-on-my-Orbi-system-with-my-iOS-device
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 01:23:06 PM by BigOkie »
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2021, 03:08:29 PM »
It's called mediocrity. This is exactly the attitude WU wants to hear and everyone who continues to send their data there does nothing but facilitate it. IBM is laughing all the way to the bank..
you have missed my point

WU does not care that you guys are cancelling
they are much bigger than that
but you are making data for other people in your area less valuable
so where is the harm in keeping on sending your data, so that it benefits other people?

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2021, 03:22:37 PM »
Reading about the RBR20 initially tells me that there is a way to configure the OpenVPN server on this, so it sounds possible.

Edit:  I also found this, maybe it would help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CRKV2DfugI

Second Edit:  Found this too

https://kb.netgear.com/31489/How-do-I-use-VPN-on-my-Orbi-system-with-my-iOS-device

Saved to my Weather favorites folder in Microsoft Edge! Thank you!
I've been busy with Mother's Day stuff, but I plan to get to it.
You are much appreciated and I also pressed the LIKE button!

anything