Weather Software > Station Software Development

Weathersite DIY construction thread using a Pi 4b.

<< < (5/7) > >>

alaskazimm:
Again very much appreciate your time in looking into this.  =D&gt;

I've updated from the repo and added the logging command to the crontab file. I also confirmed that I have Roof Wind set as the primary anemometer for the WLL as well. Unfortunately this didn't seem to fix the issue, although Weathersite is showing the wind speed as 0 mph rather than False (wind is actually pretty light and variable at the moment). I don't know if that is a step in the right direction but it seems a hopeful sign to me.

Here is the log:

--- Code: ---Attached to WLL at 192.168.42.171
01/12/21 5:07:15 pm: Retrieving current conditions
Timezone offset is -09:00

Weathersite is online at http://192.168.42.172:5000

UDP broadcast request begins
UDP Broadcast request accepted
01/12/21 5:12:14 pm: Retrieving current conditions
current conditions reply received
starting WLL UDP refresh request
UDP request processed
01/12/21 5:17:14 pm: Retrieving current conditions
UDP request processed
01/12/21 5:22:14 pm: Retrieving current conditions
UDP request processed

--- End code ---

Sleuth255:
Wait...  I know the problem!  What's missing on your log is the problem.  The UDP server should have displayed that it was listening on port 22222 but it didn't.  Why?  because your CumulusMX server is already listening on that port.  Looks like weathersite and CumulusMX can't exist on the same server if they are both using a WLL based Weather Station since only one app can be listening on any given UDP port at a time.  I'm not sure if you can turn off UDP in cumulusMX or not.  I'll have a look at mine...

edit

nope.  It doesn't look like I can disable UDP broadcast reception on CumulusMX. 

You can test my above hypothesis by disabling the CumulusMX server temporarily then restarting weathersite, but I'm pretty certain this is your issue.  It looks like you'll need another Pi to run weathersite :(

Here's what weathersite startup should look like (METAR observations are only logged if you have METAR set up btw):

--- Code: ---Attached to WLL at 10.0.0.42
01/13/21 8:53:39 am: Retrieving current conditions
Retrieving METAR observation
Timezone offset is -06:00
UDP Server is listening at port 22222

Weathersite v1.6 is online at http://10.0.0.232:5000

METAR observation retrieved
UDP broadcast request begins
UDP Broadcast request accepted
Wind sensor array found on Device ID 1
Rain sensor array found on Device ID 1

--- End code ---

alaskazimm:
Ok, great! I happen to have another Pi on order. It shipped yesterday and should be here in a week and a half or so (being off the road system in bush Alaska mail takes a bit longer). When it gets here I'll get it set up and report back.

alaskazimm:
*Edit - never mind. I rebooted again (is that a re-reboot?). Everything seems to be working now - wind and current conditions are being displayed. The only thing I can't get to work is the forecast tab, but that's no real surprise where I'm at and there isn't anything likely to be done about it.

-------------------------------
OK, I rebooted the pi without Cumulus running and Weathersite running and the wind is working!  \:D/

Buuuut (and you had to know this was coming) the current conditions are no longer being displayed  ](*,). Aside from not starting the Cumulus server I haven't changed any of the settings. Maybe I'll just wait for the second pi to show up and hopefully running with your image will fix all ills.

Weathersite log file:

--- Code: ---Attached to WLL at 192.168.42.171
01/13/21 3:35:43 pm: Retrieving current conditions
Timezone offset is -09:00
UDP Server is listening at port 22222

Weathersite is online at http://192.168.42.172:5000

Wind sensor array found on Device ID 1
Rain sensor array found on Device ID 1
Current conditions initial request failure
01/13/21 3:40:44 pm: Retrieving current conditions
Current conditions request failure
01/13/21 3:45:44 pm: Retrieving current conditions
01/13/21 3:50:44 pm: Retrieving current conditions
01/13/21 3:55:44 pm: Retrieving current conditions

--- End code ---

Sleuth255:
"current conditions request failure": that can happen sometimes.  The problem generally goes away on the next 5 minute polling cycle.  If you let it run it should eventually show current conditions.  In your case above, it looks like everything sorted out in 10 minutes.  See Post #3 in this thread for how to get the weather tile and radar working.  You appear to be in pretty good shape for that.  There's a METAR site in Port Alsworth that you should be able to use for current weather.  Climacell is global so if you get a dev key, it'll light up forecast tiles too.  You also have good radar coverage up there both for regional and local (from a site near Kenai).  Follow the link on this in Post #3.  You should be able to light up Weathersite radar screens with very useful info.

Actually, since I was in there looking... 

Here's your zoomed in path:
https://radblast.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/radar/WUNIDS_map?num=20&type=N0R&mapx=400&mapy=240&brand=wui&delay=25&frame=0&scale=1&transx=0&transy=0&severe=0&smooth=0&centerx=400&centery=240&station=AHG&rainsnow=0&lightning=0&noclutter=1&showlabels=1&showstorms=0&rand=26844780

And here's your zoomed out path:
https://s.w-x.co/staticmaps/wu/wu/wxtype1200_cur/alask/animate.png

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version