Author Topic: Alternates to WU  (Read 1846 times)

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
Alternates to WU
« on: June 11, 2020, 08:57:39 AM »
Looking for suggestions for alternates to WU.  I stuck with them for a long time because there used to be features that I really liked.  I really liked the ability to download csv files, and the old GIF graphs.  When that went away I "screen scraped" the tables and used snagit for the graphs.  Now that's gone as well.  I would like to find an alternate preferably with the ability to get a good daily and if possible monthly graphs.  Having the ability to download data is a good secondary backup if my local file fails.

KVAMCGAH2 - Massanutten VA Davis
KVAMASSA2 -Massanutten VA Oregon Scientific
WA2ONG

Offline cmg

Re: Alternates to WU
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 10:31:04 AM »
Hi
Take a look:

https://www.awekas.at/en/

Regards

cmg

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 10:48:15 AM »
Your options are going to be a bit limited if you stay on VWS. I think all you can do is upload to WU, PWSweather (WeatherForYou/Hamweather), and CWOP, and personal website templates.

If you add the WeatherLink Live then you can pair it with other software to give you more options (to upload to more places or even to just look at the data locally). Like Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, Weather-Display, or WeeWX. Then you can continue to run VWS at the same time or not...up to you. You can even export/import your VWS database to other software.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 11:36:33 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 10:52:33 AM »
Open to anything and everything except staying with WU.  Right now I take the daily files and import them to excel, add some additional data and use them to feed summary sheets.  As long as I can find a service that displays a table of daily values and hopefully daily graphs I'd be very happy

WA2ONG

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 11:01:14 AM »
AWEKAS looks like it might be the answer I was looking for.  It gives me everything on my wish list and more.  Gonna give it a try

WA2ONG

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 12:01:10 PM »
Great. Let us know how it goes and which hardware/software station expansion options you decided on.
Tele-Pole

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 05:21:08 PM »
Speaking of Brutus (at least I think someone was), I did an experiment over the past few days.  Out of twenty separate attempts to log into my station, 17 of those attempts ended with that childish Error 404 “Brutus” message.  Three of the attempts were successful on the initial try.  Of the 17 that failed, each of them loaded immediately upon doing a refresh once the silly message appeared.

Classy!

Offline kallisti5

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 09:03:28 PM »
I've been searching for a while.  Between WU's webcam system not being maintained by the new owners, their now horrible mobile apps, and IBM doing a generally horrible job... it's time for a change.

http://windy.com has been interesting me.  The data is a little less technical than WU, but offers a *LOT* of the same kind of stuff (with better maps)

They even support weather cams... working on a solution to upload my webcam data to a webserver over FTP so I can point their site at it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 09:08:37 PM by kallisti5 »

Offline captgadget

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 11:12:20 AM »
I windy.com to be very useful!

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 12:03:57 AM »
WU is still the only game in town if rapid-fire 5 second updates are important to you and you don't want the albatross of having to maintain your own site 24/7 with a dedicated computer.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 07:42:31 AM »
WU is still the only game in town if rapid-fire 5 second updates are important to you and you don't want the albatross of having to maintain your own site 24/7 with a dedicated computer.

Well it is possible to maintain your own site without a dedicated computer. You can do so with just your Meteobridge or your Meteobridge and a website hosting plan. No dedicated computer required. Also possible with other loggers.

I would rephrase your statement to say it this way.... WU is the only game in town for live like rapidfire updates on a free weather service without spinning up your own website.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 07:47:20 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline captgadget

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 08:54:45 AM »
I also use the Meteobridge for reporting to many weather websites. Works great!

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 10:48:25 PM »

Well it is possible to maintain your own site without a dedicated computer. You can do so with just your Meteobridge or your Meteobridge and a website hosting plan. No dedicated computer required. Also possible with other loggers.

I would rephrase your statement to say it this way.... WU is the only game in town for live like rapidfire updates on a free weather service without spinning up your own website.

Very interesting!  I've maintained a personal website for my own amazement on GoDaddy for about 25 years.
With the GoDaddy plan I have, I can also have other websites I want as long as I buy and maintain a site name.
Are you saying that I can start a website, maybe named loganvillewx.com and feed it my VP2+ data in essentially real-time?
If so, how is that done? I'm very interested.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2020, 03:13:50 AM »

Very interesting!  I've maintained a personal website for my own amazement on GoDaddy for about 25 years.
With the GoDaddy plan I have, I can also have other websites I want as long as I buy and maintain a site name.
Are you saying that I can start a website, maybe named loganvillewx.com and feed it my VP2+ data in essentially real-time?
If so, how is that done? I'm very interested.

good morning and welcome to the world of data display :-)

if you have some basic understanding how running a website i.e through godaddy then yep all you need is a domain example loganvillewx.com
however I would say you can do better than go daddy and look at the hosting packages from ICDSOFT https://www.icdsoft.com they are the best for the weather enthusiast and in twenty odd years ive never experienced better and ive tried many in that time , phenomenal support realtime !! and things like https:// are free . I pay $90 a year and its worth every penny or dime and ive been paying that for nigh on 6 years give or take a few dollars ive never seen a massive increase in renewal fees or hidden unexpected renewal fees etc .

for templates your spoilt for choice and there is definitely something to suit your needs freely available .

the one I maintain and develop is specifically for meteobridge users and does not work with any other software like cumulus , weewx etc .
you can find more info here https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation/ and its evolved into a setup and forget and run 24/7 .requires only the basic knowledge of running a website to run.this template is all about live data from meteobridge with a couple of options to show additional non meteobridge supported like lightning from weatherflow, air quality from purple air,luftdaten etc.this template is not about offsite third party data its all about your data.

screenshot

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

then you have the original reliable from Ken True the person who maintains this forum his template is the original benchmark from way back how many years I don't know but is well supported and offers a vast array of different data .https://saratoga-weather.org/template/

then there is meteotemplate which has been around for a number of years its evolved and offers quite an incredible array of different weather related data and has its own forum to exchange ideas and resolve start up issues.http://meteotemplate.com .

there are others so the choice is quite good and there is no obligation in any of them you just have to find something that suits your needs/requirements.

wish you luck in finding something and its a good winter project !! ..have fun and welcome , nice to see you have a decent reliable weather station.

Brian

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 03:17:43 AM by weather34 »

Offline Depotseeli

• SwissShops.ch
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 08:43:13 AM »
Take a look at PWSweather.com [tup]

PWSweather.com is a program to bring together data from personal weather stations worldwide, display it and make it available for other purposes.
The new site not only includes PWSweather.com stations but also METAR and MADIS. Also you can select overlays for radar, satellite and alerts.

:arrow: https://pwsweather.com
Depotseeli Weather Station - http://www.depotseeli.ch