Author Topic: Webcam FTP to WU issues  (Read 7190 times)

Offline nedflanders1989

• Edina Weather
Re: Webcam FTP to WU issues
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2020, 09:40:54 PM »
Like the others that posted recently, my webcam stop uploading at 9:51AM CDT on Saturday, too.  Are we sure they're even going to fix it?  Or did the lay off the people in June that would have been able to fix it?  Nearly 2 1/2 days later, I have my doubts that it even gets fixed.

Here's a link to article regarding the layoffs in June:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/06/10/weather-company-layoffs-category-6/

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2020, 09:13:48 AM »
And this is why when my BloomSky died, I decided not to do anything at the moment.  Just not worth the hassles.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2020, 04:32:57 PM »
It's still down for me.

Offline n6ac

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2020, 07:48:30 PM »
Thank you guys for informing me that it is not my computer that has failed.
And for that link which sadly explains the underground people's terminations.
We've seen so many of the takeover-then-goodby scenarios.

Add KCARANCH61 in southern California to the "inactive" webcam list.

I was able to ftp sample image files to the server using the 'Fetch' ftp app on my Mac.
But, nothing appeared on the wu site.

Are there alternative resources to upload wx and cam to?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 07:52:11 PM by n6ac »

Offline Felix1

• PhD Engineering Physics
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2020, 04:36:34 AM »
I noticed mine came back online yesterday morning (7/14) but then back off-line again yesterday evening at ~8:30 p.m. It's definitely a problem on WU's end, my FTP software log stats continues to report 100% of scheduled uploads have been "received/acknowledged."

Offline sysop100

• N$ZKF Hone PAge
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2020, 09:29:23 AM »
Give it up guys. Your not broke they are and they don't care! It's a waste of your time. Look at a webcam in SE Florida today and it's a QR code for China!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2020, 10:43:55 AM »
I am so sorry I got an AcuRite weather station since without buying additional equipment WU is the only game in town.  As always, lesson learned the hard way.

It is a bummer too that Acurite never fixed their upload to WU so that Wind Gusts could get graphed correctly.

Acurite 5-in-1 upload to WU (no wind gusts differentiated from regular wind):
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Neighbor station with Ambient WS-2000 station (wind gusts differentiated from regular wind):
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 10:49:20 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2020, 10:52:01 AM »
That's one reason why I call it AcuWrong.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline CommonSenseAl

• Lantana Skycam
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2020, 11:29:03 AM »
Well my skycam isn't working... and one of the local news channels (KDFW) uses it occasionally when doing the weather. However, they still use some other cameras that still seem to be working. I'm not sure where they're pulling those from... maybe those webcams are also on WU but they're working and mine's not?

It came back a few days ago and now it's 'offline' again.

From all the posts here, it sounds like WU is going down.... but is there anything I can do that might make it work better? Does uploading my image to an IP address instead of domain name help? Do smaller images sizes help? Does using "image.jpg" help?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 12:40:11 PM by CommonSenseAl »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2020, 11:54:40 AM »
There is no good recommendation. Some people have better luck with FTP and some have better luck with URL webcam. Image file should be small regardless. Maximum size should be 150 KB, yes that is kilobytes!

Tele-Pole

Offline n6ac

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2020, 12:17:09 PM »
Strangely, one image loaded there late Tuesday about the time I was trying to push test FTPs in.
But trying to access by date, I see it is added to the Saturday folder.
Nothing since Saturday - kind of weird.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2020, 08:34:56 AM »
I just shut down uploading video to WU.  There seems to be no point to continuing to waste bandwidth and processor on it.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline sysop100

• N$ZKF Hone PAge
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2020, 08:39:24 AM »
Agreed, it's a waste at this point.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2020, 10:02:04 AM »
I'm pretty much fed up too.

But the only other option is to put image on some page to give Windy or AWEKAS a URL to get image from?

Am I right?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2020, 10:38:11 AM »
If you have a Meteobridge it has a free service to host your image at Meteobridge.com which you can then use to be the URL link to just about all the services.

Webcam - - > Meteobridge - - > Meteobridge.com - - > provide URL to all services.

I end up only needing to upload the image to one place (Meteobridge.com).

You have the added feature advantage of putting your live weather data text on the image.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 10:39:56 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline CommonSenseAl

• Lantana Skycam
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2020, 11:29:31 AM »

But the only other option is to put image on some page to give Windy or AWEKAS a URL to get image from?

Am I right?

I tried to join AWEKAS but couldn't figure out the weather station reporting info. I just want to add my weather cam with a URL to the current image, at least for now. Is there an easy way to add my station and skycam to AWEKAS? I have an Ambient Weather WS-1002-WIFI.

My webcam for my WU station is still offline and not working.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2020, 11:44:34 AM »
If you have a Meteobridge ..........

That's the rub. A lot of people don't.

I may be forced to shell out the like 500 beans for a Nano and toss the WFL in the trash I suppose. ](*,)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2020, 12:16:24 PM »

I may be forced to shell out the like 500 beans for a Nano and toss the WFL in the trash I suppose. ](*,)

There is a cheaper option than the NANO, for those that already have a logger.

Get a regular Meteobridge standard. I recommend the one from Ambient as that one will also let you upload to Ambientweather.net and it has a decent price. Then your WFL feeds the Meteobridge. Ambient now ships worldwide. Ambient calls their Meteobridge by the name WeatherBridge. It's the same thing.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 12:18:05 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2020, 12:22:10 PM »

Am I right?

I tried to join AWEKAS but couldn't figure out the weather station reporting info. I just want to add my weather cam with a URL to the current image, at least for now. Is there an easy way to add my station and skycam to AWEKAS? I have an Ambient Weather WS-1002-WIFI.

My webcam for my WU station is still offline and not working.

The best solution for you to upload to AWEKAS is for you to add the Ecowitt GW1000 to your station. The GW1000 will pick up your WS-1002 sensors. The GW1000 can then directly upload to AWEKAS with its "Customized" server upload feature. You'll also gain the ability to upload to several other places like MetOffice WOW and most importantly Ecowitt.net. You can then also further expand if you want run a multitude of other 3rd party weather software and alow you to do much much more, with options like; Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, Weather-Display, and WeeWX. The Ecowitt GW1000 is pretty reasonable expense and totally worth it. Everything I've mentioned is simple and easy. Still stuck? I'll answer questions as will other members here.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 12:26:20 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline CommonSenseAl

• Lantana Skycam
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2020, 03:31:24 PM »
The best solution for you to upload to AWEKAS is for you to add the Ecowitt GW1000 to your station. The GW1000 will pick up your WS-1002 sensors. The GW1000 can then directly upload to AWEKAS with its "Customized" server upload feature. You'll also gain the ability to upload to several other places like MetOffice WOW and most importantly Ecowitt.net. You can then also further expand if you want run a multitude of other 3rd party weather software and alow you to do much much more, with options like; Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, Weather-Display, and WeeWX. The Ecowitt GW1000 is pretty reasonable expense and totally worth it. Everything I've mentioned is simple and easy. Still stuck? I'll answer questions as will other members here.

Wow... that sounds very interesting.... and it's only $36? Is this the right device?
https://www.amazon.com/ECOWITT-Gateway-Temperature-Humidity-Pressure/dp/B07JLRFG24/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2020, 04:05:19 PM »

Wow... that sounds very interesting.... and it's only $36? Is this the right device?
https://www.amazon.com/ECOWITT-Gateway-Temperature-Humidity-Pressure/dp/B07JLRFG24/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

Yes, that is it. But don't forget to check on the "save 5%" making it $34.19. This one you linked on the US Amazon site is the right one to be compatible with Ambient branded station sensors since they are all 915 MHz.

Tele-Pole

Offline CommonSenseAl

• Lantana Skycam
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2020, 04:27:39 PM »
Yes, that is it. But don't forget to check on the "save 5%" making it $34.19. This one you linked on the US Amazon site is the right one to be compatible with Ambient branded station sensors since they are all 915 MHz.

Thanks! I ordered the package with the sensor... I wouldn't mind tracking the temperature in my attic as well... and of course I clicked on the 5% off coupon.

Should be here on Sunday.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2020, 07:30:03 PM »

Get a regular Meteobridge standard. I recommend the one from Ambient as that one will also let you upload to Ambientweather.net and it has a decent price. Then your WFL feeds the Meteobridge. Ambient now ships worldwide. Ambient calls their Meteobridge by the name WeatherBridge. It's the same thing.

So it goes WiFi from WFL to Weatherbridge?

Then you would have all the other upload activity from WFL still active?

And the Bridge is now your main upload device. Purchase of device covers license to upload to site?

Might just be worth the 150

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2020, 07:49:11 PM »

So it goes WiFi from WFL to Weatherbridge?

Then you would have all the other upload activity from WFL still active?

And the Bridge is now your main upload device. Purchase of device covers license to upload to site?

Might just be worth the 150

Yes to all your questions. Except it is up to you to decide which device uploads to whichever service. Do not upload to same service with both devices at the same time. You could though upload to two different WU IDs for example.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 07:53:49 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34