Author Topic: WU User contact info  (Read 611 times)

Offline WVZR-1

WU User contact info
« on: November 29, 2019, 08:46:33 AM »
Is there an easy way to contact a weather station user through WU?

User uses BloomSky it seems and they're very near a Niece but the posted Lat/Long they mention is in her 'back yard' pretty much. She has no neighbors close at all. Just trying to advise Niece what's going on.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 09:12:38 AM by WVZR-1 »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: WU User contact info
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 08:55:15 AM »
In WU there is the Comments tab powered by Disqus but there is no guarantee that they would see it.

You can also look to see if they are also on CWOP. If so then you can email them directly.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 08:59:00 AM »
You can also try and post an open letter here on this forum in this very thread. If you use their station ID maybe they will at some point Google their WU ID and stumble on this thread. I've seen this happen before and it worked. It was quite amusing too.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 09:00:53 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline WVZR-1

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 09:21:46 AM »
You can also try and post an open letter here on this forum in this very thread. If you use their station ID maybe they will at some point Google their WU ID and stumble on this thread. I've seen this happen before and it worked. It was quite amusing too.

I saw the comment tab but didn't know it's intentions. I didn't find the station ID using CWOP  search.

Something like this:  KNYNEWKI2 where are you? i did add a comment on the WU.

Is anyone familiar with BloomSky product etc?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 09:39:48 AM by WVZR-1 »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 11:21:11 AM »
Well you should leave a comment on the Disqus system just to cover all the basis. But what would you say? "Hey your station is in the wrong place." They can't move it without loosing all history. Weather Underground does not let you move a station. You have to create a new instance with new WU ID. This station KNYNEWKI2 has been there since April 2017. I suppose it is up to the station owner what to do after being notified.

I think some people purposefully put their station in the wrong place. I think perhaps they don't want to put a bulls eye on themselves for whatever reason. I'm sure other people put their station in the wrong place because of lack of knowledge. It's too bad that integrated GPS can't be part of the hardware in owning a weather station. But for something that doesn't move it is a wasted expense. Maybe the registration process could be changed to require a mobile device and then the location is pulled by the smart phone during the registration process.

And being a Bloomsky versus any other brand makes no difference. Everyone creates their WU station ID the exact same way on WU's website.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 11:29:11 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline WVZR-1

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 02:06:40 PM »
Purposely 'misplacing' I believe I might understand but does seem silly. After mentioning this to her, she believes her husband recalling a neighbor mentioned a weather station & camera an acquaintance installed. It's certainly 'not where WU thinks it is'  but I'll email her explaining the issues with 'moving/relocating' could create. she'll pass that on to him I'm sure.

i sent her the location map, so she I believe can explain. Picture/image should be worth 1000+ wordy explanation. LOL

Until today I had never heard of BloomSky.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 02:08:38 PM by WVZR-1 »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 09:58:04 PM »
Yes I agree that purposefully misplacing a station does sound silly, but for some people they just want to be able to see their station remotely when they aren't home. These are selfish people that don't want to put the station in the right place on the map because they just don't care about the map and about helping others with their data and they are okay with providing garbage information to the world. I say garbage because if the station is not in the right place then the data is useless for where it shows on the map.
Tele-Pole

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 10:58:45 PM »
Some people simply don't zoom in enough on a map to make their location placement accurate.

Rich K.
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline WVZR-1

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 07:48:16 AM »
Yes I agree that purposefully misplacing a station does sound silly, but for some people they just want to be able to see their station remotely when they aren't home. These are selfish people that don't want to put the station in the right place on the map because they just don't care about the map and about helping others with their data and they are okay with providing garbage information to the world. I say garbage because if the station is not in the right place then the data is useless for where it shows on the map.

I removed the comments on the User's WU page just because of the nuisance it could create for relocation. My Niece knows that it's at least in the 'neighborhood' (very small hamlet) and I'll see where she goes with that. I used the WU info and her location from an iPhone app 'JUST MY LOCATION'. The APP does just address (I guess if known), elevation, lat/long on the screen. Nothing else. For me it displayed address, she didn't pass on to me anything other than lat/long. She maybe didn't even use the same app. Lat/long put the marker 'center of her roof' so I'm good with that. When I did my RainWise a few years ago I used a Garmin GPS.

I used this calculator because it has a very easy to use map viewer. I thought that would help my Niece tremendously. I had used I believe the NOAA.gov previously just to do distance.

https://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong.html
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 07:52:54 AM by WVZR-1 »