Author Topic: 40 frames of time lapse radar....no mas?  (Read 899 times)

Offline dodge

40 frames of time lapse radar....no mas?
« on: June 25, 2019, 02:51:08 PM »
Have tried changing password...deleting cookies etc. When logged in, 12 frames is the max even though 40 frames shows up in the pull down option window. Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated!
gigem

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: 40 frames of time lapse radar....no mas?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 03:30:25 PM »
Forget WU. I use this, and loaded 200 frames for you from Ft. Polk, LA. Pick what you want.

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=POE-N0Q-1-200

Offline arbkab

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 07:02:31 PM »
I think it has to do with the operating system on your machine. On my home PC (using Windows 10 Home), I have the same issue regardless of browser. At work, using a business version of Windows 10, it loads all frames up to the 40 max regardless of browser. Beats me how to resolve it. With WU now, I'm not holding my breath for any fix, much less one soon.

[edit]...low and behold, it looks like they changed the url for the radar to get the full 40 frames. Try this: go to the main header and under 'Maps & Radar', choose 'Radar Maps'. Then click on the area of the map you're interested in. The map should zoom in to that area and have radar icons where stations are. Click the icon you're interested in and try that. If it works, see if the url is different from the one you've been trying. Good luck, it seemed to work for me.

[edit #2]: doesn't seem to work for high definition radar though...

[edit #3] (sorry for all the edits): it looks like maybe it's only fixed for some radars. The one I use most seems to be fixed (other than high def) but I randomly chose some other radars nearby and they still seem to be stuck on 12 frames max. Beats me what's going on.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 07:26:40 PM by arbkab »

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 09:53:57 PM »
I reported this to WU when they were still around here pretending to "help" and got a "we don't see that happening" answer.

Here's what I get...(For example), if I load a saved bookmark in Firefox I end up with 12 even though the parameter in the URL clearly says "40".  If I load the same URL in Edge (or Chrome) I get 40.  THEN...if I copy one of those and paste it into Firefox I get 40 UNTIL the page updates, then it goes to 12.  Same thing happens on Edge and Chrome.  BUT!  If you hit the "back" button you'll get the updated radar map AND 40 frames until you hit reload and then it goes to 12 IF the radar map has in fact updated since it was last loaded.  Sometimes.

I have not done extensive troubleshooting on this (because, why?) but it appears to not be consistent.  If you save a bookmark while it is in "40" mode sometimes it'll load in 40 mode later.  If you save it in 12 it'll load in 12.  Their cookie management is horridly broken.  If I had to guess I would say this is related to their still-mucked-up login system.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 09:59:02 PM by WSWeather »

Offline dodge

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 12:34:44 PM »
Forget WU. I use this, and loaded 200 frames for you from Ft. Polk, LA. Pick what you want.

Indeed...much better, thanks!

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 06:15:45 PM »

Indeed...much better, thanks!

My tax dollars at work. :)

anything