Author Topic: I strongly dislike the new WU Android app.  (Read 2216 times)

Offline WxFox

• Northern Androscoggin Weather
  • Happiness is having my toes in the warm sand.
    • Northern Androscoggin County Weather
I strongly dislike the new WU Android app.
« on: March 02, 2016, 12:53:15 PM »
A while back I got the update for the WU Android app and after seeing it, I uninstalled it and reinstalled the older version which I had saved (4.2 I believe). The new app is completely different; I hate the style, the layout and the lack of convenience and ease of use that the old one had. However, now instead of using the "Update All" button to let all my apps update, I must update each one individually (a real pain in the butt) in order to prevent the WU app from updating. The new version also reminds me somewhat of the WeatherBug app, which I also dislike. I posted a comment on the WU site in the suggestions, so if anyone else thinks the old one was better and happens to see it, please upvote my suggestion to revert to the old style. If any WU staff are on this forum, please take note. I really liked the old WU Android app; it's been my favorite of all weather apps but I dislike the new version. :evil:
Davis VP2 (cabled) Uploading to PWS, Weather Underground, Weathercloud, WOW, WeatherBug, AWEKAS and Twitter, using Cumulus.  Cabled = fewer problems, less maintenance and better reliability!

Northern Androscoggin Weather:
http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011/index.php
Mobile friendly: http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011//iCumulus/#_home
CWOP AV346

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: I strongly dislike the new WU Android app.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 01:00:55 PM »
You mean like the "material" design style?

Offline WxFox

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 01:22:02 PM »
I mean all of it. Style, layout, method of use/access, everything. IMO the old app was perfect in every way and I'm staying with it.
Davis VP2 (cabled) Uploading to PWS, Weather Underground, Weathercloud, WOW, WeatherBug, AWEKAS and Twitter, using Cumulus.  Cabled = fewer problems, less maintenance and better reliability!

CWOP AV346

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 01:37:43 PM »
This is subjective, I prefer the new design and look much more

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 04:58:47 PM »
You can stop individual apps from updating. In Google Play find the WU App and open the app page. Touch the 3 dots in the upper right side and uncheck auto update.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 05:17:14 PM »
I dont think this is what he meant.

When you have auto-updates on, the app basically updates automatically when new version is detected. I have this option off globally.

When you then have updates manual, what you do is you go to Google Play and there you have the list of apps that have updates available. And you can either go to each one and update them one by one, or at the top you can click update all - so the update updates everything, but it is triggered manually. This is what I use all the time.

However in this case, since he does not want just one single app to update at all, during the manual updating he has to go through each one and update each manually.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 09:11:13 PM »
I agree about the app design and content.
They have such a wealth of data at their disposal but they blew it.
I occasionally download it to see if any improvements were made, then uninstall it.
The wX app that posted here a couple days ago is a real keeper though.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=joshuatee.wx&hl=en
That one app has replaced several apps that I had.
Granted, its mostly links from other sites but the way it's laid out is pretty good.
It even has L2 data. Something the original WU app had but they disco'd in the new one.

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 09:16:19 PM »

Even if you have auto update on you can disable individual apps from updating.

Offline WxFox

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 02:22:32 AM »

I occasionally download it to see if any improvements were made, then uninstall it.
Granted, its mostly links from other sites but the way it's laid out is pretty good.
It even has L2 data. Something the original WU app had but they disco'd in the new one.
  Yeah they really messed up a fine app and it stinks. No reason for it either. They took the things that I most despise about the WeatherBug app and put it into the WU app. I don't want fancy colors, fancy layouts, "cool" features, addons, gimcracks, things not strictly related to weather DATA, or any of that crap. I want a minimalist utilitarian weather app with a simple black background that shows me weather data, all of it and all in one place and I don't see why any serious weather person would want anything else. I hate anything flashy, animated (other than radar) or with a mess of colors, on ANY app. Straight and simple for me please.

CWOP AV346

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 12:42:07 PM »

Yeah they really messed up a fine app and it stinks. No reason for it either. They took the things that I most despise about the WeatherBug app and put it into the WU app. I don't want fancy colors, fancy layouts, "cool" features, addons, gimcracks, things not strictly related to weather DATA, or any of that crap. I want a minimalist utilitarian weather app with a simple black background that shows me weather data, all of it and all in one place and I don't see why any serious weather person would want anything else. I hate anything flashy, animated (other than radar) or with a mess of colors, on ANY app. Straight and simple for me please.
I agree with WXfox. I can't stand the new app either. Wunderground is an example of fixing what isn't broke. The new app they took away the WX cameras and on the map I can't find a way to get it to display cities and roads. Also, since the update, the app crashes on a regular basis. Main page, the wind direction indicator is reversed. To make matters worse, William is very airheaded when I complain he tries to explain the app rather than acknowledge the issue and make efforts to fix it. It's funny, back in September I sent them an email after getting that survey about the new app. I knew they were going to dumb it down.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 01:38:19 PM by Skywatch »
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Eno

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 10:21:43 AM »
I think I will unistall it also, because it doesn't display webcams as far as I can tell (Galaxy S5, Android 6.0.1).  I'll keep looking at WU on the website so I can see my webcam, but for my main wx app I still prefer eWeather HD.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 05:50:37 PM »
WU app is not the only one that sucks though, a friend of mine has recently shown me the official NOAA app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apalon.weatherradar.free&hl=en

and I must say I was very disappointed with it. The data was very inaccurate, the radar images were completely off. It showed absolutely clear for my entire country and it was just raining heavily, so it was not even close to reality and same this a few days later when I met him, we looked again and it was way off

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 07:57:17 PM »
Jachym that is not an official NOAA App. They may say it is but it's not.
NOAA is part of the United States Department of Commerce. They would not 
offer radar or forecast's for Europe.
While NOAA's research is worldwide I'm pretty sure they only offer current weather data for US Territories.
I know they do have world wide modeling, ocean conditions like el nino and la nina, and other data.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 08:05:16 PM by ocala »

Offline cjohlandt

• Cedar Ridge Weather
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 09:15:52 PM »
Jachym that is not an official NOAA App. They may say it is but it's not.
NOAA is part of the United States Department of Commerce. They would not 
offer radar or forecast's for Europe.
While NOAA's research is worldwide I'm pretty sure they only offer current weather data for US Territories.
I know they do have world wide modeling, ocean conditions like el nino and la nina, and other data.
If you read the full info page for the app, you'll see that it's made by a company in Dublin Ireland.  I saw this app a while ago and almost installed before reading the complete page.  NOAA has put most if their efforts into making their web sites mobile friendly instead of creating apps.

-Chris

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus Wireless, WeatherLink Live
WXM WiFi (identical to Ecowitt WS69), Ecowitt GW2000
PurpleAir PA-II

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 09:25:40 PM »
I see....

I dont have a smartphone or tablet, so I never really had time to look at this closely enough, but I know there are millions of weather apps... one that I know and like is Palmary Weather.

anything