Author Topic: Wunderground webcam issues?  (Read 13240 times)

Offline superdudegta

• MT WX Watcher
Re: Wunderground webcam issues?
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2013, 11:14:43 AM »
I agree, its weird about the 403 day thing and the time issue. I do know that Wunderground has been really screwing with the webcams causing people uneeded headaches. I just hope that they get their act together and notify us the next time when they make changes.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 11:32:25 AM »
I'm about over it.  I am going to try to study some this weekend and try to learn how to send an image to my website directly.  It can't be all that hard.  I just have to figure it out.  I guess I can ftp it to my site with not too much more difficulty than ftp'ing it to WU.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2013, 02:32:53 PM »
I ran into the problem of not being able to edit the webcam info.   ](*,)

So I added a webcam to FTP the new Foscam to WU and that didn't work so well, either.

So I figured out how to FTP my cams to my website!   =D> \:D/  They're just images that update every minute or so for now, but it's a start.

So I went back to WU and created two more webcams that use the URL method for my two stations.  At last check, they were pending approval.  If it works, good.  If  it doesn't work, that's good, too.  I'm tired of messing around with WU.

I want to thank all the help y'all gave as far as getting a static IP and FTP'ing and stuff.  And I want to thank DanS again for the neat graphic (although I've switched to Hughesnet as a primary ISP and use dialup as a backup).

It's not a fancy website, and I've got a lot to do with it yet.  But it's better than it was.

http://www.wattsbarweather.net
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline superdudegta

• MT WX Watcher
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2013, 06:21:59 PM »
I got some good news!  I can now view my archived videos again on wunderground! I thought they were gone forever but I thought I would let you all know that their back.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 01:37:51 PM »
I ran into the problem of not being able to edit the webcam info.   ](*,)

So I added a webcam to FTP the new Foscam to WU and that didn't work so well, either.

So I figured out how to FTP my cams to my website!   =D> \:D/  They're just images that update every minute or so for now, but it's a start.

So I went back to WU and created two more webcams that use the URL method for my two stations.  At last check, they were pending approval.  If it works, good.  If  it doesn't work, that's good, too.  I'm tired of messing around with WU.

I want to thank all the help y'all gave as far as getting a static IP and FTP'ing and stuff.  And I want to thank DanS again for the neat graphic (although I've switched to Hughesnet as a primary ISP and use dialup as a backup).

It's not a fancy website, and I've got a lot to do with it yet.  But it's better than it was.

I just wanted to update this post with some additional info.

I had been having trouble with intermittent reception from the foscam webaam.  It would come and go and wasn't dependable.  I looked at getting a better antenna for the camera, but all the user reviews were bad.  So I ended up getting a repeater-type gizmo for my router.  I have installed it in the end of the house where the webcam is and the signal hasn't dropped once, and the signal for using a laptop on that end of the house is excellent.  I got it going this morning (basically a plug and play using the installation CD).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077BB3VA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, both webcams are showing up on WU now using the URL from my webpage.  But the video loop isn't really great.  Perhaps it will improve over time (yeahright   :roll:  )
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:39:24 PM by SlowModem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2013, 07:00:06 PM »
I ran into the problem of not being able to edit the webcam info.   ](*,)

So I figured out how to FTP my cams to my website!   =D> \:D/  They're just images that update every minute or so for now, but it's a start.

So I went back to WU and created two more webcams that use the URL method for my two stations.  At last check, they were pending approval.  If it works, good.  If  it doesn't work, that's good, too.  I'm tired of messing around with WU.

I want to thank all the help y'all gave as far as getting a static IP and FTP'ing and stuff.  And I want to thank DanS again for the neat graphic (although I've switched to Hughesnet as a primary ISP and use dialup as a backup).

It's not a fancy website, and I've got a lot to do with it yet.  But it's better than it was.

I just wanted to update this post with some additional info.

I had been having trouble with intermittent reception from the foscam webaam.  It would come and go and wasn't dependable.  I looked at getting a better antenna for the camera, but all the user reviews were bad.  So I ended up getting a repeater-type gizmo for my router.  I have installed it in the end of the house where the webcam is and the signal hasn't dropped once, and the signal for using a laptop on that end of the house is excellent.  I got it going this morning (basically a plug and play using the installation CD).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077BB3VA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, both webcams are showing up on WU now using the URL from my webpage.  But the video loop isn't really great.  Perhaps it will improve over time (yeahright   :roll:  )

And the beat goes on!! BOTH of my web cameras on WU show as "inactive" when I know full well they are not. I have them pulling the image direct from the http but that doesn't seem to matter. You know, I wonder if WU is one of those monsters that it about to eat its self... self destruct in other words???

Don in Ohio

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2013, 08:21:04 AM »
And the beat goes on!! BOTH of my web cameras on WU show as "inactive" when I know full well they are not. I have them pulling the image direct from the http but that doesn't seem to matter. You know, I wonder if WU is one of those monsters that it about to eat its self... self destruct in other words???
Don in Ohio
Yep... the condiments are on the side, the grill is lit, they're just looking for the tongs.  Wonder how thankful they'd be if we all just pulled off? I personally don't give a hoot about the cams, since I've got a better set-up on my site, but I do care about WxRadio streams, even though I could zip my local up to my site in a jiffy... it's the handful of external NWS WxRadio stations I want available. The scripts Ken et.al. built pull the warnings, my VWS gives me local, and I'm fiddling with WxMsg for FB, et. al.

Why the hell do we need Wunderground??? I think they've outlived their purpose since selling out to WxChn and NBC, etc. Why don't we all pick a date, and pull the plug completely? Let  'em get their freebies somewhere else???
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 08:27:02 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2013, 09:53:21 AM »
Why the hell do we need Wunderground??? I think they've outlived their purpose since selling out to WxChn and NBC, etc. Why don't we all pick a date, and pull the plug completely? Let  'em get their freebies somewhere else???

I'd do it in a heart beat IF I could have the same thing on my two stations that WU provides, and that is a "Rapid fire" update system. Someone on the boards the other day said they didn't see the use for weather data updating that often. I beg to differ! What about all of those wind speeds, gusts in storms, pressure spikes or drops that take place in a matter of minutes during Thunderstorms that many of us have noticed? Yea, frequent updates is very important in my opinion.

Don in Ohio
www.ohiowx.com

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2013, 11:20:55 AM »
Well. IMHO it is WEATHER Underground, not WEBCAM Underground, the webcams are a very nice feature to have in addition to the weather conditions, but they are not essential.

I've had my webcam image disappear, and I've had old images shown for hours on end. So... YES, it's not perfect, but what is? I just blame it on growing pains (at least you're not trying to purchase Health Insurance!).

Certainly not something which would make me "pull the plug".
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2013, 11:52:56 AM »
Well. IMHO it is WEATHER Underground, not WEBCAM Underground, the webcams are a very nice feature to have in addition to the weather conditions, but they are not essential.
I totally agree with your point... and I've had zero issues with my stuff there. From observing all the postings, however, I think my point is that as they're going more 'commercial' and 'paid service' oriented, it would appear that they have, so far, demonstrated both in 'un-notified' modifications and erratic 'criteria', and in responsiveness, that they've gone 'beyond' the original community sharing, if you will.
,,, and my response
Why the hell do we need Wunderground??? I think they've outlived their purpose since selling out to WxChn and NBC, etc. Why don't we all pick a date, and pull the plug completely? Let  'em get their freebies somewhere else???
was about half serious, and half tongue in cheek...

anything