Weather Station Hardware > Blitzortung

Blitzortung Documentation & Build Instructions -REVISED Oct 13, 2014 5:04 pm PT

<< < (23/24) > >>

W3DRM:

--- Quote from: SLOweather on January 14, 2015, 01:51:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: jrm30655 on January 13, 2015, 11:08:01 PM ---
2. Clean the boards both sides before starting.  IPA can be used, I use something called "switch contact cleaner".  Make sure it is dry before starting.

--- End quote ---

IPA= IsoPropyl Alcohol, not India Pale Ale, which was the first thing that popped into my head. :)

--- End quote ---

I've used DNA (DeNatured Alcohol) for years. IPA and DNA have different chemical makeup. My dad used it for cleaning solder joints on old vacuum tube radios and transmitters. That's probably why I continued with DNA...

jrm30655:
I live in Mexico and you can get IPA in 70% and 90%.  I use the 90% if I can find it.

I've seen some fluxes that claim to be water soluble but haven't tried any yet.

Living in MX presents some interesting challenges.  Almost all my supplies comes from the US or China.  Imagine what the customs people think when they see a needle full of solder paste ot flux.

corwyyn:

--- Quote from: jrm30655 on January 14, 2015, 02:16:49 PM ---I live in Mexico and you can get IPA in 70% and 90%.  I use the 90% if I can find it.

--- End quote ---
I went down to my local Fry's electronics and purchased a 32oz bottle of 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol for my electronics projects.  I think the bottle was $7 or $8 but I figured it would be around a while, still have about 90% in the bottle after everything I've done so far.

Silversword:
Hi All,

Anyone has a comment for the use of Acetone for cleaning flux after all the components have been soldered before mounting the board in a container.

I have been doing that for a while.  Cleaning off the flux after soldering is a good way to check for good/bad soldering.

--Stan Y.
   Maui, Hawaii

jrm30655:
Acetone seems pretty harsh.  It might remove markings on the parts. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version