Author Topic: Vantage POro2 stopped transmitting  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Bohaiboy

Vantage POro2 stopped transmitting
« on: March 13, 2021, 01:25:57 PM »
So when I woke this morning, I was getting no data.  Apparently went offline about 650AM.  Tried reloading, nothing.  Went out to the external unit and the solar panel had been blown off.  I suppose I did not secure it properly.  I reconnected wiring (was a little damp) and tried downloading again.  Nothing.  Suspected barttery outside may have been drained.  Replaced battery and made sure solar panel was connected properly.  I am still not getting a signal from the outside unit.  Any suggestions or tips appreciated.  TIA.

BTW, just rebooted by disconnecting power still no connection.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 01:30:57 PM by Bohaiboy »

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Re: Vantage POro2 stopped transmitting
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 01:33:03 PM »
Just a possibility but if the circuit board got wet that might be the issue.
Have never heard of the SP getting blown off. 

Offline Bohaiboy

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 03:18:14 PM »
I had to change my anemometer a few weeks back and probably didn’t secure the SP properly and it worked it’s way off with some high winds we have had recently

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 03:36:38 PM »
Well looks like a $150 mistake. Sorry to hear that this happened. You can order a replacement ISS PCB from Scaled Instruments.

Looks like for the wireless VP2 it is one of these part numbers. I don't know which you should get. Reach out to Scaled Instruments for clarification. Or maybe some other forum VP2 guru knows the difference and if you can use either one or not:

for the wireless VP2 ISS:
7345.951 (This one says that it is the newer 2016 version)
7345.976 (This looks like the original version)

For the cabled version of the VP2 ISS:
7345.977  (original ..see johnd post below for new part #)

But double check to be sure which you can use.

EDIT: had typo in part #. Now fixed.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 04:19:36 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 03:51:10 PM »
Before throwing in the towel, you may want to try some electrical cleaner on the board first. I was hosing down my ISS several years ago with the at that time, old, severely cracked panel door and got the inside wet and made my rain go berserk. After cleaning, all came back just fine. GL.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 03:52:10 PM »
Well, before writing off the SIM board I would:

1. Detach the board (on its backplate) from the ISS and bring it indoors to dry out thoroughly for at least a day or two. Or if it's easier bring the whole ISS indoors.

2. (If wireless): Flick the DIP switches back and forth before resetting on your normal channel (presumably #1). It's just possible that the board is transmitting on a different channel.

for the wireless VP2 ISS:
7342.951 (This one says that it is the newer 2016 version)
7342.976 (This looks like the original version)

For the cabled version of the VP2 ISS:

Not sure where the 7342 part of the number is coming from.

Wireless (US) post 2016 is 7345.951

Cabled post 2016 is 7345.950

I doubt that there are any pre-2016 parts readily available. Post 2016 is fine with a pre 2016 ISS but don't forget the temperature offset.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 03:54:23 PM »
So when I woke this morning, I was getting no data.  Apparently went offline about 650AM.  Tried reloading, nothing.  Went out to the external unit and the solar panel had been blown off.  I suppose I did not secure it properly.  I reconnected wiring (was a little damp) and tried downloading again.  Nothing.  Suspected barttery outside may have been drained.  Replaced battery and made sure solar panel was connected properly.  I am still not getting a signal from the outside unit.  Any suggestions or tips appreciated.  TIA.
Assuming it's wireless:
The first question would be - is the transmit light on the circuit board blinking?  What happens if you flip the "test" switch on the channel-selection board?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 04:29:24 PM by dalecoy »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 04:14:58 PM »
Not sure where the 7342 part of the number is coming from.

Oops...mistake on reading the part # on my part...saw the 5 as a 2. Thank you for catching. I've edited my response.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 04:17:54 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 04:11:41 PM »

This happened to me once last year.  The solar panel blew off the ISS housing during a mild rain shower.  I dried off the inside as best I could (by putting the solar panel back on until I got a chance to take it off again and allowed the sun to dry it).  I put the solar panel back on after I sun dried the inside of the ISS.  It took about four hours but it finally kicked back on.  The solar panel and cover had gotten so old and brittle it was pretty easy to come off with a pretty good gust of wind.  I ordered a replacement panel/cover (ScaledInstruments again for the win) and sofar everything is back to normal.  I've had my Davis now since May 2013 and should probably consider sending it in for a refurb but sofar it's still working.  The external plastic parts are starting to get weathered looking and sure I could use with some updated sensors and the like.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 05:52:54 PM »

I've had my Davis now since May 2013 and should probably consider sending it in for a refurb but sofar it's still working.  The external plastic parts are starting to get weathered looking and sure I could use with some updated sensors and the like.
I'd just order what you need from Ryan, he most likely has every part you'll need and save yourself alota change vs Davis refurb.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 09:02:01 PM »

Assuming it's wireless:
The first question would be - is the transmit light on the circuit board blinking?  What happens if you flip the "test" switch on the channel-selection board?

I'm still curious about this.

Offline Bohaiboy

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 09:29:53 PM »
So it appears things dried out on their on without taking the unit down.  The temp humidity started working first but it took the wind quite a few hours to start again.  We haven't had rain so not sure if it is working or not.  Thanks for all of the tips and suggestions.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2021, 09:34:09 PM »
So it appears things dried out on their on without taking the unit down.  The temp humidity started working first but it took the wind quite a few hours to start again.  We haven't had rain so not sure if it is working or not.  Thanks for all of the tips and suggestions.
I'm betting you'll be fine. One thing about a VP2, it's a very robust design.

anything