Author Topic: New for 2020 - OEM Davis Sonic Anemometer  (Read 6011 times)

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
New for 2020 - OEM Davis Sonic Anemometer
« on: December 16, 2019, 04:52:33 PM »
Davis just released the new edition of their 2020 catalog.  It appears they are now making a sonic anemometer.  Model number 6415, but I don't know the specifications yet.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: New for 2020 - OEM Davis Sonic Anemometer
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 05:04:49 PM »
Ryan, pretty sure that it's the LCJ one - it looks identical as far as one can judge from a picture. So Davis must have done a deal with LCJ to buy in quantity I guess. This is the one we've been selling for a year or two now - details at:

https://www.weatherstations.co.uk/lcj-ultrasonic-anemometer.htm

Since the 2020 catalogue has been mentioned: A couple of other interesting new products (eg a WLL-type product for EM), though more so for the ag market perhaps. But no other major new launches and - unsurprisingly - no VP3 or anything comparable. A sprinkling of price rises but overall perhaps averaging just 3% or so AFAICS at a quick glance.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 05:14:49 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 05:36:15 PM »
Hey John, Indeed your right from what I can tell they look identical.  I am pinging Davis for comment, but I have a hunch you are correct.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 06:02:16 PM »
Since the 2020 catalogue has been mentioned: A couple of other interesting new products [...] But no other major new launches and - unsurprisingly - no VP3 or anything comparable.
Oh bummer. So why do you say unsurprisingly no VP3? If Davis were to announce a new product like a VP3 would this yearly catalog release around this time be the way to announce it? How was the WLL announced? If there are typically no announcements outside of the catalog release this would mean no VP3 for another year yet? Or does Davis do new product announcements at other times of the year? Or could it just happen whenever?

With some companies new devices are often at certain know timed yearly events like: CES, MWC (Mobiles World Congress), Google IO, Apple September Event....etc. Just wondering what Davis would do.

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 06:12:51 PM »
Davis just released the new edition of their 2020 catalog.  It appears they are now making a sonic anemometer.  Model number 6415, but I don't know the specifications yet.

Where is the catalog available on their site?

Sonic anemometer is interesting but too bad not heated. Would consider one as a future add on to have a backup when traditional one ices up in freezing rain we get. But no point if not heated, and not sure how well this will do in the rain looking at it.

Do they have AC 24 FARS avail this year?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 07:08:05 PM »
Do they have AC 24 FARS avail this year?
Even if they did (which they won't), you'd be throwing money out the window when you can easily do it yourself for less than 20 bucks, and almost surely be a higher quality fan than they'd provide.

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 07:26:18 PM »
Agreed. Just curious what new things they came out with as dont see catalog on their site yet,

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 07:46:55 PM »
Davis has not posted the 2020 catalog to their website yet apparently.  Here is a link to the 2020 Catalog:
https://srv-file7.gofile.io/download/cS9MiA/PR55_2020_Catalog_US.pdf

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 08:13:09 PM »
Link says not authorized to download.  :-(

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 08:18:08 PM »
Link says not authorized to download.  :-(
Ahhh... That is probably because I don't know what the heck I am doing  \:D/.  Sorry about that.  Any suggestions where to easily post and link?

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 08:48:47 PM »
I guess this means than no major product launches this year in addition to the items in the 2020 catalog?
Is this how Davis does major launches if they were to say come out with new version of VP2 with changes only during catalog, or do they do special product launches sometimes during the year?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 03:56:27 AM »
Oh bummer. So why do you say unsurprisingly no VP3?

Because - while I'm always prepared to be proved wrong, but as I've consistently said here - I've not picked up any signs whatsoever that a 'VP3' is pending, or even on the launch roadmap for the next year or two (though Davis are pretty good at keeping early stage products very quiet). Apart from anything else, it's not at all clear to me what would be different about a VP3 from a VP2 - especially now that the tipping spoon rain gauge and (ultra)sonic anemometer are available for the VP2. I know there are some folk that would like 'real' I2C for the T/H, but for maybe 95% of Davis buyers it's not an issue. There is the console question of course, but right now and as we've often discussed here it may be that a software/tablet + WLL solution turns out to be the answer here. TBH I'm more concerned about the lack of an inexpensive LoRa gateway, but this is probably more of a US vs Europe thing (in their take-up of LoRa technology I mean).

I guess this means than no major product launches this year in addition to the items in the 2020 catalog?

It's unlikely, though not totally unknown. And I wouldn't worry too much about the 2020 catalogue not being public yet, though I dare so someone will post a link before long. Other than a new (undated AFAICS, which is interesting) front cover, it's very much like the 2019 one. And the headline new products are all mentioned in this thread.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 05:25:21 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 07:35:43 AM »
TBH I'm more concerned about the lack of an inexpensive LoRa gateway, but this is probably more of a US vs Europe thing (in their take-up of LoRa technology I mean).

Out of curiosity, how do you envision a LoRa gateway working?  I bought a cheap ESP32 board with a LoRa transceiver on it a few weeks ago, and (solar power budget calculations aside) it seems to have more than enough horsepower to replace an ISS controller if someone wanted to go LoRa from the sensors and scrap their console.  It seems trivial to put together code that would connect to a USB logger and re-broadcast on LoRa.  As I said, just curious about how such a gateway would be used.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 08:29:25 AM »
Out of curiosity, how do you envision a LoRa gateway working?

Bit OT for this thread, but quickly: LoRa is mostly of interest for remote field stations - mostly, but not exclusively, farming. LoRa is potentially used in 2 ways: Each individual sensor transmitter could be a LoRa node, or alternatively stick with VP2-type wireless or EM ZigBee sensor nodes and have a single local LoRa gateway to collect all the node data.  Consoles aren't typically used with LoRa systems, the LoRa nodes upload directly (via a LoRa gateway) to the cloud via eg TheThings network and all data handling takes place there using something akin to the weatherlink.com platform.

The main advantages of LoRa are the long range (potentially up to 10km or more) coupled with very low power requirement meaning that a well-designed node can dispense with solar panels and run for long periods on a single small battery. In turn, this means low-cost nodes which is obviously appealing to ag customers, no cellular charges. LoRa (and related technologies like SigFox and NB-IoT) are looking likely to be game-changers in the ag/sensor market.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 08:53:49 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2019, 08:46:48 AM »
Oh bummer. So why do you say unsurprisingly no VP3?

Because - while I'm always prepared to be proved wrong, but as I've consistently said here - I've not picked up any signs whatsoever that a 'VP3' is pending, or even on the launch roadmap for the next year or two (though Davis are pretty good at keeping early stage products very quiet). Apart from anything else, it's not at all clear to me what would be different about a VP3 from a VP2 - especially now that the tipping spoon rain gauge and (ultra)sonic anemometer are available for the VP2. I know there are some folk that would like 'real' I2C for the T/H, but for maybe 95% of Davis buyers it's not an issue. There is the console question of course, but right now and as we've often discussed here it may be that a software/tablet + WLL solution turns out to be the answer here. TBH I'm more concerned about the lack of an inexpensive LoRa gateway, but this is probably more of a US vs Europe thing (in their take-up of LoRa technology I mean).

It's unlikely, though not totally unknown. And I wouldn't worry too much about the 2020 catalogue not being public yet, though I dare so someone will post a link before long. Other than a new (undated AFAICS, which is interesting) front cover, it's very much like the 2019 one. And the headline new products are all mentioned in this thread.

I would like to reinforce what John said.  Davis keeps throwing minor improvements at the VP2 and thus I don't see a chance for a VP3 to be introduced anytime soon either.  It would say it is either years down the road or possibly never?  My advise for people on the fence waiting for a VP3 to come along, don't bother.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2019, 10:07:16 AM »
If I recall correctly, Davis got new owners this year. And the best they can come up with is a $495 sonic anemometer? Disappointing to say the least. I thought maybe the new owners would discard the No-Doz and develop some real enhancements; instead they just just found some No-Doz with a later expiration date.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2019, 10:12:39 AM »
If I recall correctly, Davis got new owners this year. And the best they can come up with is a $495 sonic anemometer? Disappointing to say the least. I thought maybe the new owners would discard the No-Doz and develop some real enhancements; instead they just just found some No-Doz with a later expiration date.

You are correct they were joined with another group on August 2019, so they are newlyweds on their honeymoon at this point.  Perhaps a year after marriage the 2021 catalog will be more exciting with some new children  :lol:

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2019, 11:21:25 AM »
Any thoughts on how these would work with freezing rain? Most I've seen is around .50" this year.
The standard anemometer does poorly and the freezing rain events sometimes are a precursor to a blizzard so I end up with no wind data. Frustrating.  ](*,)
Randy

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2019, 11:32:43 AM »
My biggest concern with this design is the solar panel is on a flat top.  What happens when it snows?  No solar would mean I'll lose wind data.  No good for me.

Now if they could mount the panel on a side piece, that would work.  Something I can rotate to the south for winter sun.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2019, 11:37:20 AM »
My biggest concern with this design is the solar panel is on a flat top.  What happens when it snows?  No solar would mean I'll lose wind data.  No good for me.

Now if they could mount the panel on a side piece, that would work.  Something I can rotate to the south for winter sun.

John might know something about these concerns.  He sells a similar unit which we are speculating may be the same as Davis's new unit (perhaps a re-brand).  I am awaiting for photos of the anemometer from Davis.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2019, 12:17:25 PM »
John might know something about these concerns.  He sells a similar unit which we are speculating may be the same as Davis's new unit (perhaps a re-brand).  I am awaiting for photos of the anemometer from Davis.
My existing anemometer gets iced up on average maybe once a year.  I have it mounted to a pole attached to the house.  I can go out and bang on the pole and it'll shake most ice loose.  What typically happens is I may get 2-3 days in a row with ice.  Then maybe not happen for a couple of years.

But bottom line is I can't crawl up on the roof when it's icy to fix it.  So unless the ultrasonic solves that problem, it won't be an improvement overall for me personally.

The one thing I'd like to find out about these ultra-sonics is how well they handle wind gusts, plus tied in with the Davis 3 second polling.  I would hope the new version can catch high wind gusts that I'm currently missing with my cup style.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2019, 12:50:55 PM »
only experiences i had with ultrasonic wind was with weatherflow perhaps a cheaper low cost approach but water residue and ice were a big issue this would send the sensor into erratic readings no regular familiar pattern would either be way off wind direction or none at all and wind speeds either to way too high often 50-60kmh under rain conditions when winds were relatively calm or non totally existent , however being that this davis version announced will cost more than a complete weatherflow system? i would hope there is some form of heating but how that would work or be implemented ive no idea perhaps johnd can fill us all in of his experiences and customer feedback particularly interested in the rain effect .

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2019, 01:04:58 PM »
My existing anemometer gets iced up on average maybe once a year.  I have it mounted to a pole attached to the house.  I can go out and bang on the pole and it'll shake most ice loose.  What typically happens is I may get 2-3 days in a row with ice.  Then maybe not happen for a couple of years.

But bottom line is I can't crawl up on the roof when it's icy to fix it.  So unless the ultrasonic solves that problem, it won't be an improvement overall for me personally.

The one thing I'd like to find out about these ultra-sonics is how well they handle wind gusts, plus tied in with the Davis 3 second polling.  I would hope the new version can catch high wind gusts that I'm currently missing with my cup style.

I ended up getting a long extension from the top of a step ladder I can break the cups free but I've had ice buildup inside the cups preventing normal free movement. I was thinking about spraying cups with something that will make the water runoff but that's only a temporary fix so would need to do each time we have a freezing rain forecast providing I can safely reach them. 
The two products I have and was thinking of trying I'll post a pic.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2019, 02:47:29 PM »
I think for a VP3 to exist only two things need to happen.

• Move from LSS to I2C for sensors.
  • Provide a new console via low cost tablet or a smart app for the WLL. This is something that does not need to come from Davis. All the requirements are already there with the WLL API, and there is currently progress in this aspect with the very first app in development which is Daviswll.

I hear those of you advocating that having I2C is no big deal for most customers. BUT the LSS sensor supply is limited and no longer in production. No matter how many LSS sensors Davis has hoarded away, the supply is finite. Therefore Davis just has to be designed the next thing with I2C support. A VP3 or a VP2 with I2C support is evident at some point.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 05:08:52 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2019, 02:53:15 PM »
Sorry, OT, but I just wanted to let you know I received your PM several days ago and tried to PM you back but it was blocked. :???:

Regardless, thank you for your kind words.

anything