Author Topic: Remote Battery  (Read 7438 times)

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: Remote Battery
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2019, 07:57:24 PM »
FWIW a small, high-efficiency, switching down-converter CHIP can get you 6VDC from 12VDC with minimum loss.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline GW400

• Aadneram Fjellgrend
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2019, 01:32:15 AM »
FWIW a small, high-efficiency, switching down-converter CHIP can get you 6VDC from 12VDC with minimum loss.
This is interesting!
What is the spec and make for the converter chip?

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2019, 04:25:46 PM »
This is interesting!

This is one (of many) such units available (mostly from China): https://www.ebay.com/p/12v-to-6v-DC-Buck-Converter-Step-Down-Module-Power-Supply-Voltage-Regulator-YM/1253103178

This is a 5VDC output range of devices: https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/75/EC5SBW-V10-557892.pdf

This is MOUSER's listing of devices (some cheap, some $$$$):  https://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine?Keyword=12VDC+to+6VDC+buck+converter
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 04:35:39 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline GW400

• Aadneram Fjellgrend
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2019, 01:59:21 PM »
This is interesting!

This is one (of many) such units available (mostly from China): https://www.ebay.com/p/12v-to-6v-DC-Buck-Converter-Step-Down-Module-Power-Supply-Voltage-Regulator-YM/1253103178

This is a 5VDC output range of devices: https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/75/EC5SBW-V10-557892.pdf

This is MOUSER's listing of devices (some cheap, some $$$$):  https://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine?Keyword=12VDC+to+6VDC+buck+converter
Ended up ordering 12v-tp-6v-DC converter through eBay.
Thank you for the links!!

Offline GW400

• Aadneram Fjellgrend
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2019, 04:54:26 AM »
I noticed that solar panel hase two connectors to cable connected to ISS.
What about connecting external 5V-6V DC to these connectors.
Maybe a stupid question, but will that work?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2019, 06:02:59 AM »

No No No

Offline GW400

• Aadneram Fjellgrend
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2019, 07:35:03 AM »

No No No
You seems to be pretty sure that this is a bad idea.
Since you don't provide any background or details behind your opinion, we have no idea why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 11:26:28 AM by GW400 »

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2019, 04:01:21 PM »

No No No

Since you don't provide any background or details behind your opinion, we have no idea why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes it helps if users were to read the manual and specifications of the equipment they are using then they might understand why! The ISS solar panel provides less than 3 volts at 0.5 watts and only chargers the supercap which is backed up by the 3v replaceable battery. The external DC jack is provided for connecting 5-6v external power NOT the solar panel connector running <3 volts.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 04:03:27 PM by Mattk »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2019, 06:02:20 PM »

No No No

Please provide background or details about YOUR knowledge of electrical engineering.  I'll try to explain, at that level.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 08:07:18 PM by dalecoy »

Offline GW400

• Aadneram Fjellgrend
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2019, 04:40:05 PM »

No No No

Please provide background or details about YOUR knowledge of electrical engineering.  I'll try to explain, at that level.
Basic knowledge of electrical engineering

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2019, 05:37:28 PM »
OK, now please clarify for me:

You asked about two connectors.  Are those connectors on the solar panel that you are looking at?  Or are they on wires coming from the solar panel?  Or are they on the ISS? or?????

Offline GW400

• Aadneram Fjellgrend
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2019, 03:57:50 AM »

You asked about two connectors.  Are those connectors on the solar panel that you are looking at?  Or are they on wires coming from the solar panel?  Or are they on the ISS? or?????
The connector are on the solar panel, same connectors as where wires to ISS is connected.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2019, 10:12:20 AM »

The connector are on the solar panel, same connectors as where wires to ISS is connected.

Then you were asking about the equivalent of connecting a 5-volt battery directly to a 3-volt battery.

Example: Your car has a 12-volt battery.  How about hooking up a 24-volt battery charger directly to it? 

Is that a satisfactory explanation of why Mattk said "No"?

Offline GW400

• Aadneram Fjellgrend
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2019, 04:54:05 AM »

Then you were asking about the equivalent of connecting a 5-volt battery directly to a 3-volt battery.

Example: Your car has a 12-volt battery.  How about hooking up a 24-volt battery charger directly to it? 

I did not know that solar panel was connected directly to the lithium battery on ISS, that was new to me.
My understanding has always been that solar panel charged the supercap, but I might be wrong.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2019, 05:40:54 AM »

I did not know that solar panel was connected directly to the lithium battery on ISS, that was new to me.
My understanding has always been that solar panel charged the supercap, but I might be wrong.

Correct it is not connected directly to the lithium battery on ISS but the comment you refer didn't mention lithium battery just "directly to a 3-volt battery" and that basically is what the Supercap is, essentially a battery just under 3 volts.

And if your understanding has always been that solar panel charged the supercap then some of your comments don't indicate that at all otherwise there would have been no need for your query and comment? 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 05:42:30 AM by Mattk »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2019, 11:43:37 AM »
Previously:

GW400, you didn't provide any background or details about your assumptions, regarding the circuitry involved.  Trying to "justify" a statement under those conditions isn't possible.

The simple explanation is: The power supply arrangement for the ISS is a rather complex circuitry that allows the "best" one of four power sources, at any instant, to run the ISS.  And "best" does not mean "highest voltage" (use the battery only as a last resort).

Those four power sources are: (1) External power jack; (2) Battery; (3) Solar Panel; (4) Supercap.

Hooking two of those together would defeat the engineering of the circuitry (and possibly damage some component). 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 11:53:48 AM by dalecoy »

Offline GW400

• Aadneram Fjellgrend
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2019, 01:28:03 PM »
Previously:

GW400, you didn't provide any background or details about your assumptions, regarding the circuitry involved.  Trying to "justify" a statement under those conditions isn't possible.

The simple explanation is: The power supply arrangement for the ISS is a rather complex circuitry that allows the "best" one of four power sources, at any instant, to run the ISS.  And "best" does not mean "highest voltage" (use the battery only as a last resort).

Those four power sources are: (1) External power jack; (2) Battery; (3) Solar Panel; (4) Supercap.

Hooking two of those together would defeat the engineering of the circuitry (and possibly damage some component).

This explanation is more than good enough for me and it also provided additional information I have not seen elsewhere.
Thank you!

Then let's leave the topic of external power to solar panel connectors and move on to my next question (which should be an easy one):
Can anyone confirm the size and polarity of the power plug to be used?
By searching around I have found this information: 1.3mm DC plug, centre pin +.
I this correct?

My Davis Vantage Pro2 is half a days travel away and I can't easily measure it myself.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2019, 02:29:41 PM »
1.3mm, centre pin+ would be about right. Also if being used in the ISS then the jack is best to be a 90 degree or if straight then very short with no cable restraint, mostly just use the jack, throw away the screw on plastic cover and heat shrink

Offline GW400

• Aadneram Fjellgrend
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2019, 02:33:00 PM »
Thank you! [tup]

Offline GW400

• Aadneram Fjellgrend
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2021, 07:34:27 AM »
Previously:

What is Davis' recommended voltage when providing power through external power jack, 5V DC or 6V DC?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 02:40:29 PM by GW400 »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2021, 04:29:27 PM »

What is Davis' recommended voltage when providing power through external power jack, 5V DC or 6V DC?

I don't know.  But I do know that they say the Power Adapter for Vantage Family Consoles (#6625) works in that role.

Get one and measure it.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2021, 07:30:24 PM »
.... What is Davis' recommended voltage when providing power through external power jack, 5V DC or 6V DC?

External 5V is fine with ISS and Consoles as most Davis have a bottom threshold around 4.3'ish volts when using the WLIP, nominal 6 volts is no issue and has no problem with solar power output of up to 6.8 volts, 7 volts is getting a tad high but there is a restriction in the circuitry to clamp at 6.8 volts

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2021, 03:36:00 AM »
For the console, 6v is the highest voltage that's advised by Davis. Any higher will shorten the circuitry life. A little extra will probably take quite a while to cause damage. But I know that a 7.5v DC adapter that was rather stupidly substituted for the official Davis adapter by a particular reseller caused damage in a relatively short time.

ISS I've not seen any official Davis recommendations for, but I'm guessing not to exceed 5v. (But 5v adapters are two a penny these days, so that shouldn't be much hardship. That said, IIRC you do need one with the right-angle plug to connect easily into the SIM board.)

Battery powering via the DC jack input is a bit more tricky. I think I'd be wary of using say 2 x 18650 or LiPo cells in series, but say 4 x D cells might well be OK. I'm not sure whether it's feasible to inject say 3.7v from a single 18650 via the DC jack - there may be a voltage regulator that's expecting 5v as a minimum, but I don't know fir sure.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 04:09:45 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2021, 04:30:47 AM »
For the console, 6v is the highest voltage that's advised by Davis. Any higher will shorten the circuitry life.....

Maybe you meant to say nominal 6v? Something like the Solar Power Kit (#6610) and being a Davis product is something specifically recommended to power VP consoles so it doesn't make any sense to actually make a Solar kit that can output 6.8 volts then only advise a highest voltage of 6 volts? There can be a little confusion with such a claim?

And specifically there is a 7 volt upper voltage clamp as well as a protection diode which drops the voltage by 0.7 volts for this specific reason. Also the reason why operational voltage is typically a minimum of 4+ volts as the WLIP requires a voltage of at least 3.3V

And again the ISS is also made to run from something like a #6610 @ 6.8 volts so no problem here either.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2021, 04:55:29 AM »
Simply quoting the official Davis response when this question was posed re the console PSU many moons ago. And yes I think it's understood that it's a nominal 6v, ie that say 6.2v won't do any damage. But applying say 7.5v definitely does cause problems. AIUI the voltage regulator doesn't like to dissipate that much extra heat long-term - it's OK for some weeks or even months, but gives up in the end.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.