Author Topic: Remote Battery  (Read 7439 times)

Offline GW400

• Aadneram Fjellgrend
Re: Remote Battery
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2019, 10:27:37 AM »
Don't bother trying to solder to the terminals. The SIM board has a jack on it for the Davis size console plug. If you need a plug, you can get a Davis USB console cable from Scaled Instruments (#6627) for $6 plus shipping, and splice it.

As far a gauge, it uses such little current, just about anything would work. Get something black that will resist UV. 18 gauge zip cord would be OK.
Are you referring to the RJ connector at top right in picture?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2019, 02:59:18 PM »
The power input is the barrel connector above the RJ plug.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline GW400

• Aadneram Fjellgrend
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2019, 03:10:03 PM »
Well then I need to use a Battery Eliminator to do a remote battery pack LOL...all this talk of using the DC jack on the board doesn't do what I want - it would override the solar panel and the cap.

Not correct.  The jack has no "override the solar panel and the cap" function.  It just provides a convenient way to connect an additional voltage (power) source to the ISS.

What was it that you wanted to do?

Have you or anyone else actually tested and verified that providing external power through the jack works?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2019, 03:33:54 PM »
Have you or anyone else actually tested and verified that providing external power through the jack works?

Yes

Offline GW400

• Aadneram Fjellgrend
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2019, 03:53:40 PM »
Good!
Kindly share some details

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2019, 03:54:48 PM »
Well then I need to use a Battery Eliminator to do a remote battery pack LOL...all this talk of using the DC jack on the board doesn't do what I want - it would override the solar panel and the cap.

Not correct.  The jack has no "override the solar panel and the cap" function.  It just provides a convenient way to connect an additional voltage (power) source to the ISS.

Definitely does as that is what the jack is for. You can also replace the CR123 with an insert adapter and run the battery backup from 2* D cells, ISS will basically never have a power failure again. As for the solar panel, I generally disconnect it and replace it with a blank door     

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2019, 04:03:36 PM »

Of course - it's a standard way of powering a VP2 transmitter board from eg the Davis AC mains adapter. But if the board has somehow developed a short across its DC lines somewhere then it won't do the mains adapter much good. So, if possible, you might want to check the current draw.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline GW400

• Aadneram Fjellgrend
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2019, 04:18:27 PM »

That could work.
Any suggestion where to find a water tight (IP65) and UV resistant 2*D battery holder?

Definitely does as that is what the jack is for. You can also replace the CR123 with an insert adapter and run the battery backup from 2* D cells, ISS will basically never have a power failure again. As for the solar panel, I generally disconnect it and replace it with a blank door   

Offline GW400

• Aadneram Fjellgrend
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2019, 05:05:37 PM »
Any suggestion of a watertight (IP67) and UV resistant battery compartment that can be used for powering ISS with 2xD batteries?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2019, 10:37:55 PM »
I'm p[retty certain the standard Davis external power adapter is NOT 3v
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2019, 01:17:36 AM »

Did somebody mention that it was, so not exactly sure of your query. But no, the external power for consoles, ISS or similar is typically 5 volts but can handle up to around 6.5 volts.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2019, 03:21:14 AM »
But no, the external power for consoles, ISS or similar is typically 5 volts but can handle up to around 6.5 volts.

I think that 6.0v is the official max voltage, though it's safer to stick to the standard 5.0v max. (I have seen consoles with the voltage regulator burnt out by a voltage >6v).
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2019, 05:19:44 AM »
But no, the external power for consoles, ISS or similar is typically 5 volts but can handle up to around 6.5 volts.

I think that 6.0v is the official max voltage, though it's safer to stick to the standard 5.0v max. (I have seen consoles with the voltage regulator burnt out by a voltage >6v).

One would have thought the max voltage would be the upper limit of the VP solar kit, 6V battery but does output up to around 6.8v

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2019, 05:28:47 AM »
One would have thought the max voltage would be the upper limit of the VP solar kit, 6V battery but does output up to around 6.8v

The official word from Davis is not to exceed 6v. Slightly higher voltages can certainly be tolerated but the higher the voltage and the longer the exposure then the life of the regulator will suffer. I can imagine that 6.5v (or maybe even 6.8v) is Ok for limited periods but you wouldn't want to be using eg continuous connection to a 7.5v mains adapter for more than brief periods.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2019, 06:20:46 AM »

The official word from Davis is not to exceed 6v. Slightly higher voltages can certainly be tolerated but the higher the voltage and the longer the exposure then the life of the regulator will suffer. I can imagine that 6.5v (or maybe even 6.8v) is Ok for limited periods but you wouldn't want to be using eg continuous connection to a 7.5v mains adapter for more than brief periods.

Well nobody mentioned 7.5v mains adapter but if a Davis console or ISS can not handle a continuous power feed from a Davis solar kit then somebody has got it wrong, so that users don't get confused here we can say with confidence 6.8v is ok, it simply has to be because that is what the Davis solar kit puts out. 

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2019, 08:47:28 AM »

Did somebody mention that it was, so not exactly sure of your query. But no, the external power for consoles, ISS or similar is typically 5 volts but can handle up to around 6.5 volts.

@GW400 was asking about powering it with 3v from two D batteries.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2019, 11:19:57 AM »

Well nobody mentioned 7.5v mains adapter but if a Davis console or ISS can not handle a continuous power feed from a Davis solar kit then somebody has got it wrong, so that users don't get confused here we can say with confidence 6.8v is ok, it simply has to be because that is what the Davis solar kit puts out.

I wasn't able to find the specs on the solar kit that (apparently) quote the 6.8V output voltage. However, being that it relies on solar power, this is much more likely to be an absolute maximum figure under ideal conditions than a continuous rating. There is a substantial difference, particularly in terms of potential thermal stress on the regulator circuitry, between occasionally being able to handle a peak power supply voltage of 6.8V and being able to handle a continuous input voltage of that level.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2019, 03:17:22 PM »

@GW400 was asking about powering it with 3v from two D batteries.

I suggested you can replace the CR123 backup battery with 2*D cells (using an insert adapter in the CR123 battery holder) as well as powering it externally and then throw away the solar panels 

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2019, 03:40:59 PM »
If you have external power, why bother changing out the nice compact 123 with yet another bulky thing?  A CR123 will last 6 months on its own if the unit is functioning properly.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2019, 03:55:49 PM »

I wasn't able to find the specs on the solar kit that (apparently) quote the 6.8V output voltage. However, being that it relies on solar power, this is much more likely to be an absolute maximum figure under ideal conditions than a continuous rating. There is a substantial difference, particularly in terms of potential thermal stress on the regulator circuitry, between occasionally being able to handle a peak power supply voltage of 6.8V and being able to handle a continuous input voltage of that level.

And it is designed to handle that max all of the time, actually it will handle 7v continuous as the input voltage is clamped at 7v then dropped back via a protection diode, so yes a continuous 6.8v is by design. All this is tied up with the minimum voltage requirements which can be as low as 3 volts, WLIP requires at least 3.3v after the voltage regulators 

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2019, 04:00:10 PM »
If you have external power, why bother changing out the nice compact 123 with yet another bulky thing?  A CR123 will last 6 months on its own if the unit is functioning properly.

In remote installations one can't have enough backup capacity regardless of the primary power source. In some instances largest capacity is typically dedicated to the backup. Have learnt not to rely on CR123's, AA's etc a long time ago.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2019, 05:25:08 PM »
Then plug the wall wart into a UPS>  That is what I did for years. Never a single drop (although longest power outage was only  a bit less thana day)

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2019, 06:06:05 PM »
Then plug the wall wart into a UPS>  That is what I did for years. Never a single drop (although longest power outage was only  a bit less thana day)

I'm talking about stations that are totally solar, no mains power what so ever, they may have to run for 12 months totally unattended, talking about backing up Envoys from 80-100Ah batteries via multiple LVD's and adjustable regulators to progressively shutdown (and automatically turn on with power increases) unnecessary systems to at least maintain observations and logging. The likes of CR123's etc simply are not an option, I expect a system that might fail the day after a visit has the capability to still run and log data for at least 12 months even if the comms are down.   

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2019, 06:37:23 PM »
If we are changing the subject...  what I'd do for a really remote setup (I am familiar with these BTW) is have a battery bank powered by a solar panel(s)

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2019, 07:21:41 PM »
If we are changing the subject...  what I'd do for a really remote setup (I am familiar with these BTW) is have a battery bank powered by a solar panel(s)

Well I wasn't changing the subject but exactly and 12 volt solar systems are more common than 6 volt and there are some very good fixed and adjustable regulators out there. A complete top down remote system running multiple ISS's, multiple anemometers, multiple loggers and routers is a combination of independent dual solar systems, dual/split regulators, multiple batteries and LVD's right down to ISS backup using 2*D cells instead of a CR123 even with the capability to run 2 lots of 2*D cells in parallel.