Author Topic: Wireless data logger to PC link  (Read 5375 times)

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
Wireless data logger to PC link
« on: February 14, 2012, 04:18:53 AM »
As an addition to the Davis clone logger I have tested a wireless link between my console and PC with great results. I shall be doing some range tests this weeks, but so far I have a through wall communication of around 40 metres.

The wireless units are powered from the console and at the PC via the USB cable. Is this an addition that people would find useful? (It adds about £30 to the cost of the logger) I found that it was good to place my console in a position where it received good signal from the ISS, and then have the flexibilty of siting my PC without being tied to the Datalogger by cables.

Any thoughts welcome.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:04:04 AM by belfryboy »

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
Re: Wireless data logger to PC link
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 04:21:43 AM »
sounds like a good idea to me
now if you could just invent wireless for the power supply!
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline ukwoody

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 06:04:19 AM »
YES YES YES> but does it have to be built in or can it be added on? so for someone like me who has already ordered I can buy it as an add on.

woody

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 07:13:04 AM »
Woody, PM sent.

Offline jenielsen

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 02:29:36 PM »
Belfryboy, 

I'm interested in hearing more...  I tried to build something using USB wireless, but it didn't pan out (as I don't have XP).  I'd appreciate any information you can send my way.  PM me if you'd like.  Thank you.

Offline JHellis

• Grandpa as drawn by Grandson
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 05:39:03 PM »
YES YES YES> but does it have to be built in or can it be added on? so for someone like me who has already ordered I can buy it as an add on.

woody

I might be interested in this, but also as an add on rather than built into the data logger.

At the moment My consul is right next to my laptop, but this might possibly change in the future.

John
Davis Vantage Vue
Belfryboy Data Logger

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 03:56:40 AM »
At the moment it is an either or situation (either direct USB connection or wireless via USB) I am exploring different ways of doing this, but I should be able to do an add on for serial users. It will need a little experimentation, but I should know in a couple of days.

Offline Ronny St.

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 12:40:20 PM »
Is it still possible to buy a complete set ? I am very interested since I am gonna buy me a VP2 :)

Greetings and best wishes for 2014  from belgium !

Ronny

Offline duke666

• Senior Contributor
    • Nightingale Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 01:03:59 PM »
@belfryboy, I realize you are still at the development stage, but, any pictures you could tease us with? 8-)

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 03:25:34 PM »
Here is a photo of the first one. I am awaiting new boards, and the wireless unit will be inside the console expansion cover with the antenna outside on a (short) extension.

Untitled by belfryboy, on Flickr

Offline duke666

• Senior Contributor
    • Nightingale Weather
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 04:48:36 PM »
I don't think what I am asking is possible, but, is it possible that the data sent by the console unit could be received on two devices without conflict or is there two way comms here?

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 02:06:23 AM »
I'm not sure either, I suspect it may be possible, if i get a chance I will give it a go. If you send me a message with your intended use I would have a better idea of what you wish to achieve.

Offline duke666

• Senior Contributor
    • Nightingale Weather
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 01:35:38 PM »
Hi belfryboy,

my thoughts were whether or not there is a 'hardware' solution of providing the console data to two or more PC's or weather software?
If you like, a hardware equivalent to the SOFTWX VVP. And, if it were possible, then for two weather software on one PC the solution would not need to be wireless.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 02:19:03 PM »
Not sure where this is going, but....

It IS possible to use VVP to create a virtual VP2 on a TCP/IP port, and then connect to that port over the network with a hardware serial-ethernet device like a GridConnect Net232. Then the serial port on the device looks like the serial WeatherLink to another computer or other hardware.

I have done this to create a couple of hardware virtual VP2s for testing my WeatherElement Data Hubs (cheaper than buying more weather stations :) ).

Hi belfryboy,

my thoughts were whether or not there is a 'hardware' solution of providing the console data to two or more PC's or weather software?
If you like, a hardware equivalent to the SOFTWX VVP. And, if it were possible, then for two weather software on one PC the solution would not need to be wireless.