Author Topic: Won't finish connecting to WIFI  (Read 4040 times)

Offline Richietwo

Won't finish connecting to WIFI
« on: July 04, 2019, 01:13:40 PM »
First of all, the unit connected to my wifi two months ago. I'm just now reconnecting it after a few busy months. I've done all the recommended procedures. I disconnected all mesh units except the main one. I shut down 5ghz and the guest network.  I have gotten as far as VERIFYING a couple of times but it usually times out after the CONNECTED TO DEVICE message. Then the AWNET app returns to Configure Device screen which starts with (1) Plug in the Console........

The unit was purchased in February of 2019.

Richard

« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 02:48:08 PM by saratogaWX »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Richietwo

Re: Won't finish connecting to WIFI
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 04:44:58 PM »
I followed the Android procedure, which I have done before with the same results. The process goes to "Setup is complete. Ready to verify."

Then the following screen appears:
"Configure Device
The console could not connect to the router.
This is likely because of the WIFI password is incorrect.
Please reconnect your mobile WIFI to"SSID" and
return to this app, and try again.
   Connect to your router."

Also the wifi symbol on the unit stops blinking and disappears.  Also I have tried the process on two phones.
R.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 04:58:24 PM »
Write down your console totals if they matter to you.

Then reset the display console and power cycle it. Remove the batteries too.

Go to your phones remembered WiFi hotspots and delete them....at least delete all those that pertain to your current location or old ones that pertain to your location that you no longer have if you've renamed your WiFi.

Good on keeping 5GHz off on WiFi router...or temporarily rename 5GHz to be something different than 2.4GHz SSID. Definitely make sure you remove all those remembered 5GHz SSIDs on your mobile device.

Restart the phone too.

Make sure you turn off mobile data. This is important because some phones will refuse to use a WiFi network that doesn't have Internet (like the temporary WiFi network you must connect to from the display console).

Make sure all three are close by to each other; phone, console and WiFi Router.  You can move them later to desired location.

Make sure your SSID is not hidden. It is pointless to hide your SSID on your router anyway...baffles me why people bother doing it as all it does is frustrate and make things difficult for yourself on your own network and it offers zero protection from hackers.

Once you get it online be sure you update the firmware with the awnet app to the current version. This might save you from having to deal with this mess in the future.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 05:04:11 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Richietwo

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 05:23:40 PM »
Nothing so far, will try again later. Thanks for the assist. I'll post if progress is made.
R.

Offline Richietwo

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 07:14:18 PM »
Write down your console totals if they matter to you. NO

Then reset the display console and power cycle it. Remove the batteries too.  Done

Go to your phones remembered WiFi hotspots and delete them....at least delete all those that pertain to your current location or old ones that pertain to your location that you no longer have if you've renamed your WiFi.  Done

Good on keeping 5GHz off on WiFi router...or temporarily rename 5GHz to be something different than 2.4GHz SSID. Definitely make sure you remove all those remembered 5GHz SSIDs on your mobile device. Done

Restart the phone too.  Done

Make sure you turn off mobile data. This is important because some phones will refuse to use a WiFi network that doesn't have Internet (like the temporary WiFi network you must connect to from the display console). Done

Make sure all three are close by to each other; phone, console and WiFi Router.  You can move them later to desired location.  Within 6 feet.

Make sure your SSID is not hidden. It is pointless to hide your SSID on your router anyway...baffles me why people bother doing it as all it does is frustrate and make things difficult for yourself on your own network and it offers zero protection from hackers.  I never hid my SSID

Once you get it online be sure you update the firmware with the awnet app to the current version. This might save you from having to deal with this mess in the future.

NO GO.  I still end up with the "Setup is complete, ready to verify" message and the wifi symbol on the unit stops blinking and actually goes away completely.  Thanks for the assist galfert but something isn't working correctly. I've done a lot of this type of connects on my RING cameras, Alexas, remote controlled light bulbs and coffee pot; so I am fairly sure that I am doing the setup proceeds properly. Maybe tomorrow my stars will be aligned differently.
R.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 07:49:08 PM »
Just thought of something else... Make sure your router isn't using wide channels.
20 MHz only on the 2.4 GHz SSID.

What brand/model router and phones are you using?

After you told the phone to forget the WiFi networks, go ahead and connect the phone to the 2.4 GHz SSID before attempting the awnet setup.
Tele-Pole

Offline Richietwo

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 02:48:14 PM »
tp-link Deco mesh with only the main unit on.  Samsung S8 and HTC 10.  I don't think that I have any bandwidth control. All of the equipment worked two months ago. I think the on,y change is renaming my SSID. I've removed the old SSIDs.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 03:08:58 PM »
Maybe you have an old router that you can put into service just to get it online and perhaps then update the WS-2902A console to the latest firmware. Use a different SSID. Make sure your preferred Router is powered off while attempting this. Then reset the console and try your TP-Link again. Also make sure your TP-Link is on the latest version.

I would disconnect the WS-2902A from power and remove the batteries. Then leave them unplugged for 5 minutes. Then follow this reset procedure to factory reset the console.

https://ambientweather.net/help/how-do-i-restore-console-to-factory-default-osprey-series/

By the way I have a Samsung S8 along with my WS-2902A and I had some difficulties early on....but that was last year. Try the following on your phone:
Settings / Connections / WiFi / Advanced /
Then turn off "Switch to mobile data"

You can turn that feature back on after you get the WS-2902A reconnected.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 03:13:46 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Richietwo

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 07:26:41 PM »
Thanks again, I have a couple old router. It is worth a try. It may take a couple days to do but I will let you know how it goes. I just switched to a different S8 this afternoon, the screen cracked on the other one. I'll give the new one a try first. R.

Offline Richietwo

Re: Won't finish connecting to WIFI Update
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 03:36:21 PM »
I hooked up a Linksys E4200 and the Station connected immediately. I updated the firmware as you recommended.

I reattached the Deco main unit w/o guest or 5 ghz.  Turned off cell data. However the process continued to die at the "Connected.  Verify" stage and the unit's wifi light turns off. The unit is successfully connecting to it's wifi to my phone.
R.

Offline Richietwo

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 03:39:15 PM »
I also successfully pushed data to WU.
R.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 04:16:46 PM »
Hmm...So its not the phone....I guess there is some sort of router incompatibility. Try changing to a new SSID that you haven't used before. Maybe you have a character that it doesn't like either in the SSID or the in the password. I've seen that sort of thing happen.

Otherwise if you are thinking of what to replace the TP-Link mesh with here is my recommendation: Asus RT-AC68U and then you can add more of them to create either a wired mesh or a WiFi mesh. I can confirm that it will work with the WS-2902A.
Tele-Pole

Offline Richietwo

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 05:37:20 PM »
Okay, I just took the easy way out until I can figure out my router issue. I am running everything except the weather station on the Deco. I am running the station on the older Linksys E4200. I have $275 invested in the Deco and don't want to replace it just yet. Keep me in mind if you hear of anyone else having issues with the Deco M9.Have a great day and thanks for all of the help, galfert.

Offline howardg

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 08:37:31 PM »
I had the same issue, the thing that fixed the connection problems was to temporarily turn of my phones mobile data connection and only allow a WiFi connection to my home network.
Everything instantly worked then. Cheers

Offline Richietwo

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2019, 09:07:44 PM »
Thanks Howardg, but I have already tried that. Ambient is going to provide a hardware fix for me. So, hopefully I will be online soon.
R.

Offline Chipfitzg

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2023, 06:43:59 AM »
Had the same problem after an internet outage. Did research and tried all the internet tips to reconnect with no results. Finally after many many hours of trial and error I realized the time on the device was not the same as internet time due to DST change. I reset the device time to match internet DST time and it reconnected on the first try. 😡 Poor design in my opinion. Makes user experience very frustrating.

Offline Jai Soone

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2023, 10:31:10 AM »
As to why one might want to hide their Session Set ID (SSID), I once read a comment (in a Linksys help note) that it might be helpful to hide your SSID to see if it helps with speed problems with an Access Point (AP). If you are in an environment with many potential clients around (I.E., live in an apartment complex) some of them may notice the beacon frame with which your AP is announcing your SSID to the world. Some of these clients may then send out a probe request frame every now and then with your SSID as part of the request. Your AP's response will then be to send back a probe response frame, before it gets back to what you want it to be doing, transmitting your data. Kind of a last ditch effort to see if it helps.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 05:20:49 PM by Jai Soone »