Author Topic: Froggit WH3000 SE and upload data to custom server (weewx ?)  (Read 2087 times)

Offline shabic

First I would like to say hello and thank you to all members here !

Like many other i ended up here with a problem i could not solve on my own an therefore i kindly ask for a little help how to proceed.

I have the latest Froggit WH3000 SE WS with the software option to upload data to custom website of your choice using eccowit or wunergroud protocol.

Could someone please direct me to FAQ section for this ,....what to use and actual setup on the weewx.

Could this option be used to upload data to weewx ?

(I have Weewx currently installed on Pi).

Thank you

Alex

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Froggit WH3000 SE and upload data to custom server (weewx ?)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 06:23:52 PM »
Yes you can do this.

I recommend updating the firmware on the WH3000 SE to the latest version using WS View app. If you skip this step you could have problems. Some earlier firmware had the Ecowitt protocol upload and the WU protocol upload reversed, meaning it indicated the wrong one than the one you actually selected.

After updating your firmware I would recommend using the Ecowitt protocol option on your WH3000 SE to upload to your WeeWX system.

Then you'll want to ensure that you have installed WeeWX with the Simulator option during installation.
Then you install the Interceptor driver. Be sure to closely follow the instructions for the Interceptor driver. You'll be following the instructions for
device_type = ecowitt-client
https://github.com/matthewwall/weewx-interceptor
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 06:26:15 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline shabic

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 01:13:49 AM »
Thank you Galfert. I will follow your instructions and post the results later.
I hope to make it workable asap :=/.

Alex

Offline shabic

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 03:57:30 AM »
Dear Mr. Galfert,

May I ask for a hint more. I think I successfully installed the interceptor and rerun the Weewx. What directory talking default do i choose in the WH3000SE app to connect the device , i assume the port is 8000.

Thank you for patienece

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 08:08:47 AM »
The path does not matter. WeeWX Interceptor ignores the path. Just put / for the path.
Yes port 8000 is commonly used. But the weewx.conf has to match your port selection.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 08:11:47 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Jim Ace

• Hewlett Point Beach
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 11:02:42 AM »
I had to use device_type = fineoffset-bridge in weewx config to get it to work for me, using weewx ver 4.1.1
KNYEASTR4
Ecowitt WS65
AWEKAS 14894
PWS
WeatherCloud
Windy
Weewx
CumulusMX
CWOP FW3861

Offline shabic

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 07:13:28 AM »
Managed to work it.

The weather station could be found at Wunderground as POVLJA1.

I have one question for you experienced friends, the WH3000 is showing absolute and relative Air pressure..but how does it determine the difference between the two ?
Shouldn t be the reading the same on the coast?

Thank you

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 07:54:14 AM by shabic »

Offline navzptc

• Lavant Down
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 08:11:36 AM »
Managed to work it.

The weather station could be found at Wunderground as POVLJA1.

I have one question for you experienced friends, the WH3000 is showing absolute and relative Air pressure..but how does it determine the difference between the two ?

Thank you

It will be down to the altitude setting in weewx.conf file I think.
#   This section is for information about the station.

[Station]

# Description of the station location
    location = ******

# Latitude in decimal degrees. Negative for southern hemisphere
    latitude = ******
    # Longitude in decimal degrees. Negative for western hemisphere.
    longitude = ******

# Altitude of the station, with unit it is in. This is downloaded from
    # from the station if the hardware supports it.
    altitude =34, meter

Had to adjust mine even though was set up in the station console.

Regards,

Andy

Offline shabic

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 03:09:33 AM »
navzptc Thank you. I know this setting.

It confuses me on the WH3000 Se console where there is dif but in my opinion shouln t be on the coast.

Offline gand

• Lynghuzed
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 12:00:09 PM »
Hi

I used this link to calibrate my station:

http://www.ecowitt.com/news/102.html

Gert

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 12:40:25 PM »

Thank you

The station has no idea that you are on the coast (at sea level). If your Relative offset is configured such that it is different than Absolute pressure then that is what it is set for. By changing the Relative Offset you have essentially told the station that you are at a different elevation than sea level if your offset is not zero. Offset means difference between Relative and Absolute.

Also I think I found your WU ID and it is IPOVLJ1 so you've got a typo in your post.
You are also at 21 meters of elevation despite being at the coast. That is enough elevation for the difference between Absolute and Relative pressure to differ by 2.5 hPa.
I'm going by your WU elevation settings. But if I use FreeMapTools elevation finder and use you actual map location you seem to actually be at an elevation of 5 meters.
https://www.freemaptools.com/elevation-finder.htm

Therefore I don't know which is correct. Is the elevation of 21 meters correct? Or is the WU map location correct which corresponds to 5 meters according to FreeMapTools?
Even 5 meters of elevation would contribute a difference of 0.6 hPa between Absolute and Relative.

In WU when configuring a station ID, you enter in the elevation of the barometric sensor, not the elevation of your outdoor sensor array. Same thing for WeeWX.

You should not use the direct elevation indicated by FreeMapTools, because you need to also consider the height of the console above ground level. FreeMapTools is only giving you ground elevation. This may make the difference of at least another meter or more if your console is on a 2nd floor. Remember the barometer is inside of the display for your station and not part of the outdoor sensor array.

On your station:
Changing Relative is effecting an elevation adjustment.
Changing Absolute is effecting a calibration if the factory calibration is not adequate.

This happens because these station were not designed to have a place to enter in your elevation unfortunately. By you making Absolute and Relative different from each other is how you essentially give the station your elevation. You have to do some math to know what the barometric difference is for a given elevation. For doing the math I use this site:
https://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1224579725
It is important to not change the starting pressure of 1013.25 and to also not change the temperature of 15°C because we need to calculate a standard offset that would work as an average offset.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 12:45:43 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 01:51:45 PM »
Right now according to your Ecowitt data your station is configured for 51 meters of elevation. That is if this is your station: https://www.ecowitt.net/home/index?id=21129
Because right now:
1016.5 = Relative
1010.4 = Absolute

6.1 hPa difference = 51 meters of elevation.

As calculated using:
https://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1224585971

Tele-Pole

Offline shabic

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2020, 08:02:45 AM »
Yes it is a typo. I apologize.
I calibrated the absolute based on official data ...well at least what official is as I dunno how high they have their sensors.
I understand the relative correction regarding the height..and will correct it next week i ll be at location again.

BIG THANK YOU GALFERT and the team here. !

p.s. I would say appx 5-8 m

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2020, 09:57:44 AM »
The elevation of the official station you are referencing does not matter. That is the whole point of all stations reporting adjusted sea level pressure (Relative) instead of station pressure (Absolute).

If you matched their reported pressure with your Relative then you only did half of what needs to be done. What you did is the 2nd step. And doing what I call the 2nd step and skipping the first is okay if you don't care if your Absolute is correct or not.

Therefore if you want both to be correct then there are two steps and they must be done in this order:
- 1st Step - You use the kesian casio website and use it to calculate your Relative Offset. You just enter in your elevation and find out what the difference between Relative and Absolute should be for your elevation. This difference is the Relative Offset. This will never change because it references your elevation. If you are 5 - 8 meters you need to narrow it down more. We know FreeMapTools says 5 meters, but you don't have the console on the floor, so you are at least 6 meters for the console. You need to easily decide if it is 6 meters or 7 meters or 8 meters (or more if you are on second floor). Then you use that elevation in Keisan Casio calculator site. Then adjust Relative to be that offset (difference) amount from whatever is showing as Absolute. For now don't worry that this makes Relative not match your local official station. We fix that in 2nd Step.
https://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1224579725
Your Relative Offset for 6 to 8 meters is. 0.7 hPa to 1.0 hPa.
6 meters = 0.7 hPa
7 meters = 0.8 hPa
8 meters = 1.0 hPa

- 2nd Step - It is important to understand that once Step 1 is done you never touch Relative directly ever again. Notice that now you can adjust Absolute up or down. Notice that by however much you adjust Absolute that the Relative goes up and down by the same amount. What you notice is that Relative and Absolute stay apart from each other by the same amount. This is how you now calibrate with local official station. You adjust Absolute up or down so that your shown Relative matches the local official station. It is that easy. This step is easy. Just don't directly touch Relative.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 08:16:10 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Vetti52

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2020, 01:30:12 PM »
You had several posts concerning pressure here already. This time finally I tried to follow. As I at first put all offset into the Rel.Offset field, I thought, that there should be no difference after all. But, with the help of Casio I decided to split the empirical offset into two, a scientific and an empirical. Now, I have the Rel.Offset calculated due to the altitude. The value for the Abs.Offset is taken from comparison with (in my case two) values, I have to rely in. One is pretty sure to assume, that it is correct, because it is an official station of the DWD network and only a few miles away. The other is simply picked from www.windy.com locally. Both are actually identical, so I trust them. This offset is now taken for absolute differences of my barometer, which sits in my case in a GW1000A, but there should be no difference in handling.
But, you say, we should never again touch the Rel.Offset. I thought, that the Abs.Offset is device specific and therefore would never again be altered. But in case, I decide to move the GW1000A from the first floor to the second, I will have to change the Rel.Offset only and leave the Abs.Offset untouched - for ever. Right?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2020, 03:26:43 PM »
But, you say, we should never again touch the Rel.Offset. I thought, that the Abs.Offset is device specific and therefore would never again be altered. But in case, I decide to move the GW1000A from the first floor to the second, I will have to change the Rel.Offset only and leave the Abs.Offset untouched - for ever. Right?

Correct. You never touch the Relative Offset again unless you move the console. The Relative Offset is basically a direct translation of your console's elevation.
Tele-Pole

Offline Vetti52

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2020, 07:58:21 AM »
So, for now, to upload the data to weewx, I have set pressure in
[StdWXCalculate]
    [[Calculations]]
        pressure = prefer_hardware

or should I then set it to "software"?
Will it be calculated the same way, as in Casio's hypsometric formula? Provided, the altitude value of Weewx in the [station] section is used?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2020, 08:52:48 AM »
For the sake of consistency, so that what you see on your console matches what you see in WeeWX, I would recommend to leave the WeeWX configuration at its default setting of pressure = prefer_hardware. This is because after you have properly calibrated the console there is no need for the WeeWX software to make any adjustments nor for WeeWX to only consider Absolute and then calculate its own Relative, because that could result in slightly different values as there may be slightly different rounding in formulas used. Realize that when you use Keisan.casio.com you too are rounding the results.

The default prefer_hardware option in all the various WeeWX settings means that if the console has calculated or it has and passes a value, then WeeWX will use that value from the console. Only when the console does not provide that value should WeeWX then automatically then go ahead and calculate it itself using the other available values if prefer_hardware is configured.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 08:59:27 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline shabic

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2020, 08:09:34 AM »
Uh,
Galfert Thank you. Read it twice and I probably messed up.

First it is  really hard to determine the correct  height as every single program i check shows different and I am not talking 1m or 2 but 4 or more.. but I guess 9-10 m is approx correct to the ground floor where indoor console is located, so + 1,0hPa.

Now ,the relative should be set ( if you ll have any time pls check..or I messed something again :=(   ) Trying to figure which source now to use to set correctly the absolute.

Have a nice day

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 08:13:43 AM by shabic »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2020, 08:25:08 AM »
Yes different methods will yield slightly different ground elevation. I've found FreeMapTools to be pretty reliable. I've checked your newly calibrated station and it looks good. You have set your Relative Offset to 1.0 hPa and that corresponds to 8 meters of elevation. You mentioned 9 or 10 meters so that would then be 1.1 hPa or 1.2 hPa respectively.

I don't think you need to worry so much about ±2 meters.
Tele-Pole

anything