Author Topic: Ambient Weather WS-1401-IP OBSERVER to WEEWX  (Read 1637 times)

Offline santeewxman

Ambient Weather WS-1401-IP OBSERVER to WEEWX
« on: August 13, 2019, 11:30:42 AM »
Greetings,
I have the WS-1401 and would like to log data from it.  I am new to Ubuntu/Linux, but I was able to install WeeWx on Ubuntu. Went through setup process, but am not seeing any data.
Initially I picked the Fine Offset driver which upon further review might not be the right one. Switched to Simulator, but still not able to access the html page.
I downloaded an Observer IP drive for WeeWx off of GITHUB but I do not see an option to install the driver.
Any assistance appreciated.

Jeff

Offline bthoven

• Europa Cafe' Private Observatory
Ambient Weather WS-1401-IP OBSERVER to WEEWX
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 12:09:10 PM »
I have an oem version of it with 433Mhz. I replaced its firmware with Aercus weathersleuth 2.1.9 firmware which allows me to redirect the weather packets to my ubuntu server, instead of going to Wunderground (but you will lose the Ambient Weather Dashboard). Then install Interceptor driver https://github.com/matthewwall/weewx-observerip to receive the packets and feed them to Weewx.

Another way which needs more effort
https://obrienlabs.net/redirecting-weather-station-data-from-observerip/#socket
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 12:21:16 PM by bthoven »

Offline santeewxman

Re: Ambient Weather WS-1401-IP OBSERVER to WEEWX
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 04:40:32 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Forgot to mention that I have the 1401 feeding into a Weatherbridge.  Was hoping that would make it easier to log data but doesn't seem that way.

Offline jb92563

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 06:36:15 PM »
I have an oem version of it with 433Mhz. I replaced its firmware with Aercus weathersleuth 2.1.9 firmware which allows me to redirect the weather packets to my ubuntu server, instead of going to Wunderground (but you will lose the Ambient Weather Dashboard). Then install Interceptor driver https://github.com/matthewwall/weewx-observerip to receive the packets and feed them to Weewx.

Another way which needs more effort
https://obrienlabs.net/redirecting-weather-station-data-from-observerip/#socket

Thanks to your info above I was able to load the Aercus weathersleuth 2.1.9 firmware onto my ObserverIP (900mhz US version) that came with my Ambient WS-1400 and use its interface to redirect the Wunderground data to WeeWX running on a Raspberry Pi 3+.
I choose the Pi3+ because it can run without a fan and barely even gets warm.

The WeeWX uses the "Interceptor" driver to capture the data and then forwards the data to Wunderground, Windy and CWOP.

The firmware was a standard upgrade with no issues and now works better than the ObserverIP firmware that relied on Telnet to redirect data.  The old version kept crashing, but now its stable with the Weathersleuth 2.1.9 version plus the interface allows you to redirect the data feed.

This combo provides way more capabilities at less than half the price of a Weather, Meteo or similar bridge devices.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 06:47:04 PM by jb92563 »

Offline WA4OPQ

• Forecaster
  • 4 stations: 2902 array, GW1000, 3 on Meteobridge
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 04:15:32 PM »
If you don't mind spending $35, the Ecowitt GW1000 is a superior replacement for the ObserverIP and has an excellent WeeWx extension.

Offline bthoven

• Europa Cafe' Private Observatory
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 07:31:55 PM »
ObserverIP with Aercus firmware 2.1.9 served me well till my external/builtin humidity sensor broke. Instead of buying a part to replace it inside the 7-in-1 unit, I bought an Ecowitt external temp/humidity sensor (wh32); but it needs Ecowitt gw1000 which I also bought. So my ObserverIP sits idle since then. GW1000 is also very stable and can incorporate additional devices.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 09:21:55 PM by bthoven »

anything