Author Topic: NEW: Meteobridge can share a connected Vantage with another program  (Read 58383 times)

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
As this new feature might be of special interest for Davis Vantage users, I do post here instead of hiding it in the Meteobridge section. ;)

Just released Meteobridge version 2.5 allows to share a connected Davis Vantage with a PC program, which is something very often requested. Now you can have Meteobridge doing the standard tasks, while you still can run your PC weather program of choice to do additional computations with your weather data. Meteobridge acts to your PC like a Davis IP data logger and provides TCP/IP communication on port 22222 (like the original Davis IP data logger). Function is a bit similar to the "Virtual Vantage" program that has been offered as a PC solution. Difference is that Meteobridge also supports LOOP2 communication (which "Virtual Vantage" does not, afaik) but as a downside Meteobridge can handle only one additional client (instead of 8 like "Virtual Vantage"). As the Meteobridge is a WiFi device you also get your Davis data logger accessible via WiFi, which might also be a nice thing in certain setups.

This new development removes the need to decide between using an embedded low-power Meteobridge solution vs a full-power PC solution. You can now do both simultaneously, if you like. :lol:

Link to Meteobridge Forum: http://forum.meteohub.de/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=10115&p=16865#p16865
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 05:27:26 AM by docbee »
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
Re: NEW: Meteobridge can share a connected Vantage with another program
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 06:14:53 AM »
Your stuff keeps getting better by every release, that's very nice. It's probably filling the gap Davis left for 3rd-party developers and independent vendors interfacing to their great stations.

Albeit there's no docs for a large part of their products - the radio protocol had to be dissected by an individual instead of them publishing detailed documentation on it, for instance. That's my concern too. You had to use reverse engineering (and probably some info on the net) to be able to make a receiver and decode all the sensory information available in the radio packets. What can you say about the accuracy of your own solution? Are the calculated values 100% equivalent to the ones eg. the Davis console reports, based on the radio packets of their stations? For instance I know the wind speed reported by the ISS needs a correction table employed by the console or the Envoy, is it used in your solution, for example?

For some time I contemplated on buying a Meteobridge license/Meteostick combo but frankly, these small unknown bits kept me from making a positive decision. Essentially, I'd wanted it to be to be as accurate as the Envoy.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 07:04:24 AM »
@kobuki: you have a PM

Just to avoid confusion. The logger sharing feature is just working on Meteobridges using the classical (or rebuild) data logger. It is not simulating a Davis logger on a Meteobridge that has a Meteostick (RF receiver that reads out sensor data from their direct RF emission). I know that some users have started some work on emulating the Davis logger with software around the RFM69 chips. This is not the approach here. Logger-sharing with Meteobridge is working in a way that Meteobridge hands-over the connection to the logger to the requesting PC and keeps reading/sniffing the data the PC reads out from the logger to update its own sensor information. Polling the logger with LOOP/LOOP2 requests is left to the PC until the PC connection drops. By this we achieve a very high degree of compatibility with the PC programs out there and do NOT have to rebuild the Davis protocol.

As Davis might not be too enthusiastic about all this, we at least take care not to build direct plug-in replacements for Davis products, but functional enhancements to their product line. Peace!  :-P
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 09:24:56 AM »
I have recently licensed a meteobridge using a WR703n nano router, will my license be valid with the new release or do I need to pay the full price to upgrade the license?

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 09:50:18 AM »
I thought a moment if I should make this "killer feature" a premium to be even paid additionally by existing users, but decided not to do that. So the feature is available to all Meteobridge users. The slight license fee increase from 59 to 65 Euro effective since today just impacts new license purchases and helps me to cover ongoing development efforts and EURO Erosion.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 10:17:54 AM »
I rebooted my Meteobridge to pick up the v2.5.

I attempted to connect Weatherlink with just the communication test feature, pointing the IP address to the Meteobridge (w/2.5) and port 22222. It reported:

Cannot establish connection since port is already in use. Please disconnect the device and connect it again.

Then I tried Cumulus (shut down WL first of course), receiving this error:

Error -32701 while trying to initialise the station. Please check your connections and settings.

I looked through the Meteobridge GUI for new settings associated with this new ability on v2.5, but I didn't see anything.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 10:37:22 AM »
I rebooted my Meteobridge to pick up the v2.5.

I attempted to connect Weatherlink with just the communication test feature, pointing the IP address to the Meteobridge (w/2.5) and port 22222. It reported:

Cannot establish connection since port is already in use. Please disconnect the device and connect it again.

Me too! I would appreciate any help with this.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 11:25:38 AM »
There was an error in the build script, so the feature was disabled in my latest upload.
Sorry for that. Please reboot your Meteobridge, should do now fine.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 11:51:23 AM »
Working fine now (on Weatherlink) after the reboot...  \:D/ =D>
This is a really nice feature.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 12:09:41 PM »
Like wise! This is the most fantastic thing I have seen in a long time.  =D>

Offline grahaml

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 12:05:41 AM »
Hi Folks,

New to this so please be gentle ....

I've just set up a Davis Vantage Pro2+ with USB data logger and a Meteobridge.  I was hoping to exploit the Port 22222 capability with the Weatherlink software, but I'm receiving the error described earlier in the thread (see attached) that the port is already in use.  According to the System tab on Meteobridge (see attached) I'm using Meteobridge 2.5 (Feb 24 2015, build 6013), FW 1.4.  I'm using the Davis Instruments Australia DB100AU.

The Meteobridge is communicating fine with weatherunderground (via my LAN) and I'm able to talk to the meteobridge through its web interface so the connections seem good.

Any ideas as to what might be going on?

Cheers,
Graham

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 10:27:43 AM »
As you are not using the mandatory usb hub for your usb datalogger, that might be the root course of trouble. Please add a passive usb hub and try again.

Offline grahaml

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 04:27:13 AM »
Thanks for the reply docbee,

That's a little detail that's missing from the third party doco, although I can see it on the meteobridge wiki. 

Curiously, it's having no trouble receiving data from the Vantage Pro2 via USB and displaying "live" and also uploading to weather underground - even without a hub.  I've encountered stranger things so i'll pick up a USB 2 hub tomorrow and hopefully that'll do the trick.

Thanks again,
Graham

Offline grahaml

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 05:53:17 AM »
Hi Folks,

Thank you for your help so far.

I added the passive USB 2.0 hub but it all continued to work as before.  I'm still receiving the same error when i try to connect to the Meteobridge with the Weatherlink software.  The weatherunderground upload continues to work very well.

Any thoughts?

Ta,
Graham

Offline grahaml

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 05:42:49 AM »
Hi Folks,

I resolved this issue.  Originally I was using a wireless access point that was connected to my modem/router via wired ethernet.  I found that when I moved to the Access point built into the modem/router it all came good.  I probably have some incorrect setting in the access point (which is itself a router configured as an access point).  Anyway, all good.

No USB hub required with my recently purchased Vantage Pro2+ though.

Cheers,
Graham

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 10:43:15 AM »
Which logger are you using that you don't need a USB hub?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline grahaml

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 02:18:42 AM »
Hi Bushman,

I'm just using the Davis Weatherlink USB logger.  I bought it as a bundle with the Vantage Pro2+.  Maybe they've updated the chipset.  The instructions that came with the Davis Instruments Australia Meteobridge didn't mention the need for hub and it did indeed work fine without one.

Data is here: http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ISOUTHAU16#history

Cheers,
Graham

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 11:10:05 AM »
Well that is strange as both the MB WIki and the program  author (Docbee) say it is necessary.  WHich router are you using?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 11:31:41 AM »
I believe that it's recommended to assure reliable long-term operation.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 06:03:24 PM »
I know John.  I found it interesting that the Davis logger can work without the hub.  AFAIK, only Bellfryboy's interface can do without the hub.  Not that 4 or 5 bucks matters....

Offline Jackietools

• https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/a1320598-ae1c-4267-9009-3c86e9215e32
  • Contributor
    • Jackietools
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2015, 09:19:57 PM »
Sorry I'm late learning of this update. Sounds great. Can anyone direct me to or help in explaining how I can connect my Davis Weatherlink program if it is possible. Thanks.

Offline grahaml

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2015, 03:24:37 AM »
Hi Bushman,

Yes, perhaps it won't be reliable.  That's a possibility.

Graham

Offline pinswede

• Weather newbie ;)
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2015, 06:44:40 PM »
This feature is really neat! I now share Cumulus on TCP port 22222 together with Meteobridge (DIR-505) on my very cheap homebrew interface without any problems at all!  \:D/

It even works without the USB 2.0 HUB. But since I'm been adviced to run via the HUB anyway, I'll do it - I'm not asking for trouble...  8-)

So, no doubt you have another customer coming up! (I'm still on 14-day trial) Excellent product!  =D>

Offline BertSP

• Williamson, AZ Wx
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2015, 08:14:04 PM »
I am looking into upgrading my PWS with a Davis Pro2. I also currently use Meteobridge. Since I am new to Davis, what piece of hardware do I need to get to link the Davis unit, say a 6163, to the meteobridge and also be able to use a PC program like cumulus or other.
BertSP
KAZPRESC99, EW/E7016
Ambient WS-1200-IP
Weatherhawk 916 IP
www.s-p.me

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate