Author Topic: Heavy Weather won't sync with 2812  (Read 10658 times)

Offline stev703

Heavy Weather won't sync with 2812
« on: January 11, 2011, 06:21:23 PM »
I have a new 2812 from Costco.  No problem with set up.  Weather station is receiving fine as advertised.  BUT I cannot get the Station to sync with the computer. 
No problem loading the 1.5 version of heavy weather.  The computer, running XP, is recognizing the USB dongle, but it will not sync. Same error message every time.  The station is about 5 feet from the usb port, but I have tried holding it 1 foot away from the USB with the same results.  When the USB dongle was inserted the usual pop up about drivers etc came up and was processed and the message about unauthorized LOGOs or something, but nothing else.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I emailed and called Lacrosse but have received no answer yet.  Of course, it has only been 4 days since my first email to them. Any help appreciated.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Heavy Weather won't sync with 2812
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 06:41:27 PM »
Receiving that " unauthorized LOGO" message seems to be the problem area, not normal. If you leave the USB dongle plugged in and reboot so the PC comes up with it installed do you still get an error message? Also at this point does Device Manager show it in place and with or without a problem (yellow/red exclamation point, question marks)? I believe until this is error is taken care first it doesn't matter with regard to the console's connection, that is, the PC has to be happy with communicating through the USB dongle before it will even look for the console.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 06:43:15 PM by DanS »

Offline stev703

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 11:58:51 PM »
Yes, thanks for the input.  The "Not Logo signed by Microsoft" etc pops up now and then.  I "think!" it is essentially saying that the dongle hasn't been submitted for approval thru Microsoft.  Kind of like going to a website run by the government which has not "been verified" etc.  When I reboot with the usb plugged in, it still appears normal (no exclamaton points etc on the device manager list), but with the same results.  I am afraid Im going to have to take the whole thing down (XC%#G!) and return it to Costco.  I'm not particularly computer literate to begin with, so I may be over my head with this since it begins with a problem!
Thanks for the help.  If you have more suggestions, I will be ready to try them.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 12:44:29 AM »
O.K., since you can unplug the USB device and get the windows beep and device manager shows it now gone then plug it back in, get the acknowledged beep and device manager again shows it's presence (with or without that Logo message and no Device Mngr errors) indicates the USB port should be o.k.  In the Heavyweather program, select the "Extras" tab at the top and then "Resynchronize ..." but press and hold the console down arrow (till beep) before clicking on the Heavyweather "Synchronize" button, this is where you're not getting the "beep and connected", correct? (I believe there's about 30 secs or so for you to setup and click sync or it has to be started over). Dongle compatibility? I also use Windows XP, same USB dongle type and never got that LOGO message. Not saying that's the problem but with all you've tried that's the only thing I see different. Odd, keep a record of all these tests for LaCrosse if they ever answer you. You can tell them all this and won't have to reinvent the wheel all over again.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:53:27 AM by DanS »

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 01:33:39 AM »
I also use Windows XP, same USB dongle type and never got that LOGO message. Not saying that's the problem but with all you've tried that's the only thing I see different.

Is it possible that it's a firewall or av problem or conflict?

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 01:38:15 AM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 02:36:52 AM »
I also use Windows XP, same USB dongle type and never got that LOGO message. Not saying that's the problem but with all you've tried that's the only thing I see different.

Is it possible that it's a firewall or av problem or conflict?

I was thinking about that as well and did find another thing to check. My Computer, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Driver Signing (button in the middle). Try checking the "ignore" button if it isn't already. (They do mention Logo testing at the top)

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:54:59 AM by DanS »

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 06:16:35 PM »
...with the reported problems with syncing the display (weather station) I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that was able to sync it up?  If so, what OS are you running.  When I did my brother-in-law's, he didn't want to use the computer display.  Is only using the weather station display.

Offline Oceans

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 07:00:55 PM »
The USB dongle is apparently USB 2.0 - If you are using an older computer with USB 1.0 that could be a problem for not synchronizing.

Offline pierce

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 12:52:09 AM »
the dongle I got with my WS2812 had a VendorID of 'test device', the reserved Vendor ID 6666 (and device ID 5555) which is never supposed to be used in production.    it reports itself to be a generic HID (human input device) and has no special drivers, only the generic windows HID driver (hidclass.sys, hidparse.sys, hidusb.sys, and hid.dll), at least as far as I can see.

first make sure your 2812's display panel is synchronizing with the weather instruments, then do the HW Resynchronize, down arrow til it beeps, push the sync button on the HW program, a few seconds later, the console should beep again, and a few more seconds Heavy Weather should display your data.

heavyweather talks to it via the generic HID device interface in Windows.  I started to play with a USB snoop program and grabbed a 30 second sample of the protocol, but I haven't taken that any farther

Offline stev703

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 09:39:47 AM »
@DanS: That is the same error message re logo testing.  I tried "ignoring" load anyway etc.  No recognition of the USB device.  Have tried all varieties of going around this.
@Slow Modem--Maybe.  I tried turning off my AV program, adblocker, etc. Same result.  Starting restarting. Redownloading software etc.  Same results.
@Ocean: Don't think that is the problem.
@Pierce:Same thing with the installed drivers for HID compliant.  Just doesn't work. 
Thanks to all.  Still trying!  I am getting a little tired of the "beep"!

Offline 2812owner

• La Crosse WS-2812
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 03:59:12 PM »
VaJim,

I am running Windows XP and have never had any problems whatsoever syncing.  I installed my unit about 11/6/10.  The unit has worked great with the exception that one time I had to bring everything in the house to "restart" it all as I was having intermittent contact with the anny.  (My roofline and stucco may have caused too much interference for the signal so, I raised the anny mast another 4 feet and have had no problems since.  We have had plenty of rain, including 16 inches in a one-week stretch, and still no problems (i.e., apparently no water leakage)!  Perhaps Stev703 should try a different USB port as I have experienced that sometimes a device will work on one port but not another!  (Can't hurt!)  Certainly keep the display within a few feet of the dongle during the initial setup; this is required because the dongle doesn't want to inadvertently connect to another nearby display.  Once they sniff each other out for the first time, they identify each other by code and, because they are monogamous, you can then move them (up to 80 feet) apart.  If the computer doesn't "see" the dongle, no way Heavyweather will connect to the display.  Good luck, Steve.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 04:08:44 PM »
@DanS: That is the same error message re logo testing.  I tried "ignoring" load anyway etc.  No recognition of the USB device.  Have tried all varieties of going around this.
@Slow Modem--Maybe.  I tried turning off my AV program, adblocker, etc. Same result.  Starting restarting. Redownloading software etc.  Same results.
@Ocean: Don't think that is the problem.
@Pierce:Same thing with the installed drivers for HID compliant.  Just doesn't work. 
Thanks to all.  Still trying!  I am getting a little tired of the "beep"!

Could you explain the "beep" and anything associated with it please? May be something to point us in the right direction there.

Offline 2812owner

• La Crosse WS-2812
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 04:41:58 PM »
DanS,

While you're waiting for Stev703 to reply, I'll mention that during the 2812 syncing process, you must press and hold the "down arrow" on the display until it beeps (it then transmits a "find me" signal for 30 seconds.)  You then must click the "synchronize" button on a Heavyweather software pop-up window that causes the dongle to search for the display's signal.  If the dongle finds the display signal and syncs, the display beeps again and the data begins to appear on your computer screen.  Perhaps Stev703 is getting tired of pushing the down arrow and hearing the initial beep!  I hope he hears the second beep soon....!

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 04:58:26 PM »
Thanks, I realize that as noted in my reply #3 to this thread http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=10126.msg96879#msg96879 . I was just wondering if he may be getting a "beep" from the PC as it boots or from an error generated from the USB dongle that may give us a further clue. The 2 main issues that I'm seeing are, 1, PC has to work with and accept the USB dongle properly and, 2, (then) PC communicates with the console through the USB dongle ( the HeavyWeather program not even considered yet ). I'm still not convinced no. 1, the PC and/or USB dongle are cooperating. This due to the error he mentions about the "Windows LOGO" being displayed with regard to the dongle being recognized even with the "Windows LOGO testing" ignore selected.   ;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 05:23:45 PM by DanS »

Offline 2812owner

• La Crosse WS-2812
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 05:11:26 PM »
DanS,

Got it!

Offline stev703

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 10:04:58 AM »
Right, Dan.  I was just talking about the beep from pushing the weather station button when trying to synchronize. 

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 10:19:52 AM »
You wouldn't happen to have another PC to try temporarily would you? That would narrow things down a lot.

Offline stev703

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 05:34:59 PM »
Yeah, I will try it tonight on my laptop.  Different OS though.  Vista. 

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 06:09:23 PM »
Yeah, I will try it tonight on my laptop.  Different OS though.  Vista. 

Great! I see the requirements in the SW manual specify Vista sp1 or greater. Looking forward to hearing your results.

Offline stev703

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 12:59:08 PM »
Tried it last night on laptop running Vista.  Same results.  On this computer it also decided the WV5 communication was not started.  It was.  So stopped and restarted that a few times.  No luck.  Same result--No weather station found.  Could not sync.  Soon as it dries out around here, I am taking it all down and back to the store.  Rain gauge not working now either! I guess I should have just bought another OS 968! 
Anyway thanks for all the help.

Offline stev703

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 06:23:52 PM »
UPDATE:  Received call from LaCrosse Support on the 16th.  After a brief discussion, the tech stated he was sending me a new USB.  It arrived yesterday.  Everything worked as described almost immediately.
Now that THAT is solved, I will begin trying to get my old Virtual Weather software updated to (hopefully) work with the Heavy Weather to be able to post on the net.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 07:47:19 PM »
Good deal and I'm glad that it came to life after all you've been through. =D>

If you have difficulty with your VW software or want to go another route in getting your station data online, WuHu software does this wonderfully and can be downloaded from here - http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/ .

Offline pierce

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 08:19:53 PM »
I tried to use VWS with the 2812's HW and failed.   it would read the history.dat file but got some values ridiculously far out of range (136MPH winds!), so I went back to WeatherDisplay which works with the currdat.1st file.

anything