Author Topic: New guy needs some advice.  (Read 890 times)

Offline griffgil1

New guy needs some advice.
« on: October 04, 2019, 02:58:52 PM »
Just purchased the Ambient Weather WS-2000.  Has great reviews, reasonable price, and is pretty simple to use/set up.  Big problem though.....the buildings on my ranch are all steel sided and roofed, and the wireless feature(s) don't function, i.e. zero range going outside.  So, any recommendations on what system to use in my situation?  I am really, REALLY, technology illiterate, and need something that doesn't require a PhD (or even a B.S.) in computers and electronics to set up.  "Plug and play" and wireless are ideal, but not sure I can use a wireless system with steel buildings.  Thanks for the help.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: New guy needs some advice.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 03:08:00 PM »
Several options:

• Get a GW1000 from Ecowitt to add to your hardware as it has been reported to grab sensors from greater range than the display console. This does mean that your display obviously wont work. Just use the GW1000 to publish data to several places. So that is a bit much to pay [price of WS-2000] if the display isn't gong to work. You'd have been better off saving some money and getting a WS-1900 plus a GW1000. Yes you throw out the WS-1900 display too...but at least it is a cheaper station with the same sensors as a WS-2000.
  • If you are comfortable with a soldering iron you could look up yagi antenna modification. There is a post somewhere in this forum of someone that did exactly this with pictures of the install.
  • Send the WS-2000 back and get a Davis Vantage Pro 2 as it has 1000 ft range. Just don't get a Davis Vue as they are not able to have sensors replaced...in particular the temp/hum sensor that inevitably needs replacing sooner or later as with any other station.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 09:01:24 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 03:13:52 PM »
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 03:17:22 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 12:22:26 AM »
Just purchased the Ambient Weather WS-2000.  Has great reviews, reasonable price, and is pretty simple to use/set up.  Big problem though.....the buildings on my ranch are all steel sided and roofed, and the wireless feature(s) don't function, i.e. zero range going outside.

I'm not sure what you mean by "zero range going outside".  Are you talking about a WiFi signal getting outside?  You don't need a WiFi signal outside the building.

The outdoor sensor signal (not WiFi) making it to the inside a steel building is usually the biggest concern.  Strategic placement of the receiving display near a window or translucent panel may be all you need.