Author Topic: Astronomy amd Astrophotography  (Read 612 times)

Offline dasman

• Forecaster
    • Wx Peotone
Astronomy amd Astrophotography
« on: September 07, 2020, 08:17:42 PM »
I started the down the road of Astronomy and Astrophotography.  Both are weather dependant. Here is a collection of shots i took this summer while learning. I have a 16 inch truss tube dob and a MallinCam DS287C camera. Astrophotography is not ideal on a dobsonian telescope but it was expensive and we work with what we have. Pictured are the Gas Giants Jupiter and Saturn, along with the Planet Mars in the upper right. Then you have to nebulas The Cats Eye Nebula and the Ring Nebula.  Finally in the Middle is the Hercules Star Cluster.

Note the 2 black circles on Jupiter. I took that photo while two moons were transiting accross Jupiter. That is basically 2 seperate eclipses, occurring at the same time, as seen from space!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 05:40:36 AM by dasman »
Dave Sommerfed
Peotone Illinois USA
CW7762, KILPEOT1
NWS COOP, CoCoRaHS, Spotter Network

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
Re: Astronomy amd Astrophotography
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 10:09:57 PM »
Thanks for sharing. From a complete layman's point of view, I enjoyed the photos. Could you identify, except Saturn. That one I know. :-)

Offline TrugWX

• Senior Meteorologist (ret), Australian Bureau of Meteorology
  • Senior Contributor
  • Truganina Weather
    • Truganina Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 11:20:58 PM »
Very impressive photos. Well done.

Offline Jibster

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 10:32:18 AM »
Very nice! I love the shadows on Jupiter. I got started in astrophotography this past year, and it is amazing to see what is in the sky from my backyard.
ECOWITT GW1000 | WH32 | WS68 | WH40 | WH57
KNCRALEI888

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 11:12:44 AM »
Wow! Great pics Dave! Was out the other night with my spotting scope looking at Jupiter and Saturn (nothing like your pics) and got me thinking of investing in a decent telescope and camera. My scope is used for birding so not ideal for astronomy.

Bill
Bill

Offline dasman

• Forecaster
    • Wx Peotone
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 03:52:54 AM »
Here is a shot of Mars from last week when Mars was at its closest. They are the same image. The image with the polar cap at the bottom is the correct orientation.  It is also cropped to make it bigger, so some detail is lost. It is definitely my best shot of Mars.
Dave Sommerfed
Peotone Illinois USA
CW7762, KILPEOT1
NWS COOP, CoCoRaHS, Spotter Network

anything