Author Topic: lighting detectors and fireworks...  (Read 431 times)

Offline funsutton

• Contributor
    • Weather Underground
lighting detectors and fireworks...
« on: July 04, 2020, 10:26:59 PM »
I know the technology isn't supposed to work this way, but just curious if any lightning detectors actually detect on neighborhood fireworks?

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
Re: lighting detectors and fireworks...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 12:15:25 AM »
Nope, it doesn't look like it.  No lightning readings in the metro areas here that don't already have thunderstorms here:
http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=31

Instead, it's about the air quality index as an indicator.  To no surprise of my own after hearing constant blasts outside tonight, my air quality sensor vertically skyrocketed from 20 before dark to 115 at around 10:30pm.  Over to the east an hour away in a much more populated area, NW Tulsa peaked at around  224.  The Tulsa suburb of Broken Arrow peaked  at around 212.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 01:40:13 AM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 01:24:04 AM »
It's 12:20am, the blasts have quieted down and the air quality index has declined to 60.  In far northern Stillwater, which is considerably less urban it declined to 29.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Online DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 09:24:54 AM »
funsutton:

There are cost-of-a-good-used-car devices that link two technologies, that of the electrostatic field measurement (which can be stand alone) along with a photosensor looking for flashes of light (I don't have one so I don't know if it is color filtered or not) that have been used for big open pit mines and for some outdoor events like golf to warn of impending conditions.

Of course this doesn't do much for the bolt out of the blue (maybe the electrostatic field would in that case.

I've never heard of anyone using thunder as an indicator, either.  What with truck and road noise in populated areas, and maybe low flying jets giving a false trigger, I would think the utmost in detection would include this method, too.  Maybe Alexa would listen in to see if s/he could hear distant thunder and add that to the alert equation, which would then have to look to see if this had an explosion sound characteristic, vs. the sound of thunder in it's various forms that we all recognize. 

Not to be too macabre, but there are cities which have, yes, gunshot detectors to alert to the sound of gunshots and a sort of a Time Of Arrival system with multiple microphones to help triangulate what part of the monitored area is having gunfire.  I'm thinking they must have algorithms to characterize the sound. 

Like the big underwater submarine detector network that listens for marine noises, and was used to listen in on whales and determine migrations, I wonder if this technology would be able to detect thunder.

Boltek and TOA and Blitzortung can sniff out electrical disturbances from hundreds of miles away, yet even close storms sometimes don't have visible flashes, so thunder might be a helpful thing to listen for.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php