Author Topic: Help with WxFlash  (Read 10085 times)

Offline LarsWX

• Ewing Weather
Help with WxFlash
« on: February 03, 2009, 04:37:11 PM »
After not having any luck getting WxFlash to work correctly I contacted Tim West and he told me that godaddy web sites dont work very well with this program "From past experience we can tell you that WeatherFlash simply doesn't work on GoDaddy as they have restricted their web service far too much for it to be able to operate." Now what am I suposed to do, no way Iam dropping $89 on a program that I cant even get the trial version to run, any ideas??? Thanks in advance for replies to this problem, Larry

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: Help with WxFlash
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 04:50:59 PM »
That's why they have trial versions, thankfully. 

What exactly is not working?  What is your URL for the flash page...

I have a godaddy site, I have not configured wflash, but is runs in the background.  I just loaded the demo page, it loads, by I have no instruments setup, so its hard to tell if I am missing anything.

I am sure there are some godaddy's here using wflash...

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline LarsWX

• Ewing Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 05:39:46 PM »
Site is ewingwx.com , ie7 and fire fox each act different, one lets the page load with evalution copy across the background, but then I cant unlock the page , the other shows a message that the flash movie script is slowing the computer, the funny thing I see about this program is it uses flash version 6...the current version is 10.

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 08:29:06 PM »
Maybe it's an issue with the "Free" sites hosted by Godaddy??
I've been running WeatherFlash for several years on a Godaddy linux host and haven't had any problems.
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 12:31:21 AM »
Could you post a link to where your weatherflash files are?
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline Meteorologica

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 01:37:53 AM »
He is trying to run it on their free pages and has only partially quoted our sales team's response. They did explain that it won't run on GoDaddy's free pages due to their restrictions. I'm also not sure that the free pages even support ASP or PHP so if not then its a non starter. GoDaddy's free pages insert adverts to everything that they serve and that simply screws up WeatherFlash.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 07:38:25 AM »
I figured that might be the case. I know Anthony cant run some basic PHP due to the ad insertion code....
Andrew

He is trying to run it on their free pages and has only partially quoted our sales team's response. They did explain that it won't run on GoDaddy's free pages due to their restrictions. I'm also not sure that the free pages even support ASP or PHP so if not then its a non starter. GoDaddy's free pages insert adverts to everything that they serve and that simply screws up WeatherFlash.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 08:21:17 AM »
Heres my very simply conclusion. If you have a site at GD and you want WF to work. Get your self some paid hosting with GD. The ad banners at the top of the pages on GD prevent the php scripts from running in WF.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline LarsWX

• Ewing Weather
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 04:11:57 PM »
Ok I wll try a paid site with gd and take it from there, btw when I set it up it asked of I wanted windows or linux with the choices of php or asp.net, I did talk to gd support about plain asp and was told that plain asp is supported when the asp.net choices are checked off, thanks for all the ideas and I will update when I have tried gd paid, Larry

Offline Meteorologica

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 04:42:33 PM »
If I was to suggest paid web hosting that supported WeatherFlash I would definetly NOT suggest any of the GoDaddy packages as we have had trouble getting some of their packages to work properly in the past. Their are plenty of better hosting packages out there. Users here will suggest them I'm sure.

Offline LarsWX

• Ewing Weather
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 09:06:31 PM »
Paid site seems to work somewhat, I got program to unlock but cant save new password or weather insterments , also program seems to update weather info from vws, what am I missing???

Offline LarsWX

• Ewing Weather
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 10:06:56 PM »
Ok looks like I got it working, thanks for all the help  :grin:

Offline LarsWX

• Ewing Weather
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 06:54:52 AM »
UPDATE / Got paid version up and running with a strange problem, page wont load with ie7 but works fine with firefox, anyone know whats up with that??

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 07:23:04 AM »
UPDATE / Got paid version up and running with a strange problem, page wont load with ie7 but works fine with firefox, anyone know whats up with that??

Gotta URL? That would help.

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline LarsWX

• Ewing Weather
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 07:49:34 AM »
www.ewingwx.com

All fixed now.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 09:24:56 AM by LarsWX »

Offline Meteorologica

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 09:57:14 AM »
running with a strange problem, page wont load with ie7 but works fine with firefox, anyone know whats up with that??

This is because some email clients add an unrequired, hidden, carriage return character to the end of the data string in the key.txt file.

To fix it you simply edit the file in Notepad and cursor to the end of the line as far as it will go, you usually see the cursor jump down to the line below. You then simply use the back edit key to remove this unseen character until the cursor sits at the end of the visible characters. Resave it, upload it and it should be fixed.

Offline LarsWX

• Ewing Weather
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 05:38:45 PM »
I have noticed my web site seems to lockup for a hour or so during the day, wxflash wont update and I cant ftp into the web site, hosting company tests web site and claims things are working but the trouble here is with TWO COMPUTERS with TWO DIFFERENT PROGRAMS...this is what Iam trying get through to them, strange thing the times this happens are random and things start working on there own after 15min to a few hours, anyone else experence this before??

Btw I can unlock the page and edit the site with no trouble.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 06:39:24 PM by LarsWX »

Offline maxinminn

• Coon Rapids, MN Weather
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 08:04:18 AM »
Maybe it's an issue with the "Free" sites hosted by Godaddy??
I've been running WeatherFlash for several years on a Godaddy linux host and haven't had any problems.

I too have a Go Daddy paid site and the Windows based asp has been working fine. In fact, I just flipped my site from the Windows to the Linux hosting and changed wxflash to php with no problems, once I updated the proper scripts.

John Dooley
www.coonrapidsweather.com
est. Jan 2000
OSI WMR 918
VWS v14.54p

Offline LarsWX

• Ewing Weather
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 09:17:21 PM »
I stopped using ftp to update wxflash and setup asp updating and things seem ok now, any advantages to php over asp??

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 09:34:58 PM »
I stopped using ftp to update wxflash and setup asp updating and things seem ok now, any advantages to php over asp??

It's more of a question of which, asp or php, is supported by your web host server. If asp is working for you, then apparently your server supports asp and I'd leave well enough alone. =D>

Regarding using ftp to upload the WxFlash files to the web server---it wasn't intended to use ftp. That's why Tim (Meteorologica) designed it to run asp or php.

Kevin...
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3